Re: your effects setup?

Post by jorri » Sat Apr 03, 2021 6:43 am

Meriphew wrote:
Sat Apr 03, 2021 6:22 am
jorri wrote:
Sat Apr 03, 2021 6:01 am
Meriphew wrote:
Fri Apr 02, 2021 1:07 pm

The Wessex sits in the same sonic territory as a tubescreamer, but doesn't sound anything like one. It definitely isn't anything like a Klon or Barbershop (transparent OD). To me it's a perfect mid gain sound for modern rock. It sits very nicely within a mix.
The transformer does sound lush to me. But i think maybe its a case of would love it but not what intended. Maybe if the eq were pre-drive or something. Is a bit too hifi, and want some rattly (low gain rat?) or no-nonsense-mid-boost (ocd). I researched loads including Hamstead Odyssey, and Nanolog (another unique clipping thing), Hudson germanium drive but kept coming back to that bandwidth/clip control on palisades and how its rough around the edges, would stack like a TS. Shame its overkill, and the reduced version Dunes is underkill and more expensive used, so i nearly want to build one!. Perhaps just as my last pedal is a real tube amp sim, and my amp is a transformer solid-state with good drive and to fill the hole need a bit of a multi-fx.
If the palisades was just actually two controllable channels, no boost, options divided up between trebly low gain and fuzzy bass-mids channels, i'd build that- perhaps i should add in a neve transformer ha idk!
Maybe try out a Spaceman Saturn VI. It's an original circuit that can get pretty ragged sounding.
Thanks, havent checked that one yet. Might even stack well with wessex if i go more expensive and just get two.

jorri
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by jorri » Sat Apr 03, 2021 8:06 am

I thought, maybe not quite versatile enough on the Saturn VI.
But then i found the Hudson Broadcast 24v dual footswitch, not the Sidecar, as I previously thought it was only a boost. That might be perfect, a sound i had in my head, maybe not quite doing compressed hi gain things or a tone control, but it should stack well or i sneakily mod the second gain setting a bit higher/bassier!.

invisible man
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by invisible man » Wed Apr 07, 2021 7:15 pm

This is my humble board. Nothing particularly special, but it’s mine. I am so pleased I finally got it set up properly. I had an IKEA shelf board with standard power surge protector with One Spot daisy chain and a few wall-wart adapters without a case for the longest time. It was an eyesore and bummed me out. Got this Pedaltrain Classic 2 and case last summer, ordered the VDL PP3+ and waited over six months for production delays to work themselves out. No complaints on the production delay, bigger problems on everyone’s hands this year. Tonight I put on the cable ties to achieve cleaner cabling. Decided to put some Velcro on the bottom so the cable ties are anchored to the bottom of the slats. I’m guessing I’m not the first to do this, but haven’t seen it mentioned anywhere.

I’ve got some room to grow! I might change up my drives: maybe a Keeley D&M Drive or JHS Morninglory instead of FullDrive2 (open to suggestions), maybe a Wampler Tumnus or Ceriatone Centura instead of EHX Soul Food. Also want to add a DOD Rubberneck, Cascade Axis Fuzz. At some point I want to run multiple amps, so when I take that dive there will be a Radial ABY (or two). Currently used for Jazzmaster and Bass VI, into a Scarlet Focusrite interface. Fewer opportunities to play through my Fender Pro Reverb (1980, ultralinear, master volume) these days. I want to move to a bigger place, get a bass amp, maybe a few lunch box amps to run wet/dry/wet.
Last edited by invisible man on Fri Apr 09, 2021 12:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
https://soundcloud.com/billy-gashade

Sauerkraut
Expat
Expat

Post by Sauerkraut » Thu Apr 08, 2021 3:03 am

I cycle around with my gear, so I need to be able to fit my pedalboard in a bike bag. I have about the biggest board that still fits (metro 24).

I like that it somewhat limits the length of my pedal chain, though I've crammed it full. I have to pack two power supplies in a separate little bag. It's heavy, but it works.

Here's what's inside...

