Re: The D.I.Y. thread.

Post by jorri » Wed Apr 07, 2021 10:52 am

fuzzjunkie wrote:
Mon Mar 29, 2021 5:48 pm
s_mcsleazy wrote:
Mon Mar 29, 2021 11:01 am
fuzzjunkie wrote:
Mon Mar 29, 2021 9:34 am

Have you finished the Harmonic Percolator, Sean?

I have wondered about that pedal for a while, one of the few I haven’t at least tried. I only know it by reputation and video demos.
i've built a few in the past and loved them. what i've found about them is their kinda like the mosrite fuzzrite in they need a recovery stage or you'll have to really crank the volume.

the ones in the past i've built have been really fun but imho, they're not as big a part to the shellac/big black guitar sound as people think. like it's kinda the last 15% of that sound but you wanna get closest without one, run a jmp/bassman with a single coil guitar and copper guitar picks. it will get you mostly there.
Thanks for the review. Yeah, single coils and Bassman are my jam. No copper picks though I did try a six pence for a bit.
I am sure he has explained the Percolator is only on some parts of some songs. Not sure what other pedals used, just amp? Metal guitar, metal picks, putting mics a foot away directly at the cone- yes i used to use a brass pick a d got a kind of sound like that but slowly backed it off to extend the life of my strings!

s_mcsleazy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by s_mcsleazy » Wed Apr 07, 2021 11:15 am

jorri wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 10:52 am

I am sure he has explained the Percolator is only on some parts of some songs. Not sure what other pedals used, just amp? Metal guitar, metal picks, putting mics a foot away directly at the cone- yes i used to use a brass pick a d got a kind of sound like that but slowly backed it off to extend the life of my strings!
the only other pedal ive known him to use is a noise gate
offset guitars resident bass player.
'Are you trying to seduce me Mrs Robinson? Or do you just want me to solder a couple of resistors into your Muff?'

SadFuzz
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by SadFuzz » Fri Apr 23, 2021 2:44 pm

Steve's rig is very minimal, think he said in an old guitar mag he used an old mxr delay unit live occassionaly, and you can deffo hear a harmonizer or something on the hook to passing complexion. But most of his sound is just guitar, amp and the weird picks.
icerinkband.bandcamp.com

mackerelmint
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mackerelmint » Mon May 10, 2021 11:53 pm

I've got a question for you guys, and though it's not really pedal related, it seems like this is as good a thread to pose this question in as any:

Anyone know about DIYing an analog drum brain?

I think I'd like to put one together, with a few voices. Bass, snare, a tom or two and a basic hi hat kind of thing. I've found the 808 kick drum circuit, so that'd be neat, it's simple enough on its own. I've found a lot of arduino-based stuff, and digital stuff, and "oh, here's a whole drum machine!" kind of stuff, but I'm not getting too far. Look mum no computer's got a nice bit about a crappy DIY drum machine from a 70s electronics magazine and so far that's the best info I've found, to be honest. I'm just looking for a few simple parameters per voice cheesy rhythm box from an old organ sound kind of deal, that I could trigger externally. Any pointing in the right direction is appreciated.
This is an excellent rectangle

Shadoweclipse13
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Shadoweclipse13 » Tue May 11, 2021 1:12 am

mackerelmint wrote:
Mon May 10, 2021 11:53 pm
I've got a question for you guys, and though it's not really pedal related, it seems like this is as good a thread to pose this question in as any:

I think I'd like to put one together, with a few voices. Bass, snare, a tom or two and a basic hi hat kind of thing. I've found the 808 kick drum circuit, so that'd be neat, it's simple enough on its own. I've found a lot of arduino-based stuff, and digital stuff, and "oh, here's a whole drum machine!" kind of stuff, but I'm not getting too far. Look mum no computer's got a nice bit about a crappy DIY drum machine from a 70s electronics magazine and so far that's the best info I've found, to be honest. I'm just looking for a few simple parameters per voice cheesy rhythm box from an old organ sound kind of deal, that I could trigger externally. Any pointing in the right direction is appreciated.
I have a feeling that it's not the direction you'd want to go (possibly expensive and might still need a drum pad controller), but have you ever looked into Eurorack modular synths? There are makers who make drum modules, and I've always thought it would be really cool to get exactly the kick drum module, snare module, etc., to really fine tune the exact sound you want.
Pickup Switching Mad Scientist
http://www.offsetguitars.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=104282&p=1438384#p1438384

mackerelmint
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mackerelmint » Tue May 11, 2021 4:18 pm

Shadoweclipse13 wrote:
Tue May 11, 2021 1:12 am
mackerelmint wrote:

I have a feeling that it's not the direction you'd want to go (possibly expensive and might still need a drum pad controller), but have you ever looked into Eurorack modular synths? There are makers who make drum modules, and I've always thought it would be really cool to get exactly the kick drum module, snare module, etc., to really fine tune the exact sound you want.
Well, it would still need something to drive the inputs, which isn't a problem. Eurorack is a whole thing, and I'm not super worried about tweaking each voice, I'm more in it for the sake of learning to make trashy sounding circuits and stuffing them into a crappy box and making it do something garbagy and weird. There's this really nice analog drum thing that Vermona makes, as well as various others made throughout the years, but I'm after low budget low fi low brow shit machine drums. :freako:

Shadoweclipse13
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Shadoweclipse13 » Thu May 13, 2021 9:22 am

mackerelmint wrote:
Tue May 11, 2021 4:18 pm
Shadoweclipse13 wrote:
mackerelmint wrote:

