Re: The D.I.Y. thread.

Everyone needs a stompbox.
i love sharin foo
Mods
Mods

The D.I.Y. thread.

Post by i love sharin foo » Tue Sep 30, 2008 10:55 am

It seems like there are a lot of folks around here who like building, so I thought it would be nice to collect some info and pics all in one place. Whether a rehouse, clone, mod, or ground up original, as long as you made it yourself, post it here! I'll start with some of my builds.

Zvex Woolly Mammoth:

Zvex Machine:

Lovetone Big Cheese:
The board came from GGG. I had an original before and this definitely sounds just as good.

Here's a few different ones...  A feedback, true bypass looper, Roland BeeBaa (GGG board), then there is the gigantic monstrosity at the top right. I think I made a thread here on it at the time. It is an EHX Linear Power Booster, fed into an Armstrong Green Ringer, then a GGG Big Muff circuit. It's basically a killer octave fuzz, but with some cool options. It sounds great, but the enclosure is on the large size.

Here's a gut shot of it. It could definitely fit into a smaller enclosure if you wanted.

Here's the BeeBaa internals... quite a few wires crammed in there.

This photo turned out to be pretty bad, but here's a 4ms Fuzz Jade that I built about 7 years ago.

justin
The whispers cut like hard rain, Like sugar in a hurricane

DWBH
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by DWBH » Tue Sep 30, 2008 11:31 am

I've only made a Brown Sound in a Box II
Sounds great.

I have a Wah Probe-ish workalike and a FKR waiting to be finished for several months, though.

Marquischacha
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Marquischacha » Tue Sep 30, 2008 12:04 pm

DWBH wrote: I've only made a Brown Sound in a Box II
Sounds great.

I have a Wah Probe-ish workalike and a FKR waiting to be finished for several months, though.
Capable of hitting the brown note?

Those pedals look amazing.
Drop out of life with bong in hand, follow the smoke to the riff-filled land.

Superfuzz
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Superfuzz » Tue Sep 30, 2008 12:07 pm

I love this thread I'll post mine when I'll go to the other PC..I got a lot a stuff coming in the near future BTW.. :ph34r:
Architecture students are like virgins with an itch they cannot scratch,  never build a building 'till are fifty, what kind of life is that?

JJ Gabor
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JJ Gabor » Tue Sep 30, 2008 12:31 pm

Excellent thread.  Not got a shot of all of mine at the moment as i am in the process of moving flat.

Here is my super hard on clone.  Beside it (with guts on the table) is a PWM fuzz into a three tranny fuzz circuit (sound wild)

I recently finished a Rams head clone with momentary FB loop switch - sound cool, will post pics later.  I am still building on strip board and it is proving to be a bit of a hassle.  I am gonna get some etching stuff soon. 

Kudos on the Bee Baa Justin.  That is the reason i started building, but i soon realised there was no way to build it on stripboard - which trannies did you use? 2N5088? Sound OK?   Did you use Analoguru's wooly mammoth circuit?

ok enough questions...

Also just bought a lot of 30 vintage radio knobs of various sizes and kinds off the bay - I have found that it is a cheap and easy way of giving your pedals a 'look'.  They say cool stuff on them like 'Frequency spectrum'  and 'input impedance'.  I will try to get some shots soon to show you what i mean.

thanks

JJ

Last edited by JJ Gabor on Tue Sep 30, 2008 12:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DWBH
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by DWBH » Tue Sep 30, 2008 12:45 pm

I just wish I had more money to build things. :'(

mynameisjonas
Admin
Admin

Post by mynameisjonas » Tue Sep 30, 2008 12:49 pm

here's my main pedal, a BYOC 250+ (in the pic it's dod250 specs, but i changed it more towards distortion+ specs later):

way huge red llama clone (finished in charcoal frost :D):

rangemaster clone:

and this was an earlier distortion+ clone that i totally screwed up:

here's poor ol' big murph. i don't have any gut shots of it, but let me tell you,  it's a war zone in there. i've changed pretty much everything except the transistors, and it's taken its toll on the PCB (no, i didn't use sockets). it used to be housed in this BB enclosure, but it's back in the original NYC box now.

i also have two fuzz face projects in the works, one germanium and one silicon. and then the tube screamer...

i love sharin foo
Mods
Mods

Post by i love sharin foo » Tue Sep 30, 2008 5:13 pm

JJ Gabor wrote: Kudos on the Bee Baa Justin.  That is the reason i started building, but i soon realised there was no way to build it on stripboard - which trannies did you use? 2N5088? Sound OK?   Did you use Analoguru's wooly mammoth circuit?

