Re: The D.I.Y. thread.

Everyone needs a stompbox.
User avatar
chrispop
PAT PEND
PAT PEND
Posts: 1
Joined: Sun Nov 20, 2016 8:56 am

Re: The D.I.Y. thread.

Post by chrispop » Fri Jun 28, 2019 11:11 am

hi all,
first post after a long time lurking in the shadows...
here's a few pedals i've built over the last few weeks.
top row: 2x basic audio zippy fuzz clones (one for a friend), ghost effects lunar incarnation clone in old transistor radio, modded coloursound one knob in vintage intercom (original switch changes input caps)
bottom row: silicone tonebender, bsaic audio scarab deluxe clone, 2 different, heavily modded bosstone based thingies.
all of them on stripboard and finally i'm at a stage buildquality wise that i'm ok to show them...

Image

User avatar
hexes
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 105
Joined: Tue May 07, 2019 3:59 pm

Re: The D.I.Y. thread.

Post by hexes » Fri Jul 05, 2019 9:11 pm

thank you! i have all the parts on hand to build one for my enzo. assumed it was more involved.
krib wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2019 7:40 pm

125€ in europe, for a fancy box with 3 resitors, 4 switches and stereo jack :D

By Gila_crisis @ freestompboxes
Image

User avatar
s_mcsleazy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 15818
Joined: Thu Jul 28, 2011 7:30 am
Location: glasgow

Re: The D.I.Y. thread.

Post by s_mcsleazy » Sun Sep 29, 2019 9:28 pm

well i've mentioned this on and off but the first few MuLove prototypes are done. it's nothing special. it's basically a mid boost with lot's of gain on tap if you need it. but it can also go super clean too.
Image
offset guitars resident bass player.
'Are you trying to seduce me Mrs Robinson? Or do you just want me to solder a couple of resistors into your Muff?'

User avatar
storyboardist
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 296
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2011 9:50 am
Location: Woodstock, GA
Contact:

Re: The D.I.Y. thread.

Post by storyboardist » Thu Oct 31, 2019 6:31 am

I've been working on this thing ages. Finally worked all the bugs out and it's sounding awesome. Pedalization of the Sunn Beta Bass preamp, the SunnBeam!

Image

Image
effectslayouts.com

User avatar
thirtydirtybirds
PAT PEND
PAT PEND
Posts: 14
Joined: Tue Jul 05, 2011 2:35 pm

Re: The D.I.Y. thread.

Post by thirtydirtybirds » Thu Dec 05, 2019 7:31 am

I am VERY curious about that betabeam.

User avatar
Georg Figél
PAT PEND
PAT PEND
Posts: 11
Joined: Tue Jun 18, 2019 1:34 pm

Re: The D.I.Y. thread.

Post by Georg Figél » Wed Jan 15, 2020 4:50 pm

did a subtle refinish to my Volume Pedal:
Image

I've also put together this video of the building process:
https://youtu.be/1rCuJzwqXYQ
My fancy guitar videos on YT:
https://www.youtube.com/c/GeorgFigél
Leave a Like on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/georgFigel

User avatar
felixvaughn
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 155
Joined: Mon May 20, 2013 8:58 am
Location: Area 51

Re: The D.I.Y. thread.

Post by felixvaughn » Thu Feb 06, 2020 6:23 pm

Georg Figél wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 4:50 pm
did a subtle refinish to my Volume Pedal:
Image

I've also put together this video of the building process:
https://youtu.be/1rCuJzwqXYQ
very nice! how did you do the glitter? wet or dry?

User avatar
storyboardist
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 296
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2011 9:50 am
Location: Woodstock, GA
Contact:

Re: The D.I.Y. thread.

Post by storyboardist » Fri Feb 07, 2020 8:16 am

Custom parametric mids EQ (Catalinbread VarioBoost clone) with soft touch switching in a one-off wooden/bent steel enclosure. Made it for a buddy and his band's name/logo is on the badge. The badge is 3D printed in resin and painted.

An in process shot:
Image

Guts:
Image

Finished:
Image

Image

I'm going to redo the name badge as the screw holes were just a bit off and made the lower edge bend upwards, not to mention gashing the lower line of text with a screwdriver. But he's excited to use and they're going into the studio in a few weeks, so hopefully it'll be a useful tool in that process. Here's their Spotify link if anyone fancies a listen: https://open.spotify.com/artist/6vHP2UiHTuZKRBVhtx2nFe
effectslayouts.com

User avatar
Georg Figél
PAT PEND
PAT PEND
Posts: 11
Joined: Tue Jun 18, 2019 1:34 pm

Re: The D.I.Y. thread.

Post by Georg Figél » Sat Feb 08, 2020 3:54 am

felixvaughn wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 6:23 pm
Georg Figél wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 4:50 pm
did a subtle refinish to my Volume Pedal:
Image

I've also put together this video of the building process:
https://youtu.be/1rCuJzwqXYQ
very nice! how did you do the glitter? wet or dry?
I did it dry
and then sprayed a mist coat of clear over it to avoid blowing the glitter away.
And then I did proper clear coats over it
My fancy guitar videos on YT:
https://www.youtube.com/c/GeorgFigél
Leave a Like on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/georgFigel

User avatar
Shadoweclipse13
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 9412
Joined: Fri Feb 07, 2014 9:22 pm
Location: Stuck in the dimension of imagination

Re: The D.I.Y. thread.

