PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Strymon with a £700 reverb

Post by cestlamort » Wed May 01, 2024 10:21 am

sal paradise wrote:
Wed May 01, 2024 10:12 am
cestlamort wrote:
Wed May 01, 2024 8:25 am
Eventide is the Android phone: I can do anything with this… if only I had a degree in engineering.

Strymon is the iPhone: ok, this I can sort of figure out. But it costs how much???
I'd suggest that Eventide is Linux and Strymon is MacOS
(or Windows 10? How well does strymon work? I know I've been frustrated by the secondary functions on their smaller pedals. Meris may be windows, since you need some ugly third party utility to get to the functional editing that should be built in from the start.)

s_mcsleazy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by s_mcsleazy » Wed May 01, 2024 11:00 am

coming soon to the pedalboard of every worship guitar player on instagram
offset guitars resident bass player.
'Are you trying to seduce me Mrs Robinson? Or do you just want me to solder a couple of resistors into your Muff?'

crazyzeke
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by crazyzeke » Wed May 01, 2024 12:38 pm

marqueemoon wrote:
Wed May 01, 2024 6:09 am
For recording this kind of money will buy a lot in the plugin world.
It absolutely will.

Personally I want and will eventually buy the weirdest, coolest sounding reverb I've come across and it's a tiny tiny little thing too...

I think I'd have about £615 change, maybe more maybe less depending on where I got it from.

---

cestlamort wrote:
Wed May 01, 2024 8:25 am
It's great that companies are making pedals that are super duper powerful, but that also means that the more basic pedals seem to be getting more expensive as well

Not really, as long as big name brands aren't your priority.

I deliberately built a board out of Behringer/Dolamo/Danelectro stuff recently to prove a point - the PDM1 modulation delay that sits on that board is worth more than basically everything around it, which I find hilarious. It was about the only thing I couldn't find a cheap version of that would sound like it does, which is dreamy af. I think the cheapest thing on it is the Behringer CS400 Compressor, £15 shipped, works just as well as one from Boss/Ibanez/anyone else.

If that board gets trashed or damaged I'd be sad, sure, but I'd murder someone who destroyed a board made out of boutique stuff. But then my perspective is I want the best balance of cheap/replaceable/best sound quality I can get because I gig a fair bit and I'm not always the most careful with my gear - nor is anyone else and I don't have control over that.

cestlamort wrote:
Wed May 01, 2024 10:21 am
I'd suggest that Eventide is Linux and Strymon is MacOS
I wish it was like macOS because macOS is free ;D
2003 CIJ Fender Jaguar, sunburst (SJAG-3n neck, SHR-1b bridge, 500K lead circuit pots/speed knobs, Mastery bridge, Buzz Stop, Squier JM JM vibrato plate, modified whammy bar)

2022 MIM Fender Meteora, cosmic jade (top mounted input jack added)

JamesSGBrown
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JamesSGBrown » Wed May 01, 2024 1:54 pm

I have an Eventide Space that killed any desire for any other reverbs for me. The Spring mode could be better but that's what my amps are for.
If they bring out a Timeline version of this, I could be interested. But it'd need the ability to take in and output a line-level signal for use with outboard without a re-amp box (which for all I know this might).

ryland
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by ryland » Wed May 01, 2024 2:00 pm

I can't stomach another fancy reverb pedal. I love reverb, but I'm set. I have no use for weird pitched shimmers or ungodly huge hall sounds...and the basic reverbs have been well modeled already.

I might be interested in an updated Timeline...better yet, if they put the useful settings of both the Big Sky and Timeline into one pedal, I'd seriously consider it.

sal paradise
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by sal paradise » Wed May 01, 2024 2:35 pm

Yes, a Time Sky would be perfect :-*
I have nothing to offer anybody, except my own confusion?

GreenKnee
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by GreenKnee » Wed May 01, 2024 10:47 pm

sal paradise wrote:
Wed May 01, 2024 2:35 pm
Yes, a Time Sky would be perfect :-*
Strymon Big Line

ryland
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by ryland » Thu May 02, 2024 1:15 pm

I'm sorry, no. It would have to be Sky Time.

;D

jorri
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by jorri » Thu May 02, 2024 2:15 pm

crazyzeke wrote:
Wed May 01, 2024 4:06 am
It's funny how many pedals these days are like a multi-effects layout but with just a couple of effects - to me the interface looks like early-2000s Boss GT or similar stuff, it's even got the rotary pot on the left like the GT-6/8 had.

I'm sure it sounds amazing especially in a mix but that's a lot of money when I already have a couple of amps with spring verb on it that sound great and it's one knob on either amp, plus the size of it means it's a hard sell if your pedalboard space is already limited. Strymon is your boutique "yes it's worth the money if you want the best" thing, but live honestly it's probably not something you'll notice compared to a half-decent smaller bud box reverb pedal.
those GT6 were kind of radical to be honest. IIRC Completely programmable arpeggiator and harmoniser, more usable synth fx than the 'compact' series, weird stuff like fretless simulator. Of course, drives aren't the best, but I wonder how much one costs, probably nothing compared to the equivalent compact fx.

