Re: Setup of the day

Everyone needs a stompbox.
MrShake
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by MrShake » Fri Jun 23, 2023 5:09 am

I love your setup, Mr. Paradise - every element in that rig is rock-solid. Not all super-expensive (though that's a NICE set of stuff), no boxes covered in flashing lights with billions of options.

But every element, whether Strymon or Joyo, is a dedicated piece of gear that does what it does well, but isn't overkill with bells and whistles.

I bet they all sound aces together, you monster.

And glad to see the Joyo's working for you. I wish the headroom was just a little higher, but everyone touting them as a killer "above their weight class" fake-Fender was totally right.

sal paradise
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by sal paradise » Fri Jun 23, 2023 5:26 am

MrShake wrote:
Fri Jun 23, 2023 5:09 am
I love your setup, Mr. Paradise - every element in that rig is rock-solid. Not all super-expensive (though that's a NICE set of stuff), no boxes covered in flashing lights with billions of options.

But every element, whether Strymon or Joyo, is a dedicated piece of gear that does what it does well, but isn't overkill with bells and whistles.

I bet they all sound aces together, you monster.

And glad to see the Joyo's working for you. I wish the headroom was just a little higher, but everyone touting them as a killer "above their weight class" fake-Fender was totally right.
Cheers Mike! I feel the same about the American sound. I was expecting a pristine clean sounding pedal for some reason. It works, either way.

The board is perfect for me- it’s simple, and each bit is really good at what it does. Hugely influenced & guided by the folks on here.

I love how you mix legendary gear with $20 clones. You know how many new things you’ve inspired me to try. Probably got enough to do a 2nd board- but I won’t try and name it “budget” just in case I fall into the same hole as you :D
I have nothing to offer anybody, except my own confusion?

MrShake
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by MrShake » Fri Jun 23, 2023 11:42 am

Lol, smart man. Not setting limits will keep you from as much guilt or shame. But when you take a gamble and order a NUX DuoTime to swap in for an Atlantic, you'll still feel a little pang of something like those.

Trust me.

sal paradise
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by sal paradise » Fri Jun 23, 2023 12:12 pm

MrShake wrote:
Fri Jun 23, 2023 11:42 am
Lol, smart man. Not setting limits will keep you from as much guilt or shame. But when you take a gamble and order a NUX DuoTime to swap in for an Atlantic, you'll still feel a little pang of something like those.

Trust me.
:D :D :D

sal paradise
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by sal paradise » Wed Jun 28, 2023 4:56 am

Things are getting out of hand in south London. If I don’t have an album written & recorded in a few months, please send someone round to confiscate equipment

stevejamsecono
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by stevejamsecono » Thu Jun 29, 2023 6:59 am

sal paradise wrote:
Wed Jun 28, 2023 4:56 am
Things are getting out of hand in south London. If I don’t have an album written & recorded in a few months, please send someone round to confiscate equipment

This is a great little setup. How are you liking the Behringer 808? I'm finding myself wanting a 'real' drum machine to play with and I've been looking at a few different things.
And you find out life isn't like that
It's so hard to understand
Why the world is your oyster but your future's a clam

Resident Yamaha Fanboy

COYS

sal paradise
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by sal paradise » Thu Jun 29, 2023 9:44 am

stevejamsecono wrote:
Thu Jun 29, 2023 6:59 am
sal paradise wrote:
Wed Jun 28, 2023 4:56 am
This is a great little setup. How are you liking the Behringer 808? I'm finding myself wanting a 'real' drum machine to play with and I've been looking at a few different things.
It’s great & so much fun. 10 minute how-to video on YouTube & I had basics down. There’s a few more functions that I’ll have to learn to be able to do more than just loop 16-64 beats.

I read that One More Night by Phil Collins was done on an 808 with just a verse loop & a chorus loop. So should be able to write songs with it fairly easily, without 6 months of learning.

I’m excited to try and use it as an instrument, rather than just choosing vst loops that sound close to what I had in my head for song demos.

MrShake
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by MrShake » Thu Jun 29, 2023 9:54 am

stevejamsecono wrote:
Thu Jun 29, 2023 6:59 am
Lol, not to speak for anyone else, but I've got one too (Sal, you crafty dog), and it's GREAT. Intuitive (mostly), sounds great, makes a great clock for a couple other cheap synths*. And makes a great accompaniment at home for psych/shoegazey noodling. I slap some splashy FX500 hall reverb on it, dial down the BPM and gaze away.

