Re: your effects setup?

Everyone needs a stompbox.
s_mcsleazy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by s_mcsleazy » Wed Nov 15, 2023 8:33 am

so i've mentioned recently i was building a smol pedalboard i could carry around on my bike because my regular board is *grabs scales* 20kg in it's case and too big. i also wanted to challenge myself to do it on a budget. here's what i came up with.

all the core parts of my tone but small. i do have room for 2 more small pedals. probably would go with a compressor and some kind of amp modeler for silent practice. just gotta figure out what half of the mooer amp modelers are based on.

the pedalboard is 1 harry in size. but does it fit on my bicycle?

YES IT DOES. perfectly actually
offset guitars resident bass player.
'Are you trying to seduce me Mrs Robinson? Or do you just want me to solder a couple of resistors into your Muff?'

tqi
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

-

Post by tqi » Wed Nov 15, 2023 9:41 am

-
Last edited by tqi on Sat Feb 03, 2024 8:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

s_mcsleazy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by s_mcsleazy » Wed Nov 15, 2023 9:52 am

tqi wrote:
Wed Nov 15, 2023 9:41 am
I assume the pedalboard is in the top case, and the two halves of your Mustang are split over the other two?
only after i break it.
'Are you trying to seduce me Mrs Robinson? Or do you just want me to solder a couple of resistors into your Muff?'

UlricvonCatalyst
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by UlricvonCatalyst » Mon Dec 04, 2023 9:20 am

s_mcsleazy wrote:
Wed Nov 15, 2023 8:33 am
so i've mentioned recently i was building a smol pedalboard i could carry around on my bike because my regular board is *grabs scales* 20kg in it's case and too big. i also wanted to challenge myself to do it on a budget. here's what i came up with.
What's the blue one in the middle?

s_mcsleazy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by s_mcsleazy » Mon Dec 04, 2023 10:02 am

UlricvonCatalyst wrote:
Mon Dec 04, 2023 9:20 am

What's the blue one in the middle?
donner tuttilove chorus, it's fine.

Shadoweclipse13
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Shadoweclipse13 » Sat Dec 23, 2023 12:07 am

After falling in love with my DC-2W a few months ago, and realizing that I already had a couple of Boss pedals that I like quite a bit, I finally tried an RE-2. I was out Xmas shopping and errand running the other day, and had 30 minutes I needed to kill before a shop I wanted to go to opened, and stopped by my local shop (Cream City Music).

For the record, I never tried an early 2000s RE-20 (nor an actual RE-201) but I love a lot of the bands in that era who used them. I loved it! Similar to my Catalinbread Echorec, with the mode selector (except that the RE-2 has little detents on the switch), and the tape-like sound. I like how some modes are echo only, some are reverb/short-delay only, and some are both. I grabbed one (at a 20% off deal for a holiday sale too!)

I also pre-ordered an IR-2 because for under $200, it's a killer sounding amp and IR sim, with lots of decent options.

I've always loved my EQD and Caroline stuff, and the style of boutique/boutique/style pedals, but there really is something about Boss pedals. So, I'm planning on slowly building an all-Boss board. I've now got an OC-5, DC-2W, RE-2, and an DD-8 (which I may or may not use here). I'm thinking about a BD-2W, FZ-1W, SL-2 or TR-2, and if I like it, a 2nd IR-2 (2 different amps simultaneously, run as a wet/dry or stereo thing, maybe).

Anyone have any other suggestions of cool Boss pedals to try? I tend to like phaser sounds more than flanger, but have never used a Boss phaser. I feel like for a small travel board, an octave, 2 gain stages, tremolo, chorus, delay/echo, and amp sim would get me most of the sounds I like to mess with, especially with most of the amp end of that line-up being stereo.
Last edited by Shadoweclipse13 on Sat Dec 23, 2023 12:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pickup Switching Mad Scientist
http://www.offsetguitars.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=104282&p=1438384#p1438384

sal paradise
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by sal paradise » Sat Dec 23, 2023 12:11 am

Shadoweclipse13 wrote:
Sat Dec 23, 2023 12:07 am
After falling in love with my DC-2W a few months ago, and realizing that I already had a couple of Boss pedals that I like quite a bit, I finally tried an RE-2. I was out Xmas shopping and errand running the other day, and had 30 minutes I needed to kill before a shop I wanted to go to opened, and stopped by my local shop (Cream City Music).

