Volume boost with IRs

Everyone needs a stompbox.
Jmaster_17
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Volume boost with IRs

Post by Jmaster_17 » Fri Feb 09, 2024 11:40 am

’ve been running into an issue where my boost pedal will not add any more volume when using an IR

Currently running a lot of pedals so here’s the simple rundown

Input > octaves > compressor > Modulaton > drives > bitcrusher > clean boost > iridium > reverb/delay

The irs I bought from celestion and are not the stock ones

What I’ve had problems with is when I have my drives on (I’ll usually stack 2 for two gain stages) and then I hit the boost, it’s too compressed or something to get any sort of volume boost. It still adds gain pushing the IR like it would a real amp but no volume increase

Yes I have tried using the built in fav footswitch as a boost. Works decently but when traveling a lot to different size venues and knobs get moved it’s not the most consistent

(I don’t check these forms super often so sorry if there’s a late or no response)

marqueemoon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Volume boost with IRs

Post by marqueemoon » Fri Feb 09, 2024 12:36 pm

That’s odd. Maybe you’re out of headroom.

Is your compressor always on? If so I would start by dialing back its output.

zhivago
Mods
Mods

Post by zhivago » Fri Feb 09, 2024 1:12 pm

Does the Iridium have an FX loop? If so put the boost in there?
Resident Spartan.

fuzzjunkie
Expat
Expat

Post by fuzzjunkie » Fri Feb 09, 2024 1:57 pm

I also think you’ve got a headroom issue.

I’ve never used an Iridium, but does it have a master volume? If so that might act as a limiter for how loud your signal can get.

As a long time fuzz and boost user, I almost never stack 2 hi-gain pedals together. A fuzz and a boost can sound great, but not a Big Muff into a Super Fuzz. The results are almost always less than the individual sounds. You run out of headroom and there’s no dynamics. I just always hear an over compressed mess rather than something interesting. That’s just me though, I know that’s been a popular technique for at least a decade now.

If you want a volume increase from the entire chain and not just from trying to boost the Iridium, I would place it after your reverb. Before you’re probably going to overdrive the delay and reverb inputs which won’t sound great. That probably won’t work if you’re using stereo sends.

If you want a clean boost going into the Iridium AND you want a volume boost at the end of the chain, I would recommend a stereo volume pedal after the reverb. Then you can set the full volume as the loudest level you want for a lead boost and then dial it back for the rest.

Ernie Ball used to make one and it had an adjustment knob for presetting the lowest and highest levels. That way you don’t have to guess between what your rhythm volume level is after rolling it up for a solo. I’m sure there’s other options out there now.

If not a volume pedal, a lot of reverb pedals can have the output level controlled by an expression pedal. Works the same as above but without the potential tone suck. It requires the reverb to by always on though, if it’s true bypass.