Re: The D.I.Y. thread.

Everyone needs a stompbox.
ThePearDream
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by ThePearDream » Fri Jul 03, 2020 12:13 pm

I just finished up two pedals last night using Aion boards.

First is a Cornish G2 clone with the Aion recommended cap mods to make it less bassy. I've only had a chance to play it for a few minutes so far, but I'm really pleased with it. I can foresee this getting a lot of use.

Second is a BJFE Honey Bee OD clone. Featuring Cosmo Kramer a.k.a. Dr. Martin Van Nostrand. After only a few minutes, I understand the hype about this circuit. This is a strong contender for my go-to OD going forward. It's really responsive and dynamic.

The rest of the Seinfeld crew are in progress or planning stages now. No spoilers, but I'm pretty excited about George Costanza.
Doug
@dpcannafax

s_mcsleazy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by s_mcsleazy » Thu Jul 30, 2020 10:06 am

so i built a distortion + clone. i forgot how good they are but i've noticed it's quieter than unity gain and kinda thin sounding but works perfectly. anyone got any ideas how to change this?
offset guitars resident bass player.
'Are you trying to seduce me Mrs Robinson? Or do you just want me to solder a couple of resistors into your Muff?'

andy_tchp
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by andy_tchp » Thu Jul 30, 2020 4:09 pm

s_mcsleazy wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 10:06 am
so i built a distortion + clone. i forgot how good they are but i've noticed it's quieter than unity gain and kinda thin sounding but works perfectly.
Sounds like a 100% perfect reproduction of the late '70s block logo one I had :D
"I don't know why we asked him to join the band 'cause the rest of us don't like country music all that much; we just like Graham Lee."
David McComb, 1987.

s_mcsleazy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by s_mcsleazy » Thu Jul 30, 2020 4:46 pm

andy_tchp wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 4:09 pm
s_mcsleazy wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 10:06 am
so i built a distortion + clone. i forgot how good they are but i've noticed it's quieter than unity gain and kinda thin sounding but works perfectly.
Sounds like a 100% perfect reproduction of the late '70s block logo one I had :D
pretty much the same as every vintage one i've tried too.
'Are you trying to seduce me Mrs Robinson? Or do you just want me to solder a couple of resistors into your Muff?'

storyboardist
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by storyboardist » Fri Sep 11, 2020 5:59 am

Here's my take on the 1981 Inventions DRV. The board is the same as the layout on my blog, enclosure is jank 1590B knockoff with waterslide decals over DupliColor Hampsted metallic green. Wired for buffered bypass like the original. I know there's differing opinions on this circuit, but I jammed with it for a good bit after boxing it up. To me it really shines with the gain turned down and volume up. Like a gnarlier Klon, it boosts your signal and adds a nice bit of snarl that responded well to pick attack. It also sounds good with or without the charge pump. Without it loses some headroom, but is still a great sounding dirt box at 9v, just breaks up earlier. And with 18v it just give give you more headroom and a little more spankiness? YMMV, but I dig it.

effectslayouts.com

Zork
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Zork » Tue Feb 09, 2021 12:39 pm

I just ordered a ton of stuff and will start a Tone Bender MKIII build mostly from NOS parts but with a few modern tweaks. I really, really want to put it in this enclosure, but due to Brexit and Covid it's a major pain in the ass to get things shipped from UK to Germany: https://www.gapco.co.uk/vintage-pedal-enclosure.html
Wish me luck!

marqueemoon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by marqueemoon » Tue Feb 09, 2021 1:35 pm

storyboardist wrote:
Fri Sep 11, 2020 5:59 am
Here's my take on the 1981 Inventions DRV. The board is the same as the layout on my blog, enclosure is jank 1590B knockoff with waterslide decals over DupliColor Hampsted metallic green. Wired for buffered bypass like the original. I know there's differing opinions on this circuit, but I jammed with it for a good bit after boxing it up. To me it really shines with the gain turned down and volume up. Like a gnarlier Klon, it boosts your signal and adds a nice bit of snarl that responded well to pick attack. It also sounds good with or without the charge pump. Without it loses some headroom, but is still a great sounding dirt box at 9v, just breaks up earlier. And with 18v it just give give you more headroom and a little more spankiness? YMMV, but I dig it.

