Re: your effects setup?

Everyone needs a stompbox.
jorri
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by jorri » Wed Feb 24, 2021 3:32 pm

Well here we go! Ms50g and I removed five pedals for it: tuner, dimension, smallstone, freqout, subnup (well this last is more because band has bassist now). One-song pedals.

Drives a work in progress. Eyemaster is cool for £25. AMT VXCLN rather awesome and want to try in fx loop, sounds enough like having a dirty ac30 on an a/b switch.

Thinking of Dunes and Apocalypse. Probably dunes for the hustle drive/rat clone (3rd left top). Latter for the eyemaster of course, keeping my fuzzface-in-synth-hell pedal 'void'. Been looking at the teisco delay now for dr j shadow echo upgrade.

Firecat
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Firecat » Wed Mar 03, 2021 4:22 am

I've been rethinking my set up for the past couple of months and put together two boards: a big one for the band and a small one for at home.

I think I've settled on these:

The board is a pedaltrain 1 and it's powered by a Strymon Zuma. Here's the chain and how I mainly use them:

- Korg tuner
- Mooer Yellow Comp (mainly for finger picking)
- Xotic Super Clean (almost always on)
- Mooer Tender Octaver (for organ like swells)
- Hungry Robot LG overdrive (very dynamic light to medium gain depending on how hard I play)
- JHS Moonshine v2 (light gain overdrive for rythm with clean knob set high and drive knob set low, sounds almost like doubled clean and crunchy guitars. Also use it to to gain boost the distortions, sounds nice because of the clean signal also being there)
- DOD Gunslinger (high gain distortion)
- Zvex Box of Rock (high gain distortion on the right, but less raspy than the Gunslinger, and overall volume boost on the left)
- Dunlop volume pedal mini (mainly for swells)
- Boss DD-7 with tap tempo mod (clean digital repeats)
- Boss RV-6 (modulated reverb)
- Mooer Trelicopter (basic trem)
- Zoom CDR-70 (made several presets for specific songs, mainly used for ambient sounds)
- Strymon El Capistan with favorite switch (warm modulated tape delay and brighter/cleaner tape delay in the favorite setting)
- Strymon blueSky (almost always on room reverb and shimmer reverb in the favorite setting)

The goal for small board was to be able to get similar sounds as the big one with a much smaller footprint. At the same time, I wanted it to be pretty versatile for experimenting and finding sounds at home.

Metro 16 with Truetone CS-6 powering it:

- Timmy clone (light and medium gain, acting like the Hungry Robot and JHS on the big board)
- Mooer Black Secret (distortion, acting like the DOD Gunslinger and right side of the Zvex)
- Broadcast clone (different than the original it has a 3-way switch for light, medium and high gain, I use it as a clean boost to add some sparkle or volume boost for the other drives, so functioning more or less like the Compressor, Super Clean and left side of the Box of Rock)
- Boss Volume pedal
- Line 6 Echo Park (love this pedal, functions like the DD-7 and El capistan on the big board)
- Zoom CDR-70 (same ambient presets as the one on the big board + modulated reverb to replace the RV-6, Tremolo and Tuner)
- Neunaber Seraphim (basic hall reverb + shimmer, functioning like the blueSky on the big board)

lamp
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by lamp » Thu Mar 04, 2021 12:52 pm

Added the Shortwave and the Slö recently:

jorri
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by jorri » Sat Mar 13, 2021 4:40 pm

It evolved!

So ernie ball MVP (cropped)>
ts7 is an experiment, i am thinking of getting a palisades>
Ms50g in bypass loop>
Teisco delay>
My rat clone 'Fauna' (likewise i think a palisades would relace it)>
My 'Lightsout Void', a heavier Dam Meathead with Eq and craziness>
DBA apocalypse
---FXLOOP BREAK---
AMT vx clean
Eventide space
Hologram microcosm

The most attention ive given my board since, what,...2013? Its basically a new board, one pedal to go.

I am unsure of order still. Do i need MVP after? What if i want apocalypse pre-delay but post-Void, and still the void post-delay. Ah i am confused so will get back to that all i know is i found a cool sound pre-delay, and a cool one post-voidfuzz!.

