Briefcase / suitcase ideas

Everyone needs a stompbox.
MKR
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Briefcase / suitcase ideas

Post by MKR » Sat Apr 13, 2024 7:21 pm

I need to replace my pedal train pedal board as the case fabric is coming apart. I could probably mend it or something, but I want to mix it up.
I picked up a perfect vintage briefcase that I want to convert into a pedal board. I think I’ll be able to add a pedal or 2 to my board as my old board was the pedal train mini. The briefcase should give me an extra row (albeit shorter).

Anyways, does anyone here use a briefcase pedal board? I have a nice plank of wood for my base.

I’d love to see some peoples briefcase suitcase pedal boards for inspiration. One kind of big question I have is do you leave the pedals in the case while using them or do you take out the wood plank with pedals from the case during use? I would assume to take the board out of the case while playing and only use the briefcase as a transporting unit, but im curious if some people leave everything in the briefcase while playing?

Also feel free to post some pics of your briefcase pedal boards here. I’m looking for some inspiration.

JSett
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Briefcase / suitcase ideas

Post by JSett » Sat Apr 13, 2024 9:10 pm

I don't have a picture but for a while I used an old 80s Samsonite briefcase and cut a piece of ply the right size. The Samsonite ones are great because they're super lightweight, slimline AND rigid.

This is what was inside...

I just used to lift it out for gigs.
Last edited by JSett on Sat Apr 13, 2024 9:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Silly Rabbit, don't you know scooped mids are for kids?

fuzzjunkie
Expat
Expat

Post by fuzzjunkie » Sat Apr 13, 2024 9:12 pm

Carrying pedalboards in luggage cases was pretty common before Pedaltrain type boards that came in their own carrying cases became popular.

I only remember seeing one or two where the guitarist left the board in the case though.

I went through several Goodwill sourced Samsonite cases but I don’t think I have any pictures of them? Probably on MySpace somewhere. All were covered in band stickers and held together by duct tape. Pedals were large and mounted to 1/2” plywood. A 6-8 outlet power strip was standard as well.

For years my main board held a Roland BeeBaa, large box Rat, Vox Wag, Colorsound Tonebender, A/DA Flanger, and a DMM.

Futuron
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Futuron » Sat Apr 13, 2024 10:02 pm

The problem with leaving the pedals in such cases on stage is that the case walls can make it difficult to stomp on some

MKR
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by MKR » Sun Apr 14, 2024 8:56 am

Cool thanks for the info.

. I’ll probably buy some foam from a hardware store to cut to size and that should keep the pedals nice and secure when I’m t carrying it around.

Also I feel like I will loose some extra carrying space for my main cables and stuff. I guess ll just use the guitar case for that.

i love sharin foo
Mods
Mods

Post by i love sharin foo » Sun Apr 14, 2024 1:53 pm

When I was traveling with my setup back when dinosaurs still roamed the earth, I used a few different suitcases. I had one setup to leave the board in it but I preferred them out of the cases. Like mentioned already, the lids mights be a bit thick, making it difficult to get to your switches. Or not. Just depends on the lid and how tall your pedals are. I usually used two separate boards like I still do, but I stacked them both in the same case, one board on top of the other. I had various pieces of foam around and between everything.
A death’s head ring upon his finger