Speaking of, I was doing just that this morning. New DuoTime delay showed up, booted my Atlantic for the time being, and got Verve-y over some "Selected Ambient Beats". Finally discovered that a Bazz Fuss works great as a wooly FrippPad, but still gives me enough bite and definition if I need something nastier. Pedals range from $20-$100, so nothing boutique in sight, really.

*During the pandemic, some people learned another language, some learned woodworking. I finally got around to getting some gear and learning how to make acid house on analog hardware. I wanted to interface with the machines/tools the way the originators did to see what would come out of me.

Living room improvs, just seeing where things went, here's the first three months when I could be bothered to boot up the recording software. Synths into an old Tascam 4-track, straight into the interface. Kinda like "baby's first acid house".

Dirty Micc - FCK DAW

And here's 6 months later, a little more structured from the outset, but still live jams. I'd rate it higher.

Dirty Micc - SAW/SQUARE

I really should get back to doing that stuff again.

Also, Sal? Look up how to program "Sexual Healing" into it. It's a trip to fire that up and be able to have it in the room to monkey around with and remix.

sal paradise
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by sal paradise » Thu Jun 29, 2023 10:16 am

MrShake wrote:
Thu Jun 29, 2023 9:54 am
Also, Sal? Look up how to program "Sexual Healing" into it. It's a trip to fire that up and be able to have it in the room to monkey around with and remix.
I can’t believe you’ve got an RD8 too :D

Done done & done! Merci

MrShake
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by MrShake » Fri Jun 30, 2023 6:22 am

Feels weird to post a guitar-free setup of the day here on OSG, but it's a self-contained music-making rig. After all that drum machine talk yesterday, I was in the mood to get back on the horse.

It's even got a Rat.

Behringer RD-8 drum machine
Behringer TD-3(03) bass synth (+ Rat)
Korg Volca Keys
Korg Monotron (occasionally)

->

Tascam 424mkIII (as mixer)
+ Yamaha FX500 reverb (in effects send)

->

Some cheap PA we got from Guitar Center for our wedding in 2010.

When I get the delayed/looped guitar going, I end up at what I think of as "Seefeel's Quique", but probably just sounds like irritating, looped diddles to the work crew out on the fire escape.

Screw 'em, this is art.

tequila_in_teacups
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by tequila_in_teacups » Mon Jul 03, 2023 6:38 pm

MrShake
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by MrShake » Thu Jul 06, 2023 2:28 am

I realize on the face of it, this is a crazy sentence, but everything about that rig LOOKS like it sounds great.

MrShake
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by MrShake » Thu Jul 06, 2023 9:45 am

"Oh, go ahead and put a Boss delay on there," I said.

"They're your favorite," I said, "and it's an AMBIENT kinda thing, it'd be perfect!"

WTF happened?

(NPD post coming soon for that PS-2, it's pretty cool.)

ryland
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by ryland » Thu Jul 06, 2023 2:31 pm

MrShake wrote:
Thu Jul 06, 2023 9:45 am

"Oh, go ahead and put a Boss delay on there," I said.

"They're your favorite," I said, "and it's an AMBIENT kinda thing, it'd be perfect!"

WTF happened?

(NPD post coming soon for that PS-2, it's pretty cool.)
Oooh! I got a PS-3 back in the 90's when they were new and I was young...I must have written a dozen songs based on the sounds it could make. I still have it, it's one of my favorite pedals of all time.

MrShake
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by MrShake » Fri Jul 07, 2023 6:09 am

ryland wrote:
Thu Jul 06, 2023 2:31 pm
Oooh! I got a PS-3 back in the 90's when they were new and I was young...I must have written a dozen songs based on the sounds it could make. I still have it, it's one of my favorite pedals of all time.
Fantastic! Lol, sounds like my early days with the DD-5! Haha, our band's current set-closer is a layered noise thing I came up with when I was 15. Still sounds good, damn it.

And frankly, the PS-3 would have made more sense for me. The "pitch shifted delays" (the infamous Mode 7, maybe?) would be PERFECT for me, but it would almost make too much sense. This one is weird and hobbled and a little glitchy, but using the Mode 4 detune mode for "'still chorus", kinda" and cranking up the feedback gives everything a cool, chromey trail that I can set to almost oscillate. I guess why people compare this to an EQD Rainbow Machine?

As I was telling the esteemed Sal Paradise elsewhere, I wouldn't call it "shoegaze in a box", because I hate that concept, and it wouldn't do that on its own, but adding it to anything turns anything into something shoegazey, with that late-'80s "early digital" vibe I love so much.

And the delays rule so far, too.