I was looking at a Dunes, but i found used Palisades cheaper. If it can replace my Hustle Drive and the way i use a rat on low gain it saves two pedals. So i got my ts7, from 2008, barely used ever, i like how it stacks, sound is not that inspiring alone.
Now Apocalypse takes place of the high-gain rat tones already, in every difference is better...

Teisco delay i really like. It is a bit mad on the 'usable pot values'. Struggle to fit in how i stack dirts vs which dirts i want before or after it. Maybe the solution to previous paragraph is just try out the void pre-delay.

Well lockdown sure complicated my setup. Lets see when i play live again if this much dirt is any help!

gishuk
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by gishuk » Mon Mar 15, 2021 9:58 am

Because you cant ever have too many overdrives I've added the Ceriatone Centura Klon clone. Very impressed with it, after some time playing it I get the 'klon thing', I think thats going to stick around for a long time.

Also changed my power supply out for a Strymon Zuma, but thats on the underside of the board so cant really tell visually, but its made a big difference to any noise I was getting before. The Katzenkonig still makes a lot of noise, but now its a lot instead of a massive lot :D

Still also dont know how people manage to get their boards looking so neat! Mines a bloody mess.

Meriphew
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Meriphew » Sat Mar 20, 2021 5:39 am

My current studio board

jorri
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by jorri » Mon Mar 22, 2021 10:29 am

Meriphew wrote:
Sat Mar 20, 2021 5:39 am
My current studio board

How's the Wessex? I am looking for a versatile overdrive myself.

Meriphew
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Meriphew » Thu Mar 25, 2021 3:22 pm

jorri wrote:
Mon Mar 22, 2021 10:29 am
Meriphew wrote:
My current studio board

I love the Wessex. It's been my main mid/light OD pedal for years now. The only negative thing I will say is that it (and the Bogner Burnley that I own) has the worst foot switch I've ever had on a pedal. It's super stiff, hard to engage, and feels like it's going to break any time you step on it. According to some owners the foot switch does actually collapse/break at some point. I'm eventually going to get the switch replaced.

jorri
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by jorri » Mon Mar 29, 2021 6:27 am

Meriphew wrote:
Thu Mar 25, 2021 3:22 pm
jorri wrote:
Mon Mar 22, 2021 10:29 am
Meriphew wrote:
My current studio board

I love the Wessex. It's been my main mid/light OD pedal for years now. The only negative thing I will say is that it (and the Bogner Burnley that I own) has the worst foot switch I've ever had on a pedal. It's super stiff, hard to engage, and feels like it's going to break any time you step on it. According to some owners the foot switch does actually collapse/break at some point. I'm eventually going to get the switch replaced.
Sounds like some of the cheaper DIY switches you get.
Yes I am not sure on the style of it as can only find classic rock demos. Have my eye on a Palisades, obviously quite different but figured it was a tubescreamer-style with eq and a transformer. I use an ocd and a rat on lower gain currently and really want something more adjustable between lots of things in the middle, with higher gain, not like a klon or 'transparent od': a 'coloured od'.

MrJagsquire
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by MrJagsquire » Thu Apr 01, 2021 8:21 am

Time to add to this thread I think. I've changed mine a lot over the last few months, partly because I didn't really run a pedal board until late last year. I'd just use a single pedal as and when I wanted one.

I run a 'boost board' into my Marshall Mini Jubilee head and 2x12 cab. I have a 'loop board' connected for reverbs, delays, etc too. I don't tend to use the loop board as much at the moment, when practising at home, but it will get used with the (covers) band once we're back rehearsing and playing gigs again. :)

Boost board (Pedal train Nano Max:

Loop board (Pedal train Nano Plus):

I use these pink(!) battery power supplies: They last for ages and can be used whilst charging. I got a deal on the pink ones at half the price of the black version. You can see how many 'bars' light up as to how much battery is left, but I charge the boost board one about once per month and I play it nearly every day for 1-2 hours. 8)

Jaguar sounds great into it, especially now I've added a mid boost inside the guitar. :)

Meriphew
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Meriphew » Fri Apr 02, 2021 1:07 pm

jorri wrote:
Mon Mar 29, 2021 6:27 am
Yes I am not sure on the style of it as can only find classic rock demos. Have my eye on a Palisades, obviously quite different but figured it was a tubescreamer-style with eq and a transformer. I use an ocd and a rat on lower gain currently and really want something more adjustable between lots of things in the middle, with higher gain, not like a klon or 'transparent od': a 'coloured od'.
The Wessex sits in the same sonic territory as a tubescreamer, but doesn't sound anything like one. It definitely isn't anything like a Klon or Barbershop (transparent OD). To me it's a perfect mid gain sound for modern rock. It sits very nicely within a mix.