Thanks!

I really love that BeeBaa! I am pretty sure that I did use the 5088s. They weren't anything special or expensive. I haven't ever tried an original, but this one seems to sound like the clips I have heard of real ones. I made the boos function foot switchable, which makes it a great booster for when you need it.

I think I used igloos layout for the Mammoth... it was the layout that was a little shorter and narrower. It fired up first try and so did the Machine, so both layouts were spot on. I still have a real Mammoth to compare to and this clone nails it and only cost about $30 to make... haha.

justin

i love sharin foo
Mods
Mods

Post by i love sharin foo » Tue Sep 30, 2008 6:15 pm

Here are a few pix of when I modded my Rat II with the 'Ruetz mod'.

Also added a metal can LM308:
here it is in the socket

Here is the LM308 and the original chip (it was a later model that didn't come with a 308)

justin

Jay
Admin
Admin

Post by Jay » Tue Sep 30, 2008 8:58 pm

I'm working on countless things.  I finished up two killer killer rangemaster clones today that use a bumble bee cap at the input.  I scored a couple .0068s in a box of random caps at the surplus shop and that's a better value then the stock .0047 in an RM IMO.  Especially for a JM.  Also changed out a couple other parts for a lot more gain.  No pics since I literally just sat down from wrapping that up a few minutes ago.  Also working on a new overdrive based on a much less common tube screamer variant but with tons of tweaks to sound better with offsets.  :)  I've got a ADA Flanger project I started that's not working right now and I started up a PCB layout for a Repeat Percussion clone recently. As for stuff I've actually completed, there are a few pics of things...

A wah I built. I did the layout and etched the board myself. It's a hacked up early Vox circuit with a few tricks to liven it up and tame the harshness a touch. It's a really big sounding wah.

A BYOC BMP...  one of my favorite box jobs.

808 tube screamer with tons of tweaks.  A cool sounding OD pedal.

yaksox
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by yaksox » Tue Sep 30, 2008 10:13 pm

DWBH wrote: I just wish I had more money to build things. :'(
I wish I had more *time* to try and build things.

JazzBlaster
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JazzBlaster » Tue Sep 30, 2008 11:22 pm

Big cheese kit?  :wtf: looks like a tough one to pull of if you've never built a pedal b4
It's not about the gear! It's about you, your hands, your imagination, your feelings.

Superfuzz
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Superfuzz » Wed Oct 01, 2008 1:34 am

this was my first one.. a Rangemaster clone made for a guy out there (pretty crazy I started to build pedals for others..)
then I started modding my Ts-9 and my BigMuff
(fat mod + correct buffer resistors)
(a lot of mods..)
My Crybaby shell refurbished with a Maestro Boomerang board (etched by me)
Then I worked on so many projects (not clones) that never turned out so well, but they have been an excellent way to learn a lot of things, now I can use programs like Eagle for making my own pcb..I got my style and soon I'll put out 2-3 interesting pedals, really!
Here are some of this forgotten puppies..
Architecture students are like virgins with an itch they cannot scratch,  never build a building 'till are fifty, what kind of life is that?

JJ Gabor
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JJ Gabor » Wed Oct 01, 2008 8:09 am

i love sharin foo wrote:
JJ Gabor wrote: Kudos on the Bee Baa Justin.  That is the reason i started building, but i soon realised there was no way to build it on stripboard - which trannies did you use? 2N5088? Sound OK?  Did you use Analoguru's wooly mammoth circuit?

Thanks!

I really love that BeeBaa! I am pretty sure that I did use the 5088s. They weren't anything special or expensive. I haven't ever tried an original, but this one seems to sound like the clips I have heard of real ones. I made the boos function foot switchable, which makes it a great booster for when you need it.

I think I used igloos layout for the Mammoth... it was the layout that was a little shorter and narrower. It fired up first try and so did the Machine, so both layouts were spot on. I still have a real Mammoth to compare to and this clone nails it and only cost about $30 to make... haha.

justin
Sweet

Thanks

TweedBassman
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by TweedBassman » Wed Oct 01, 2008 9:06 am

lots of great stuff in here, good job folks.  :-*