Post by Shadoweclipse13 » Sat Feb 08, 2020 9:15 pm

storyboardist wrote:
Fri Feb 07, 2020 8:16 am
Custom parametric mids EQ (Catalinbread VarioBoost clone) with soft touch switching in a one-off wooden/bent steel enclosure. Made it for a buddy and his band's name/logo is on the badge. The badge is 3D printed in resin and painted.

An in process shot:
Image

Guts:
Image

Finished:
Image

Image

I'm going to redo the name badge as the screw holes were just a bit off and made the lower edge bend upwards, not to mention gashing the lower line of text with a screwdriver. But he's excited to use and they're going into the studio in a few weeks, so hopefully it'll be a useful tool in that process. Here's their Spotify link if anyone fancies a listen: https://open.spotify.com/artist/6vHP2UiHTuZKRBVhtx2nFe
Dude! With the wood sides, that is just incredible!!!
Pickup Switching Mad Scientist
http://www.offsetguitars.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=104282&p=1438384#p1438384

User avatar
greens
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 70
Joined: Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:59 am

Re: The D.I.Y. thread.

Post by greens » Fri Feb 21, 2020 12:33 pm

Shadoweclipse13 wrote:
Sat Feb 08, 2020 9:15 pm
storyboardist wrote:
Fri Feb 07, 2020 8:16 am
Custom parametric mids EQ (Catalinbread VarioBoost clone) with soft touch switching in a one-off wooden/bent steel enclosure. Made it for a buddy and his band's name/logo is on the badge. The badge is 3D printed in resin and painted.

An in process shot:
Image

Guts:
Image

Finished:
Image

Image

I'm going to redo the name badge as the screw holes were just a bit off and made the lower edge bend upwards, not to mention gashing the lower line of text with a screwdriver. But he's excited to use and they're going into the studio in a few weeks, so hopefully it'll be a useful tool in that process. Here's their Spotify link if anyone fancies a listen: https://open.spotify.com/artist/6vHP2UiHTuZKRBVhtx2nFe
Dude! With the wood sides, that is just incredible!!!
Yeah, that came out great!

User avatar
wingnutkj
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 794
Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2015 4:55 am
Location: Glasgow, Scotland

Re: The D.I.Y. thread.

Post by wingnutkj » Sat Mar 21, 2020 2:26 am

Given the Coronavirus situation (I'm working from home and staying out of people's way), I've had some time to complete another pedal kit:
Image

It's a Jed's Peds Katzenkonig Rat+Boost. The pattern on the case is from a swatch of fabric I have, which I photographed and messed with on my computer. The case was sprayed with Plasikote fast dry enamel, but I couldn't get my transfer technique to work over it, so I sanded the top back and did the transfer on bare metal, covering with a coat of Halfords spray lacquer.

Image
Image

I use the laser print transfer technique (this is as much for my own future reference as anyone else's):
  • The print is designed in Scribus (a freeware DTP app) - making sure to get the holes for the pots and switches lined up correctly.
  • It is mirrored and printed onto glossy paper using my cheapo laser printer (it is very important to remember to mirror it!).
  • I trim round the image so that there are "tabs" that I can fold down and tape to the side of the pedals, to hold it in place.
  • Use a hot iron to transfer the print, making sure to press down firmly and cover the whole surface.
  • Run under cold water to cool the case and thoroughly soak the paper.
  • Once the paper is saturated, I rub away the paper with my fingers, using gentle pressure.
  • This leaves just the toner stuck to the metal, and I give it a polish with 12000-gauge micromesh
  • At this point it looks great, but as it dries, it alarmingly turns a powdery-white colour.
  • To fix this, I spray with Halford's clear lacquer. I've found that gently warming the case before spraying helps get a really glossy coat.
Kenny

User avatar
somanytoys
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 3325
Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2017 1:59 pm
Location: Baton Rouge, LA

Re: The D.I.Y. thread.

Post by somanytoys » Sat Mar 21, 2020 8:54 am

Those are some damn nice diy pedals. If they sound half as good as they look (and I’m sure they do), they must be awesome.

I should be trying to finish my MOD tube reverb kit while all this is happening. It was just kind of an aggressive project for someone with very minimal skills at this sort of thing.

This is helping to feed that drive, thanks to everyone for positing the pics and helpful info.
-David

It's a boost booster, to boost your boost - it makes your tone much muchier.

User avatar
wingnutkj
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 794
Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2015 4:55 am
Location: Glasgow, Scotland

Re: The D.I.Y. thread.

Post by wingnutkj » Sat Mar 21, 2020 1:01 pm

Those are some damn nice diy pedals. If they sound half as good as they look (and I’m sure they do), they must be awesome.
Mine sounds a bit like this:
https://i.imgur.com/evizdNg.mp4

I'd a lot of fun messing around with the various options (input level, Rat gain, output gain, Rat filter and clip switch). I'm enjoying the complete change in tone between the two clipping options (LEDs and 1N914s).
Kenny

User avatar
s_mcsleazy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 15818
Joined: Thu Jul 28, 2011 7:30 am
Location: glasgow

Re: The D.I.Y. thread.

Post by s_mcsleazy » Tue May 12, 2020 12:31 am

quick question for those who design pedals. i'm wanting to add a low-pass/high pass filter to a fuzz pedal i'm working on, where would be a good place in the circuit to fit it in?
offset guitars resident bass player.
'Are you trying to seduce me Mrs Robinson? Or do you just want me to solder a couple of resistors into your Muff?'

Post Reply