Nice! Did you end up pretty close to the standard configuration then?

s_mcsleazy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by s_mcsleazy » Tue Feb 09, 2021 4:30 pm

forgot i ordered a bunch of pedal PCB's. finally building a harmonic percolator for myself (i've built a few for friend's but never kept one for myself. that changes now)

fuzzjunkie
Expat
Expat

Post by fuzzjunkie » Thu Feb 11, 2021 8:55 am

s_mcsleazy wrote:
Tue Feb 09, 2021 4:30 pm
forgot i ordered a bunch of pedal PCB's. finally building a harmonic percolator for myself (i've built a few for friend's but never kept one for myself. that changes now)
Really surprised this thread hasn’t had more posts lately! I don’t have the time or money, but there are 6-7 pedals I would have built sitting at home by myself if I did.

s_mcsleazy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by s_mcsleazy » Thu Feb 11, 2021 4:06 pm

fuzzjunkie wrote:
Thu Feb 11, 2021 8:55 am
s_mcsleazy wrote:
Really surprised this thread hasn’t had more posts lately! I don’t have the time or money, but there are 6-7 pedals I would have built sitting at home by myself if I did.
i've built a good 25 pedals in a year. but it's not as fun as it started out.

storyboardist
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by storyboardist » Fri Feb 19, 2021 10:21 am

marqueemoon wrote:
Tue Feb 09, 2021 1:35 pm
Nice! Did you end up pretty close to the standard configuration then?
Yeah as best as I can tell, it sounds like the demos. The only difference between mine and the original is the lack of soft touch switching in mine.
effectslayouts.com

fuzzjunkie
Expat
Expat

Post by fuzzjunkie » Mon Mar 29, 2021 9:34 am

s_mcsleazy wrote:
Have you finished the Harmonic Percolator, Sean?

I have wondered about that pedal for a while, one of the few I haven’t at least tried. I only know it by reputation and video demos.

s_mcsleazy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by s_mcsleazy » Mon Mar 29, 2021 11:01 am

fuzzjunkie wrote:
Mon Mar 29, 2021 9:34 am
s_mcsleazy wrote:

I have wondered about that pedal for a while, one of the few I haven’t at least tried. I only know it by reputation and video demos.
i've built a few in the past and loved them. what i've found about them is their kinda like the mosrite fuzzrite in they need a recovery stage or you'll have to really crank the volume.

the ones in the past i've built have been really fun but imho, they're not as big a part to the shellac/big black guitar sound as people think. like it's kinda the last 15% of that sound but you wanna get closest without one, run a jmp/bassman with a single coil guitar and copper guitar picks. it will get you mostly there.

fuzzjunkie
Expat
Expat

Post by fuzzjunkie » Mon Mar 29, 2021 5:48 pm

s_mcsleazy wrote:
Mon Mar 29, 2021 11:01 am
fuzzjunkie wrote:
Mon Mar 29, 2021 9:34 am
s_mcsleazy wrote:

i've built a few in the past and loved them. what i've found about them is their kinda like the mosrite fuzzrite in they need a recovery stage or you'll have to really crank the volume.

the ones in the past i've built have been really fun but imho, they're not as big a part to the shellac/big black guitar sound as people think. like it's kinda the last 15% of that sound but you wanna get closest without one, run a jmp/bassman with a single coil guitar and copper guitar picks. it will get you mostly there.
Thanks for the review. Yeah, single coils and Bassman are my jam. No copper picks though I did try a six pence for a bit.

mackerelmint
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mackerelmint » Sat Apr 03, 2021 6:13 pm

I just ordered a couple of boards from Hammond toneworks. Can't wait to build them out. They ran out of free guitar picks to throw in, so they sent me a whole extra PCB for an EQD Arrows clone. Gotta say, I've paid much more for lesser PCBs. An Acupulco gold and a DOD 250 are what I bought clone boards for... so, anyone use an Arrows? Looks like a neat pedal.
This is an excellent rectangle