Re: your effects setup?

Everyone needs a stompbox.
nealescott
Expat
Expat

your effects setup?

Post by nealescott » Sun Sep 24, 2006 8:03 am

i thought it'd be interesting to see everyone's current effects setups, since it seems we offsetters are almost as fascinated by pedals as we are with offset guitars..

here's what i'm using at the moment..

the main pedalboard is made by a great company near me here in england called NSP flightcases, it has a detatchable lid, which i modded with some extra padding and fauz leopard fur, very cool.

the smaller board is a homemade plywood thing for the effects i use less often like the whammy and moogerfooger.

and here's my new favourite mental fuzz box... the effector 13 Sodameiser...

and another key element of my sound... modified for modern use... the wonderful old watkins copicat:

let's see your effects!  :D
apocalypse is happenning.

Orang Goreng
Mods
Mods

Post by Orang Goreng » Sun Sep 24, 2006 8:35 am

For use with the organs.

Assorted crap for the guitars. I know, I really need to clean.

Long live the nineties! I use this for recording (mainly the compressor).
In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man's a freak.

nealescott
Expat
Expat

Post by nealescott » Sun Sep 24, 2006 8:44 am

cool orang!

you got a morley wah too!! they kick ass don't they! :)

Orang Goreng
Mods
Mods

Post by Orang Goreng » Sun Sep 24, 2006 8:48 am

Actually, it's a volume pedal. It's a very cheap Morley, with a simple set of pots rather than an optical thingy. I'm out of wahs at the moment...there's one in the Shin-Ei fuzz pedal, but it's busted (I think the inductor coil has deteriorated), so I disabled it and wired the fuzz pitch selector to the wah switch.

mezcalhead
Admin
Admin

Post by mezcalhead » Sun Sep 24, 2006 9:40 am

nealescott wrote: ... modified for modern use... the wonderful old watkins copicat:
By modified I guess you mean the white Fender knobs?  :)

You definitely get some nice sounds out of that .. I'm going to have to get myself a tape delay of some kind some day. I've chased a few of the Copicats on ebay but so far they've always gotten away.

Here's my board as of 4 months ago .. the actual board is a Rockboard with only four power outs, so since then my effects have multiplied, overflowed onto the floor and really need sorting out.

And here it is in context .. just ignore that blue guitar on the left if you like ..

Distance-crunching honcho with echo unit.

nealescott
Expat
Expat

Post by nealescott » Sun Sep 24, 2006 9:54 am

wow! cool, that room looks huuuge mezcal! i wish i had that kind of space :( i love big high ceiling, bay window type old victorian rooms.

what is the chrome effect with 3 knobs on the upper right???

i modded the copicat by removing the short built in output cable that they come with, and adding a proper output socket, and i also built a new remote on/off footswitch for it, with a much longer cable than the crappy short built in one, these are very useful mods cuz it means i can place the copicat wherever i want and use long cables to reach the amps instead of having to have it within 3 feet of the amp.

Orang Goreng
Mods
Mods

Post by Orang Goreng » Sun Sep 24, 2006 10:24 am

Neale, what's that Moog thing on your board? What does it do? It didn't realise they made effects!

nealescott
Expat
Expat

Post by nealescott » Sun Sep 24, 2006 10:39 am

that's a moogerfooger analog ring modulator pedal.

it's actually a pretty awesome synthesizer module which makes some amazingly rich modulated sounds, i use it as a vibrato sometimes too, sometimes as a ringmod siren generator....

fullerplast
Mods
Mods

Post by fullerplast » Sun Sep 24, 2006 11:20 am

OK, here's my elaborate effects setup. It's kinda hard to explain how it works; one button is for this really neat effect called REVERB and it turns it ON and OFF. The other button actually enables a whole 'nother channel to activate at the moment the button is pushed, with preset controls of the user's choice on this other box I have (called AMP):

It's really cool....