So the equation is: MultiFX minus amp sims and digital distortion = cool high fidelity pedal ;D
JamesSGBrown wrote:
Wed May 01, 2024 1:54 pm
I have an Eventide Space that killed any desire for any other reverbs for me. The Spring mode could be better but that's what my amps are for.
If they bring out a Timeline version of this, I could be interested. But it'd need the ability to take in and output a line-level signal for use with outboard without a re-amp box (which for all I know this might).
True, but Eventide's $700 pedal is 'all the factors in one' so you get space, timeline, pitchfactor. If that's eventide's equivalent it interests me way more. Because more is more. And it does more than one at once so it really is a multi-fx.

crazyzeke
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by crazyzeke » Thu May 02, 2024 2:46 pm

jorri wrote:
Thu May 02, 2024 2:15 pm
those GT6 were kind of radical to be honest. IIRC Completely programmable arpeggiator and harmoniser, more usable synth fx than the 'compact' series, weird stuff like fretless simulator. Of course, drives aren't the best, but I wonder how much one costs, probably nothing compared to the equivalent compact fx.
It's a weird thing I found with the Boss GT series, because I've owned the 3, 5, 6 and 8 plus used the 10, then lost interest when they changed the form factor completely. 3 and 5 were great, 6 I didn't like, 10 I didn't like. I still own a GT-3 and GT-8.

I consider the GT-8 as the GT-6 "done right", full of usable tones. I quite like the drives on it actually - you have to fiddle around with the multiple layers of EQ to get something good. I recommend boosting the input presence on the Master/Output section or wherever it is, and then using the EQ on every patch with the low boosted a bit and some specific mid frequencies rolled out to get rid of harshness, I think boost 500Hz a few dB, cut 2.5kHz by about -7db and it seems to sort out both the cleans and the drives. Best gain sound on it tends to be the Blues OD, plus the RAT and Guv'nor clones are good. One of the most unique sounds is the Oct Fuzz which is a misnomer because it's modelling the old Roland FM-2 Fuzz Master back when Roland were still called Acetone. Absolutely love that thing.

There's some unique stuff like the Slicer too - I came up with a preset last night that uses delay, the RAT, 7-String Wah and the Slicer which is like a tremolo with different "rhythms" as in it has patterns of volume rather than fading out and in to the same place. When you assign the pattern switching to the expression pedal you can basically create synth LFO dance music type stuff, because one of the real special abilities of those GTs is being able to assign almost anything to the control and expression pedals, plus hooking up two more control pedals can be done using any amp switcher with a stereo 1/4" jack.

Anyway, I've been using these for years and could write tonnes about them as I've done more gigs with them than anything else. Very versatile and I loved the fact one mains adapter and two cables (three for stereo amps) could give me an easy setup/pack away.
2003 CIJ Fender Jaguar, sunburst (SJAG-3n neck, SHR-1b bridge, 500K lead circuit pots/speed knobs, Mastery bridge, Buzz Stop, Squier JM JM vibrato plate, modified whammy bar)

2022 MIM Fender Meteora, cosmic jade (top mounted input jack added)

Unicorn Warrior
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Unicorn Warrior » Thu May 02, 2024 3:09 pm

I mean, I guess they were due. I was kindof late to the game with the Big Sky. I just grabbed one a year and a half ago. I really like it though. I don’t really see myself grabbing this new one. At least not for a long time. My board is nothing but ambient pedals already. The Big Sky does exactly what I want already.

I will admit that I need to watch the demos a bit more, just to see if I’m missing anything.

javier-san
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by javier-san » Fri May 03, 2024 10:52 am

It sounds and looks cool, but it's a bit more than I can justify spending (at least right now).

I'm a fan of Strymon and have their Nightsky and Volante on my at-home board, BUT if you're looking for a reverb pedal that has stereo I/O and can run two reverbs (and delays w/modulation)...Boss RV-500 is where it's at. It's not the most intuitive pedal and the out of the box presets are not great, but if you spend time with it, you can get some really great reverbs! They can be found for fairly cheap.

CS
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by CS » Sat May 04, 2024 7:30 pm

I've just bought a poly verbs and have the red panda mki and a slo. All 3 cost less than this pedal. 2 don't need a lots of amps.

I did do a lot of p and w back in the day and you couldn't beat a dmm. Actually you can't beat a dmm for normal music as well

smjenkins
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by smjenkins » Sat May 04, 2024 7:42 pm

ryland wrote:
Thu May 02, 2024 1:15 pm
I'm sorry, no. It would have to be Sky Time.

;D
I know you all are telling jokes here (like the Big Line pic legit made me lol), but Sky Line is right there and is a good enough name that they might make that pedal just because of it.

OffYourFace
Mods
Mods

Post by OffYourFace » Sat May 04, 2024 8:12 pm

Can someone explain this pedal to me?.... cuz they already had the Big Sky. So they revamped it with a new display/interface and made it $200 more expensive? Is that it? or is like two big skies (dual dsp etc) in one pedal or something? What am I missing?