Everyone needs a stompbox.
OffsetUsername
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Setup of the day

Post by OffsetUsername » Sat May 23, 2020 1:20 pm

zhivago wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 10:59 pm
What music/bands do you mostly play? I wanna imagine Radiohead is one of them but that could be my bias for whenever I see a DMM.

marqueemoon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by marqueemoon » Sat May 23, 2020 7:10 pm

somanytoys wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 8:29 pm
Agreed - treble boosters need to sing, and the amp as well. Low volume doesn’t let it work well.

Have you tried separate pedalboards for stereo yet?
It could be more satisfying.

I thrive on the combination of different sounds from each amp.
I have a second board with a Boss tuner I could use to split for just messing around I guess. It’s pretty minimalist too, but a different reverb flavor might be fun.

For live (whenever that’s a thing again) I like to keep it simple though.

zhivago
Mods
Mods

Post by zhivago » Sat May 23, 2020 10:30 pm

OffsetUsername wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 1:20 pm
zhivago wrote:
What music/bands do you mostly play? I wanna imagine Radiohead is one of them but that could be my bias for whenever I see a DMM.
This board is only used for the original music I am writing at the moment, so there's no band that I can directly link to...not Radiohead though...hard to describe...maybe some Nick Cave, some Cocteau Twins, some Blonde Redhead...but not really...Huge sounding guitars, lots of minor chords, lots of open strings...the DMM creates space and it is mostly on all the time.

I listen to and play all sorts of music usually, from punk to old country, old folk and old blues to metal and of course alt/indie rock...for that stuff I either plug straight into the amp and roll the volumes on my guitars, or use my other simple pedalboard, which is RMC Wah > Analogman Sunlion > Klon Centaur > Tuner > Bearfoot PGC > Maxon AD900.
Resident Spartan.

OffsetUsername
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by OffsetUsername » Sun May 24, 2020 7:30 am

zhivago wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 10:30 pm
OffsetUsername wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 1:20 pm
zhivago wrote:
This board is only used for the original music I am writing at the moment, so there's no band that I can directly link to...not Radiohead though...hard to describe...maybe some Nick Cave, some Cocteau Twins, some Blonde Redhead...but not really...Huge sounding guitars, lots of minor chords, lots of open strings...the DMM creates space and it is mostly on all the time.

I listen to and play all sorts of music usually, from punk to old country, old folk and old blues to metal and of course alt/indie rock...for that stuff I either plug straight into the amp and roll the volumes on my guitars, or use my other simple pedalboard, which is RMC Wah > Analogman Sunlion > Klon Centaur > Tuner > Bearfoot PGC > Maxon AD900.
Ah fair enough, do you have any sound samples that you post? I'd be keen on hearing them.

somanytoys
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by somanytoys » Sun May 24, 2020 8:07 am

marqueemoon wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 7:10 pm
I have a second board with a Boss tuner I could use to split for just messing around I guess. It’s pretty minimalist too, but a different reverb flavor might be fun.

For live (whenever that’s a thing again) I like to keep it simple though.
Yeah, it could be fun, or it could not be for you, or just not worth the trouble for it. And there’s more that could go wrong, especially with playing out live.

I’m rearranging my amps, and late last night was playing a small 5-pedal VFE board into a Bugera, and just a Hotcake & Digiverb (on plate) into an AC4. It makes for interesting sounds having one amp pretty straightforward without modulation or delay, while the other is kind of soaked and rich.
-David

It's a boost booster, to boost your boost - it makes your tone much muchier.

zhivago
Mods
Mods

Post by zhivago » Sun May 24, 2020 9:00 am

OffsetUsername wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 7:30 am
Ah fair enough, do you have any sound samples that you post? I'd be keen on hearing them.
I can't post anything at the moment as we are working towards a finished record and everything is still work in progress.

I think we have at least 6 months before going in a studio to record...maybe (probably) a bit longer with all this Corona business. :(

Once it is complete I will definitely post some stuff. :)
Resident Spartan.

OffsetUsername
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by OffsetUsername » Sun May 24, 2020 9:08 am

zhivago wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 9:00 am
OffsetUsername wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 7:30 am
I can't post anything at the moment as we are working towards a finished record and everything is still work in progress.

I think we have at least 6 months before going in a studio to record...maybe (probably) a bit longer with all this Corona business. :(

Once it is complete I will definitely post some stuff. :)
Ah no worries then, do you have any pics of your whole set up somewhere on the forum? If not, what're your go to guitars you use for your group?

zhivago
Mods
Mods

Post by zhivago » Sun May 24, 2020 9:52 am

OffsetUsername wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 9:08 am
Ah no worries then, do you have any pics of your whole set up somewhere on the forum? If not, what're your go to guitars you use for your group?
I've been pretty quiet on the forum gear-wise lately so you probably won't find any photos of my complete rig for this band :)

For this, it's just one guitar...a 1963 Gibson SG Custom with three PAFs...

Amp-wise when we used to rehearse I used the rehearsal space's amps, which varied....when we go in to record it will be my Matchless Lightning 1x12.
Resident Spartan.