(TRIGGER WARNING for those who like their pedal boards neat and tidy: scroll back up now or get hurt)

TU2 -> EQD Plumes ->'86 Rat -> EQD Night Wire -> Reuss Swiss Army Knife (Klon + Rat clone) -> AmpFx ZVex Woolly Mammoth clone -> Dwarfcraft Wizard of Pitch -> DOD FX90 -> Boss RE20 -> Digitech Polara -> EHX 720 looper

That's two ODs, two Rats and a fuzz. Works really well for me.
At my practice room I put a boss volume pedal (fv-500h) before everything for volume swells/"manual" tremolo. I plan on adding a switch to it so I can shift between expression and volume modes without having to replug anything and use it to control the repeat rate on the RE20 as well.

invisible man
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by invisible man » Fri Apr 09, 2021 12:32 pm

Sauerkraut wrote:
Thu Apr 08, 2021 3:03 am
I cycle around with my gear, so I need to be able to fit my pedalboard in a bike bag. I have about the biggest board that still fits (metro 24).

I like that it somewhat limits the length of my pedal chain, though I've crammed it full. I have to pack two power supplies in a separate little bag. It's heavy, but it works.

Here's what's inside...

(TRIGGER WARNING for those who like their pedal boards neat and tidy: scroll back up now or get hurt)

TU2 -> EQD Plumes ->'86 Rat -> EQD Night Wire -> Reuss Swiss Army Knife (Klon + Rat clone) -> AmpFx ZVex Woolly Mammoth clone -> Dwarfcraft Wizard of Pitch -> DOD FX90 -> Boss RE20 -> Digitech Polara -> EHX 720 looper

That's two ODs, two Rats and a fuzz. Works really well for me.
At my practice room I put a boss volume pedal (fv-500h) before everything for volume swells/"manual" tremolo. I plan on adding a switch to it so I can shift between expression and volume modes without having to replug anything and use it to control the repeat rate on the RE20 as well.
If you are also carrying your instrument and amp on your bike, then pics of your bike cargo setup are required
https://soundcloud.com/billy-gashade

Sauerkraut
Expat
Expat

Post by Sauerkraut » Sun Apr 11, 2021 1:11 am

invisible man wrote:
Fri Apr 09, 2021 12:32 pm
If you are also carrying your instrument and amp on your bike, then pics of your bike cargo setup are required
Nah, just a guitar on my back and the bike bag strapped to the back luggage carrier. I have two amps in two practice rooms and one at home.

jorri
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by jorri » Sun Apr 11, 2021 3:47 pm

And that's a wrap on it! Husdon top right. Think its right, more tweaking needed of the trimmers as it was 'clean or explosion fuzz' when arrived! Added options of voltages not tried much either. End of obsessing on that anyway. I actually like its DI signal more in some ways, and moved around the setup quite a bit to account for buffers and all. Theres certainly a harsh brutality available in it and it goes fuzzier than my fuzz war setting on Apocalypse- wasnt looking for that, but i played using Apocalypse as an OD (jFet i call 'vintage' setting like early fuzz with volum backed off a bit) and the Broadcast as a fuzz and liked it for an alternate setup!
Things are lopsided because of stereo recording and lack of jack space.

Who knew my amp volumes were ALL straight after the preamp on my Carlsboro stingray?! Get this: what looks like 'master' and 'input gain' are in the same place! So as soon as a pedal without soft switches was in the FX loop, it popped full volume and had no gain for my amp sim. My own build passive tiny reamp box is in there as a volume pot and and did the trick if adding even more of its transformer saturation- interesting having to be running a solid state with 'attenuator' though. More like half volume. Sounds lusher. The amp has attenuator too, and the reverb stopped its weird resonances being fed a hotter signal.

One amp for a mod if i can be bothered as those pots are intermittent and scratchy.

Fin on this tenuous story while i commit to not spending much money for a year (maybe on sample software).

i love sharin foo
Mods
Mods

Post by i love sharin foo » Thu Apr 15, 2021 3:59 pm

For all things heavy, I am thrilled with this as it sits right now. Still chewing over a few ideas for fine-tuning things for a couple more sounds kicking around in my head. But for now, it'll do. The Fuzzlord FU-2 is amazing. It's one of those sounds that I never thought, "Damn, I NEED that". But you know what.. I really do. It just fucking works. Sometimes a fat, old school tone is what I need, but nasty, tear your face off sounds really fits a lot of what I do. Probably most of it. He did way more than just a straight clone of the Boss unit. I had one of those and this one is a different animal. I :-* the thing. Just got the Frost Giant Massif. It's a nice contrast to the trusty old D*A*M black and gold Meathead. I need more time to compare them, but I think I have a need and place for both on there. The Mu-Tron is the only wah that's ever worked for me. I keep the volume pot nearly cranked and use the second switch as a booster. And it's a damn fine one at that. The Life Pedal can do just about anything and everything. The blendable octave (Tentacle) is amazing. The DM-3 is usually adjusted for shorter times and the Maxon set to longer ones. I am considering swapping out my George L's stuff for something else. I've been using them for almost 20 years though and am pretty heavily invested in them by now, which makes it tough. I like the look of the low profile EBS flat cables but I’d need like $1000 worth to replace all my George L’s.

