del
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: The D.I.Y. thread.

Post by del » Sun Dec 17, 2023 6:35 am

hulakatt wrote:
Sun Dec 17, 2023 6:12 am
Pics?

All I can think of off the top of my head is that the board was soldered into place with all the pots and such mounted to the enclosure already so you may have to unsolder some parts to get the board out.

I have an older Micro AMp that's been modded by AnalogMan to have a more standard power jack (only mods) and it is a much better boost than it gets credit for. I overlooked them for years, chasing after boutique boosts until this one fell into my lap.
Thanks for the quick reply!

I’ll get a pic up soon, but there’s not much to see, really. With all the nuts removed, the circuit board is free floating as I’d expect: it starts to pop right out, but then gets stuck because the power jack (just the little silver edge of the barrel) is ever-so-lightly extending into the wall of the enclosure (and it’s a thick, DOD/MXR style enclosure). I’d think that I could tilt the board a bit and it would slide right out, but the switch and pot shafts are still protruding through the enclosure so tilting isn’t possible.

Hmm…

And I agree: the Micro Amp is a fantastic clean boost. It’s a powerhouse of simplicity - and using one to super-boost into a fuzz can be awesome (that’s the scheme of the fantastic MAE Black Math: a micro amp boosting a big muff, housed in the same enclosure with a single footswitch).
The Kinks - The Fall – The Bad Seeds - Spacemen 3 - The Gories - Royal Trux
"The idea is to put a pick in one hand and a guitar in the other and with a tiny movement rule the world." - David Fair

del
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by del » Sat Dec 23, 2023 9:55 am

FWIW a little deeper exploration online has revealed other similar discussions. Solution: when this happens, the power jack needs to be desoldered in order to remove the circuit board. Everything is mounted to the board, so when opening the enclosure, one sees the "back" of the circuit board - just the traces, nibs, and solder. I guess I'll go at that with ye olde iron.

Ugh. What an unnecessary chore just to change a pot.
The Kinks - The Fall – The Bad Seeds - Spacemen 3 - The Gories - Royal Trux
"The idea is to put a pick in one hand and a guitar in the other and with a tiny movement rule the world." - David Fair

GotA
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by GotA » Thu Feb 29, 2024 5:07 am

Here's one I just wrapped up. It's a Boss TR-2 with soft switch relay and momentary bypass. My buddy programmed the micro controller for me. This one is based on the first version using the out of production VCA IC. Added the volume trimmer fix as well. I've tried and built so many trees and keep coming back to this one. It just works for me.

sal paradise
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by sal paradise » Sat Mar 02, 2024 1:10 am

GotA wrote:
Thu Feb 29, 2024 5:07 am
Here's one I just wrapped up. It's a Boss TR-2 with soft switch relay and momentary bypass. My buddy programmed the micro controller for me. This one is based on the first version using the out of production VCA IC. Added the volume trimmer fix as well. I've tried and built so many trees and keep coming back to this one. It just works for me.
I approve of many things here :-*
- lovely looking internals
- TR-2 (with volume fix)
- Gambit
I have nothing to offer anybody, except my own confusion?

GotA
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by GotA » Sat Mar 02, 2024 1:49 pm

sal paradise wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2024 1:10 am
GotA wrote:
Thu Feb 29, 2024 5:07 am
I approve of many things here :-*
- lovely looking internals
- TR-2 (with volume fix)
- Gambit
Thank you ❤️, I take a lot of pride in my builds.

GotA
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by GotA » Sat Mar 09, 2024 3:41 pm

Here's my take on the Boss FZ-2 waza. Added an octave life switch for just Fuzz only. This thing rips. Relay bypass as well.

GotA
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by GotA » Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:09 am

My latest build is another Boss DM-3 analog delay. This one has double the delay time of the original though. By far my favorite analog delay.