For the record, I never tried an early 2000s RE-20 (nor an actual RE-201,) but I love a lot of the bands in that era who used them. I loved it! Similar to my Catalinbread Echorec, with the mode selector (except that the RE-2 has little detents on the switch), and the tape-like sound. I like how some modes are echo only, some are reverb/short-delay only, and some are both. I grabbed one (at a 20% off deal for a holiday sale too!)

I also pre-ordered an IR-2 because for under $200, it's a killer sounding amp and IR sim, with lots of decent options.

I've always loved my EQD and Caroline stuff, and the style of boutique/boutique/style pedals, but there really is something about Boss pedals. So, I'm planning on slowly building an all-Boss board. I've now got an OC-5, DC-2W, RE-2, and an DD-8 (which I may or may not use here). I'm thinking about a BD-2W, FZ-1W, SL-2 or TR-2, and if I like it, a 2nd IR-2 (2 different amps simultaneously, run as a wet/dry or stereo thing, maybe).

Anyone have any other suggestions of cool Boss pedals to try? I tend to like phaser sounds more than flanger, but have never used a Boss phaser. I feel like for a small travel board, an octave, 2 gain stages, tremolo, chorus, delay/echo, and amp sim would get me most of the sounds I like to mess with, especially with most of the amp end of that line-up being stereo.
That sounds like a cool adventure, and with a great ending for your gear endeavours. Maybe less so for your wallet :D

After spending agggges trying to find a straight up digital delay with separate tap, I’ve had my head turned massively by the DD200. And the RV200. I just sold my Strymon Flint as a friend wanted it- was considering a v1 blue sky again, but the RV200 is only slightly more…
I have nothing to offer anybody, except my own confusion?

Shadoweclipse13
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Shadoweclipse13 » Sat Dec 23, 2023 12:16 am

sal paradise wrote:
Sat Dec 23, 2023 12:11 am
That sounds like a cool adventure, and with a great ending for your gear endeavours. Maybe less so for your wallet :D

After spending agggges trying to find a straight up digital delay with separate tap, I’ve had my head turned massively by the DD200. And the RV200. I just sold my Strymon Flint as a friend wanted it- was considering a v1 blue sky again, but the RV200 is only slightly more…
Yeah, the wallet thing, haha. Hence why the "slow building" :D Maybe find some used deals too.

I should've said that I'd like to do this with the standard size Boss pedals, not the 200 or 500 series. I like the idea as some of those sound cool, but menu diving always annoys or gives me anxiety really quickly.

Have you tried the DD200 or the RV200 in person yet?
http://www.offsetguitars.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=104282&p=1438384#p1438384

sal paradise
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by sal paradise » Sat Dec 23, 2023 12:29 am

Shadoweclipse13 wrote:
Sat Dec 23, 2023 12:16 am
Yeah, the wallet thing, haha. Hence why the "slow building" :D Maybe find some used deals too.

I should've said that I'd like to do this with the standard size Boss pedals, not the 200 or 500 series. I like the idea as some of those sound cool, but menu diving always annoys or gives me anxiety really quickly.

I need to go and try them as I’m the same with menus. That’s why I loved my TC electronic flashback x4: multi-delay but only knobs to turn. I’ve convinced myself that the 200 series is super simple so it might be a heartbreaking demo.

For single pedals, I’ve just gone back to the TR2 because it’s perfect for how I like to use tremolo. The TE2 is a fun pedal that MrShake turned me onto. The FZ-1W is really good, but it doesn’t sound as alive as other fuzz pedals I’m loving right now. I remember reading somewhere the HM-2 is based on a fuzz circuit, so maybe HM-2W? ::)

I’ve also been keeping an eye out for an MZ-2 as it’s supposed to be pretty flexible & works well at lower gain.
I have nothing to offer anybody, except my own confusion?

i love sharin foo
Mods
Mods

Post by i love sharin foo » Sat Dec 23, 2023 7:56 am

I have a Red Panda Context V1 that I am going to try out instead of the old RV-2 here shortly. The dirt board is really loaded up right now. Pedals don't do any good sitting on shelves 8) The analogman in the top right is a Sun Lion with high gain germanium GEs in the Sun Face side and high gain, bass tuned for the Beano. The Zvex in the front is a Laura Bennett pained Woolly Mammoth. I've had that guy a hair under 20 years now.