marqueemoon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by marqueemoon » Fri Apr 02, 2021 6:49 pm

MrJagsquire wrote:
Thu Apr 01, 2021 8:21 am
Time to add to this thread I think. I've changed mine a lot over the last few months, partly because I didn't really run a pedal board until late last year. I'd just use a single pedal as and when I wanted one.

I run a 'boost board' into my Marshall Mini Jubilee head and 2x12 cab. I have a 'loop board' connected for reverbs, delays, etc too. I don't tend to use the loop board as much at the moment, when practising at home, but it will get used with the (covers) band once we're back rehearsing and playing gigs again. :)

Boost board (Pedal train Nano Max:

Loop board (Pedal train Nano Plus):

I use these pink(!) battery power supplies: They last for ages and can be used whilst charging. I got a deal on the pink ones at half the price of the black version. You can see how many 'bars' light up as to how much battery is left, but I charge the boost board one about once per month and I play it nearly every day for 1-2 hours. 8)

Jaguar sounds great into it, especially now I've added a mid boost inside the guitar. :)
These are cool.

Also, I use that same style of clips under my boards for cable management. They're great.

MrJagsquire
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by MrJagsquire » Sat Apr 03, 2021 1:36 am

marqueemoon wrote:
Fri Apr 02, 2021 6:49 pm
These are cool.

Also, I use that same style of clips under my boards for cable management. They're great.
Thanks, I get those clips included with some jobs at work and there's usually a few spare, so I keep a bag of them handy. :)

jorri
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by jorri » Sat Apr 03, 2021 6:01 am

Meriphew wrote:
Fri Apr 02, 2021 1:07 pm
jorri wrote:
The Wessex sits in the same sonic territory as a tubescreamer, but doesn't sound anything like one. It definitely isn't anything like a Klon or Barbershop (transparent OD). To me it's a perfect mid gain sound for modern rock. It sits very nicely within a mix.
The transformer does sound lush to me. But i think maybe its a case of would love it but not what intended. Maybe if the eq were pre-drive or something. Is a bit too hifi, and want some rattly (low gain rat?) or no-nonsense-mid-boost (ocd). I researched loads including Hamstead Odyssey, and Nanolog (another unique clipping thing), Hudson germanium drive but kept coming back to that bandwidth/clip control on palisades and how its rough around the edges, would stack like a TS. Shame its overkill, and the reduced version Dunes is underkill and more expensive used, so i nearly want to build one!. Perhaps just as my last pedal is a real tube amp sim, and my amp is a transformer solid-state with good drive and to fill the hole need a bit of a multi-fx.
If the palisades was just actually two controllable channels, no boost, options divided up between trebly low gain and fuzzy bass-mids channels, i'd build that- perhaps i should add in a neve transformer ha idk!

Meriphew
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Meriphew » Sat Apr 03, 2021 6:22 am

jorri wrote:
Sat Apr 03, 2021 6:01 am
Meriphew wrote:
Fri Apr 02, 2021 1:07 pm
jorri wrote:
The transformer does sound lush to me. But i think maybe its a case of would love it but not what intended. Maybe if the eq were pre-drive or something. Is a bit too hifi, and want some rattly (low gain rat?) or no-nonsense-mid-boost (ocd). I researched loads including Hamstead Odyssey, and Nanolog (another unique clipping thing), Hudson germanium drive but kept coming back to that bandwidth/clip control on palisades and how its rough around the edges, would stack like a TS. Shame its overkill, and the reduced version Dunes is underkill and more expensive used, so i nearly want to build one!. Perhaps just as my last pedal is a real tube amp sim, and my amp is a transformer solid-state with good drive and to fill the hole need a bit of a multi-fx.
If the palisades was just actually two controllable channels, no boost, options divided up between trebly low gain and fuzzy bass-mids channels, i'd build that- perhaps i should add in a neve transformer ha idk!
Maybe try out a Spaceman Saturn VI. It's an original circuit that can get pretty ragged sounding.