OffsetUsername
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by OffsetUsername » Sun May 24, 2020 10:08 am

zhivago wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 9:52 am
OffsetUsername wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 9:08 am
I've been pretty quiet on the forum gear-wise lately so you probably won't find any photos of my complete rig for this band :)

For this, it's just one guitar...a 1963 Gibson SG Custom with three PAFs...

Amp-wise when we used to rehearse I used the rehearsal space's amps, which varied....when we go in to record it will be my Matchless Lightning 1x12.
That is gorgeous! I've wanted to get an SG as another guitar but much later though this gives me second thoughts on making that sooner haha! How do you like the Matchless, I feel like I never hear much about them. To be fair, that can be said about any amp not Marshall or Fender lol

zhivago
Mods
Mods

Post by zhivago » Sun May 24, 2020 12:54 pm

OffsetUsername wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 10:08 am
That is gorgeous! I've wanted to get an SG as another guitar but much later though this gives me second thoughts on making that sooner haha! How do you like the Matchless, I feel like I never hear much about them. To be fair, that can be said about any amp not Marshall or Fender lol
Hey thanks! SGs are great guitars, and for this band I wanted a change of pace when it came to guitars.

I tried my '61 Jazzmaster and it was a bit too twangy for what I wanted to get sonically...plus I wanted more horsepower when it came to the output of the guitar. Tried my ES345 too...that one comes close as well to my needs, but the SG just has the edge at this point in time. :)

The Matchless Lightning is, for me, the greatest amp I've ever played. It has a Vox kinda flavour, with a bit of Marshall in there as well. I just don't look at other amps anymore. I've found my sound.

If I could change one thing, I'd make it lighter, as even at 15 watts, 1x12 it is so, so heavy...but the sound is in the transformers. I was sitting on some NOS valves for quite a few years, and a few months ago thought "what am I saving these valves for? My retirement??" and I dropped them in the Matchless. It sounds even better. :-*

I wanted one of these amps for a very, very long time, and eventually the stars aligned a few years ago. I managed to get an incredible deal on ebay...quite possibly my most amazing score ever, as people don't know much about them in the UK, it seems.

Two of my very best friends also have Matchless Lightning amps, and they are just as over the moon about them as I am. 8)
Resident Spartan.

OffsetUsername
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by OffsetUsername » Sun May 24, 2020 1:31 pm

zhivago wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 12:54 pm
OffsetUsername wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 10:08 am
I tried my '61 Jazzmaster and it was a bit too twangy for what I wanted to get sonically...plus I wanted more horsepower when it came to the output of the guitar. Tried my ES345 too...that one comes close as well to my needs, but the SG just has the edge at this point in time. :)

The Matchless Lightning is, for me, the greatest amp I've ever played. It has a Vox kinda flavour, with a bit of Marshall in there as well. I just don't look at other amps anymore. I've found my sound.

I wanted one of these amps for a very, very long time, and eventually the stars aligned a few years ago. I managed to get an incredible deal on ebay...quite possibly my most amazing score ever, as people don't know much about them in the UK, it seems.

Two of my very best friends also have Matchless Lightning amps, and they are just as over the moon about them as I am. 8)
Ah, well that's awesome to hear. Glad that you've got yourself a dream rig of yours going; I appreciate the chat/insight. Looking forward to hearing some of the recordings when they're ready, cheers!

fuzzjunkie
Expat
Expat

Post by fuzzjunkie » Mon May 25, 2020 6:02 pm

The Matchless DC-30 and Chieftain were popular with the up and coming indie and alt country crowd in the mid 90s - mid 2000s. Sign to a label , buy a Matchless.

Around Austin Ian Moore, Charlie Sexton, David Grissom and Lucinda Williams’ guitarists all used Matchless. I remember seeing a lot of mid size venue bands like Luna, Bedhead, and Wico using them. I think Johnny Marr and Peter Buck used them occasionally in the side projects they played in back then.

Great sounding amps, but I am partial to Tweed Fenders and Vox amps.

zhivago
Mods
Mods

Post by zhivago » Mon May 25, 2020 10:51 pm

They were one of the first boutique companies I guess. 8)
Resident Spartan.

marqueemoon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by marqueemoon » Tue May 26, 2020 12:09 am

zhivago wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 10:51 pm
The interwebz says founded in 1989. Kind of a bold move considering the market at the time (rack gear took a while to die, and real vintage amps with a few exceptions were still affordable-ish).

I’ve always loved the look and the build quality. I’ve tried a few and found them a bit too forward sounding for my liking. I like a saggier amp that helps hide my mistakes.

zhivago
Mods
Mods

Post by zhivago » Tue May 26, 2020 2:05 am

marqueemoon wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 12:09 am
zhivago wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 10:51 pm
The interwebz says founded in 1989. Kind of a bold move considering the market at the time (rack gear took a while to die, and real vintage amps with a few exceptions were still affordable-ish).

I’ve always loved the look and the build quality. I’ve tried a few and found them a bit too forward sounding for my liking. I like a saggier amp that helps hide my mistakes.
Totally...the "forwardness" is definitely one of the inherent traits...I really like how upfront it is...it's kinda like driving a really fast car...touch the gas and it just goes and goes. :D 8)
Resident Spartan.