;)
Q. Are we not men?

mezcalhead
Admin
Admin

Post by mezcalhead » Sun Sep 24, 2006 12:25 pm

nealescott wrote: wow! cool, that room looks huuuge mezcal! i wish i had that kind of space :( i love big high ceiling, bay window type old victorian rooms.

what is the chrome effect with 3 knobs on the upper right???

i modded the copicat by removing the short built in output cable that they come with, and adding a proper output socket, and i also built a new remote on/off footswitch for it, with a much longer cable than the crappy short built in one, these are very useful mods cuz it means i can place the copicat wherever i want and use long cables to reach the amps instead of having to have it within 3 feet of the amp.
Ah yeah, I remember now you said you changed some of the leads/inputs. Those little solid state Copicats really are the business.

That is a pretty spacious room but it isn't quite as big as that picture makes it look for some reason .. maybe because that's the only time it's ever been that tidy. It should be the dining room but we use it as the music room .. there's some more amps you can't see over to the right next to a couch, then my wife's drum kit in the back left corner next to the aforementioned huge useless keyboard organ. Usually the floor is covered with notebooks, leads, pedals, batteries, CDs, etc.

The chrome effect is a Red Witch Deluxe Moon Phaser, not as over the top as some phasers, but with lots of idiosyncratic sounds and a nice stereo field.

Orang, there are several Moog effects, all pretty highly thought of .. have a look here under Moogerfooger in the top bar.

Doug .. please stop blinding me with technology .. it's not fair, you're a rocket scientist!

:D

(BTW I love embedding links .. so much better than the old place, where it stopped working if you weren't pedalling hard enough .. )

Orang Goreng
Mods
Mods

Post by Orang Goreng » Sun Sep 24, 2006 12:52 pm

mezcalhead wrote: (BTW I love embedding links .. so much better than the old place, where it stopped working if you weren't pedalling hard enough .. )
Yeah, how exactly do you do that cool thing where you make a word or a phrase clickable? I can do that in a WYSIWYG editor, but I haven't figured out how to do that here.

mezcalhead
Admin
Admin

Post by mezcalhead » Sun Sep 24, 2006 1:25 pm

Highlight the word, then click on the blue world symbol ("Insert Hyperlink"), then change the open (first) tag to read [url =www.offsetguitars.com] or whatever you want to throw in there (but leave out the space after "url", I just put that in to stop it actually making a link).

Orang Goreng
Mods
Mods

Post by Orang Goreng » Sun Sep 24, 2006 1:43 pm

That seems highly doable. Thanks!

i love sharin foo
Mods
Mods

Post by i love sharin foo » Sun Sep 24, 2006 7:09 pm

Here is what I'm using at the moment. I have tons of junk on shelves though, which I seem to switch between constantly. I used to sell things to fund different ones, but then I always regretted not having the old ones around. So, for the last few years, I've been trying not to sell anything. It helps fend of g.a.s. too  :D

The signal chain is something along the lines of this, I think:
Zvex Super hard On ->
Zvex Woolly Mammoth ->
Rat II ->
Ernie Ball VP Jr. (Boss TU-2 in tuner out)
Boss PN-2 ->
Boss TR-2 (modded for more volume and better wave definition) ->
Boss RV-5 ->
Boss DM-3 ->
EHX Deluxe Memory Man ->
Moog Analog Delay ->
Line6 DL-4 (w/ Moog expression pedal)

Justin
The whispers cut like hard rain, Like sugar in a hurricane

daydreamdelay
Mods
Mods

Post by daydreamdelay » Sun Sep 24, 2006 8:16 pm

This is the chain I'm building at the moment, I'm waiting for the Wob clone to arrive from Germany and will take a few pics once it's here..

Boss TU-2
Proco "vintage" Rat
Sovtek Big Muff - Green
Boss PN-2 trem/pan
Wob clone
Boss RPS-10 PS/Delay
Boss RRV-10 Reverb

I'm waiting on a bypass box for the Boss half racks and the parts to build an AMZ Mosfet boost which will look a bit like the DBA Intersteller Overdriver. I might also rehouse the Big Muff soon, as much as I hate the idea the jacks seem to be more and more iffy every day.. if I do it's not going in some little MXR box with some fancy glitter paint job. It's going in a big ugly green box like it's meant to be, just not one cast from old soviet tank metal.

I'll also be adding these pedals over the next little while.. Colorsound Wah, EHX Deluxe Memory Man, Moogerfooger Ring Mod, Zvex Fuzz Factory or DBA Supersonic Fuzz Gun, and I'd love to find a Vox repeat percussion.