There's a second Cioks4 underneath the first one :D
A death’s head ring upon his finger

zhivago
Mods
Mods

Post by zhivago » Sat Dec 23, 2023 11:58 am

Excellent, as always, Justin!!! Lots of great options there!! :-* 8)
Resident Spartan.

i love sharin foo
Mods
Mods

Post by i love sharin foo » Sat Dec 23, 2023 1:30 pm

zhivago wrote:
Sat Dec 23, 2023 11:58 am
Thanks!! I’ve been using a variation on this theme for a couple years now with great results. Having both the Moog and Diamond delays onboard is great. The Diamond tremolo is the best I’ve ever had. I prefer it over the Lovetone even. I’ve really, finally given in to the fact that Fuzz Faces and variations are my #1. The Analogman MKIV is a nice counterpoint to them though. Really glad I got it.
A death’s head ring upon his finger

zhivago
Mods
Mods

Post by zhivago » Sat Dec 23, 2023 1:42 pm

i love sharin foo wrote:
Sat Dec 23, 2023 1:30 pm
zhivago wrote:
Sat Dec 23, 2023 11:58 am
Thanks!! I’ve been using a variation on this theme for a couple years now with great results. Having both the Moog and Diamond delays onboard is great. The Diamond tremolo is the best I’ve ever had. I prefer it over the Lovetone even. I’ve really, finally given in to the fact that Fuzz Faces and variations are my #1. The Analogman MKIV is a nice counterpoint to them though. Really glad I got it.
I am totally feeling the Fuzz Faces too...it is interesting how they react with different pickups and become almost a different pedal sometimes.

8)
Resident Spartan.

JVG
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JVG » Sat Dec 23, 2023 2:46 pm

Shadoweclipse13 wrote:
Sat Dec 23, 2023 12:07 am
So, I'm planning on slowly building an all-Boss board. I've now got an OC-5, DC-2W, RE-2, and an DD-8 (which I may or may not use here). I'm thinking about a BD-2W, FZ-1W, SL-2 or TR-2, and if I like it, a 2nd IR-2 (2 different amps simultaneously, run as a wet/dry or stereo thing, maybe).
Do it, do it, do it! Boss boards rule :)

Oh look, apparently I have one:
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=123800&sid=c86dbf4 ... b8c71b1a63

Shameless!

Shadoweclipse13
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Shadoweclipse13 » Mon Dec 25, 2023 11:56 pm

sal paradise wrote:
Sat Dec 23, 2023 12:29 am
Shadoweclipse13 wrote:
Sat Dec 23, 2023 12:16 am

I need to go and try them as I’m the same with menus. That’s why I loved my TC electronic flashback x4: multi-delay but only knobs to turn. I’ve convinced myself that the 200 series is super simple so it might be a heartbreaking demo.

For single pedals, I’ve just gone back to the TR2 because it’s perfect for how I like to use tremolo. The TE2 is a fun pedal that MrShake turned me onto. The FZ-1W is really good, but it doesn’t sound as alive as other fuzz pedals I’m loving right now. I remember reading somewhere the HM-2 is based on a fuzz circuit, so maybe HM-2W? ::)

I’ve also been keeping an eye out for an MZ-2 as it’s supposed to be pretty flexible & works well at lower gain.
You might love the 200 series. I've heard that they're pretty user-friendly, but with the screen on a pedal, I never dove too deep into information about them. It's weird, because I love having all the options, but with an LCD screen, I always feel like I'm not using the pedal as much as I could. BUT there are plenty of pedals that have options but not an LCD screen, and for some reason I don't feel like I'm missing out as badly. Definitely a weird mental thing.

I've never tried the the Tera Echo, and honestly never looked into it. I got the DD-8 around the time it came out (or only found out about the Tera when I bought the DD-8) and figured by the name that it was just a pedal with a really long delay times. Maybe I'll check out some demos. The DD-8 never really sold me, but maybe the TE-2 will...

Ooh! I always forget that they released the HM-2W! I'll check that out too!!

JVG wrote:
Sat Dec 23, 2023 2:46 pm
Do it, do it, do it! Boss boards rule :)

Oh look, apparently I have one:
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=123800&sid=c86dbf4 ... b8c71b1a63

Shameless!
Very nice board!! How do you like the FZ-1W? That's definitely on my radar, as is the GE-7 (don't know why I didn't think of that one earlier too).

It's funny, but my first proper board (proper in the sense that it wasn't pedals on the ground, although a raw piece of pine with crappy Velcro barely qualifies for me with my own stuff :D) was an all-Boss board, even though it was unintentional. Just 3 pedals: Keeley-modded BD-2 > Keeley-modded TR-2 > standard DD-3. At the time (before I discovered my love of multiple delays and also phasers), it did everything I wanted to do with guitar. I had a lot of fun with it, but damn, have I learned SO much more about pedals and playing since 2007/2008.