The whispers cut like hard rain, Like sugar in a hurricane

CorporateDisguise
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by CorporateDisguise » Sat Apr 17, 2021 4:17 am

i love sharin foo wrote:
Thu Apr 15, 2021 3:59 pm
For all things heavy, I am thrilled with this as it sits right now. Still chewing over a few ideas for fine-tuning things for a couple more sounds kicking around in my head. But for now, it'll do. The Fuzzlord FU-2 is amazing. It's one of those sounds that I never thought, "Damn, I NEED that". But you know what.. I really do. It just fucking works. Sometimes a fat, old school tone is what I need, but nasty, tear your face off sounds really fits a lot of what I do. Probably most of it. He did way more than just a straight clone of the Boss unit. I had one of those and this one is a different animal. I :-* the thing. Just got the Frost Giant Massif. It's a nice contrast to the trusty old D*A*M black and gold Meathead. I need more time to compare them, but I think I have a need and place for both on there. The Mu-Tron is the only wah that's ever worked for me. I keep the volume pot nearly cranked and use the second switch as a booster. And it's a damn fine one at that. The Life Pedal can do just about anything and everything. The blendable octave (Tentacle) is amazing. The DM-3 is usually adjusted for shorter times and the Maxon set to longer ones. I am considering swapping out my George L's stuff for something else. I've been using them for almost 20 years though and am pretty heavily invested in them by now, which makes it tough. I like the look of the low profile EBS flat cables but I’d need like $1000 worth to replace all my George L’s.

I bet it is impossible to play that board without having a permanent stank face going. Hit a low drop C and feel the power of Thor at your back. And make sure the amp is pointed towards the sea or the sound is liable to go pillage and plunder entire villages. Or point to the sky to knock the gods from the heavens.

i love sharin foo
Mods
Mods

Post by i love sharin foo » Sat Apr 17, 2021 7:23 pm

CorporateDisguise wrote:
Sat Apr 17, 2021 4:17 am
I bet it is impossible to play that board without having a permanent stank face going. Hit a low drop C and feel the power of Thor at your back. And make sure the amp is pointed towards the sea or the sound is liable to go pillage and plunder entire villages. Or point to the sky to knock the gods from the heavens.

Oh yeah, my SGs are tuned to A and B standard. Between those and my cranked up Orange Overdrive 120, you feel the lowend in your chest. My hearing is starting to suffer by this point in my life though :'( so I am trying to scale down a bit. My tinnitus is pretty bad. Not solely from amps though. The OD120 isn't going anywhere, but I just bought an Orange OR15H for more casual, lower volume use as a result. I'm real excited to get it! I would like to pair it with a little Orange PPC112 cab.

That Fuzzlord FU-2 uses a Baxendall tone stack like older Orange amps, and believe it or not, it is capable of producing more lowend presence than my setup can handle. It's like the first time ever that I can remember where I can't dime the bass control on a pedal. That really struck me... 120 watts through two 4x12s and it's too much. I really had to take some time to get things to sound right with that pedal but it was worth it. I still can't believe how much I like it.

zhivago
Mods
Mods

Post by zhivago » Sat Apr 17, 2021 10:53 pm

This is an insane board, Justin! 8)

Now you got me looking at the Fuzzlord FU-2...I watched a demo online and it sounds really demonic! I have a Zvex Octane 3, which is a Superfuzz variant, and I also have an EQ pedal on my board, so maybe I am already close to the sound...and then the mysterious Mutron Wah that has been a staple on your board for years GAS's me up too!

I am currently jobless so I can't buy any pedals, but once I am back to normal and working I think I will look into the Mutron more closely.

Excellent board, as always...I am saving the picture! 8)
Resident Spartan.

i love sharin foo
Mods
Mods

Post by i love sharin foo » Sun Apr 18, 2021 3:00 pm

zhivago wrote:
Sat Apr 17, 2021 10:53 pm

Now you got me looking at the Fuzzlord FU-2...I watched a demo online and it sounds really demonic! I have a Zvex Octane 3, which is a Superfuzz variant, and I also have an EQ pedal on my board, so maybe I am already close to the sound...and then the mysterious Mutron Wah that has been a staple on your board for years GAS's me up too!