Well, it would still need something to drive the inputs, which isn't a problem. Eurorack is a whole thing, and I'm not super worried about tweaking each voice, I'm more in it for the sake of learning to make trashy sounding circuits and stuffing them into a crappy box and making it do something garbagy and weird. There's this really nice analog drum thing that Vermona makes, as well as various others made throughout the years, but I'm after low budget low fi low brow shit machine drums. :freako:
I dig that. Like an Atari-punk console but as a drum machine?
http://www.offsetguitars.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=104282&p=1438384#p1438384

mackerelmint
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mackerelmint » Thu May 13, 2021 9:29 pm

Shadoweclipse13 wrote:
Thu May 13, 2021 9:22 am
mackerelmint wrote:
Shadoweclipse13 wrote:

Yeah, sorta. Craptastic sounds triggered by external sources, but lo fi crunch goblin/ 70s organ rhythm section kind of sounds. I love the rhythm boxes in old organs, my grandparents had a hammond transistor organ with the built in rhythms and to this day it's one of the grooviest, smoothest flowing drum machines I've ever heard. That thing and the roland TR 606.

Shadoweclipse13
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Shadoweclipse13 » Mon May 17, 2021 5:30 am

mackerelmint wrote:
Thu May 13, 2021 9:29 pm
Shadoweclipse13 wrote:
mackerelmint wrote:

Yeah, sorta. Craptastic sounds triggered by external sources, but lo fi crunch goblin/ 70s organ rhythm section kind of sounds. I love the rhythm boxes in old organs, my grandparents had a hammond transistor organ with the built in rhythms and to this day it's one of the grooviest, smoothest flowing drum machines I've ever heard. That thing and the roland TR 606.
That is a fantastic description. Whenever you figure out what you want/to build, please post some audio of the machine!!

mackerelmint
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mackerelmint » Wed May 19, 2021 12:13 am

Shadoweclipse13 wrote:
Mon May 17, 2021 5:30 am
mackerelmint wrote:
Thu May 13, 2021 9:29 pm
Shadoweclipse13 wrote:

That is a fantastic description. Whenever you figure out what you want/to build, please post some audio of the machine!!
OK!

Meanwhile, I built most of an EQD arrows pedal today. Thought I had a capacitor I don't have, but I will soon enough. I was given the board as a freebie, and it turned out to be a pedal I think will be useful. I think I've mentioned the company here on the board before, but I will again, just because I've been so impressed. Hammond tone works, selling on reverb. Good PCBs at good prices, with top notch build instructions. Shane's a real nice guy, just wants to be a resource. He's in it for all the right reasons and deserves some love.

i love sharin foo
Mods
Mods

Post by i love sharin foo » Fri Jun 11, 2021 5:42 pm

These are the most recent things that I've built. It's a modified Dan Armstrong Green Ringer with buffered wet/ dry mix, more gain, more volume, and a gnarlier octave. I'm really pleased with the turnout.

The whispers cut like hard rain, Like sugar in a hurricane

MarkN
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by MarkN » Sat Jul 03, 2021 6:58 pm

mackerelmint wrote:
I'm more in it for the sake of learning to make trashy sounding circuits and stuffing them into a crappy box and making it do something garbagy and weird. There's this really nice analog drum thing that Vermona makes, as well as various others made throughout the years, but I'm after low budget low fi low brow shit machine drums. :freako:
Try looking up Lunetta synths. They use 4000 series chips and are weird/trashy/cool. I did a quick google and it looks like stuff came up for Lunetta drum sounds. Good luck. Please post if you build something.

s_mcsleazy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by s_mcsleazy » Thu Jul 22, 2021 2:46 pm

yo, got a quick question. switches aren't my specialty so i figured i'd ask here.

i use 2 amps. my twin and my bassman, i'm currently using an A/B/Y box but i dislike it because i always forget which amp i leave on before i engage the Y and i'd rather just have a 2 footswitch box where each footswitch sends/cuts the signal to each amp. how would one wire that up? i feel it might be pretty simple but still.
offset guitars resident bass player.
'Are you trying to seduce me Mrs Robinson? Or do you just want me to solder a couple of resistors into your Muff?'

mackerelmint
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mackerelmint » Thu Jul 22, 2021 7:05 pm

MarkN wrote:
Sat Jul 03, 2021 6:58 pm
mackerelmint wrote:
I'm more in it for the sake of learning to make trashy sounding circuits and stuffing them into a crappy box and making it do something garbagy and weird. There's this really nice analog drum thing that Vermona makes, as well as various others made throughout the years, but I'm after low budget low fi low brow shit machine drums. :freako:
Try looking up Lunetta synths. They use 4000 series chips and are weird/trashy/cool. I did a quick google and it looks like stuff came up for Lunetta drum sounds. Good luck. Please post if you build something.
Good tip, thanks!

mackerelmint
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mackerelmint » Thu Jul 22, 2021 7:09 pm

s_mcsleazy wrote:
Thu Jul 22, 2021 2:46 pm
yo, got a quick question. switches aren't my specialty so i figured i'd ask here.

i use 2 amps. my twin and my bassman, i'm currently using an A/B/Y box but i dislike it because i always forget which amp i leave on before i engage the Y and i'd rather just have a 2 footswitch box where each footswitch sends/cuts the signal to each amp. how would one wire that up? i feel it might be pretty simple but still.
Well, you'd have your input, and from there you'd have two lines coming from it. One to each switch. Each switch goes to an output. SPST stomp switches would work, I think. Just two switches and three jacks, leads and grounds. I think.