I am currently jobless so I can't buy any pedals, but once I am back to normal and working I think I will look into the Mutron more closely.

Thanks!!

I am still really surprised by the FU-2... There is a ton of range in the controls. Much more than I am used to, to be honest. It seems to be a lot more versatile than the old Boss FZ-2. It's just so crushingly heavy and raw.

This is my second Mu-Tron C-200. I go back a long way with this, huh? Haha. Nothing else sounds close. It doesn't have the huge mid focus that a more normal way has. The sweep is more linear. I would try to describe it as less resonance if that makes any sense. It does exceptionally well with the tunings that I use also. I mainly use the volume function as a boost which it does very well, too.

You saving my picture?! Ha! I remember saving a picture of a board you had with an RV-2, DM-3 and several Zvex pedals like a hundred years ago! It's funny how some things just go full circle... Maxon/ Boss analog delays never get old, those early SHin-Ei octave fuzz, Rats, Fuzz Faces... All these years later I am still using variations on the same theme.

zhivago
Mods
Mods

Post by zhivago » Sun Apr 18, 2021 11:06 pm

i love sharin foo wrote:
Sun Apr 18, 2021 3:00 pm
zhivago wrote:
Sat Apr 17, 2021 10:53 pm

Thanks!!

I am still really surprised by the FU-2... There is a ton of range in the controls. Much more than I am used to, to be honest. It seems to be a lot more versatile than the old Boss FZ-2. It's just so crushingly heavy and raw.

This is my second Mu-Tron C-200. I go back a long way with this, huh? Haha. Nothing else sounds close. It doesn't have the huge mid focus that a more normal way has. The sweep is more linear. I would try to describe it as less resonance if that makes any sense. It does exceptionally well with the tunings that I use also. I mainly use the volume function as a boost which it does very well, too.

You saving my picture?! Ha! I remember saving a picture of a board you had with an RV-2, DM-3 and several Zvex pedals like a hundred years ago! It's funny how some things just go full circle... Maxon/ Boss analog delays never get old, those early SHin-Ei octave fuzz, Rats, Fuzz Faces... All these years later I am still using variations on the same theme.

I am the same...I've gone through quite a few different effects, but in the end I come back to the old faithfuls. I seem to have an emotional connection to effects produced up to the mid 2000s or so...almost like an emotional connection to the bands I grew up listening to. :)
Resident Spartan.

Glumlord
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by Glumlord » Sat May 01, 2021 3:47 pm

State of the board these days. I’ve been on a epic delay journey lately and have become an El Capistan convert. I was resistant for a long time but this pedal sounds absolutely amazing! It has become my go-to delay, set fairly warm, but clean, with a little bit of reverb mixed in. I ended up selling my Volante because it was just too big for my board and I wasn’t using most of the functions on it. I am pleasantly surprised.

Picked up the DD-200 recently. It’s really nice and simple, but I’m not totally sold on it so I think I’m going to rearrange a couple things to put my EchoSystem back on for dual delays and analog delay sounds.

The other new addition is the RevivalTrem. This things is absolutely stunning. The amp and overdrive tones are incredible on their own, adding a really pleasing compression and warmth to my AC30 when the drive knob was set around 10 o’clock. The Tremolo is out of this world. Best bias trem sounds I’ve found in a pedal.

Unicorn Warrior
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Unicorn Warrior » Sat May 01, 2021 9:04 pm

Glumlord wrote:
Sat May 01, 2021 3:47 pm
State of the board these days. I’ve been on a epic delay journey lately and have become an El Capistan convert. I was resistant for a long time but this pedal sounds absolutely amazing! It has become my go-to delay, set fairly warm, but clean, with a little bit of reverb mixed in. I ended up selling my Volante because it was just too big for my board and I wasn’t using most of the functions on it. I am pleasantly surprised.

Picked up the DD-200 recently. It’s really nice and simple, but I’m not totally sold on it so I think I’m going to rearrange a couple things to put my EchoSystem back on for dual delays and analog delay sounds.

The other new addition is the RevivalTrem. This things is absolutely stunning. The amp and overdrive tones are incredible on their own, adding a really pleasing compression and warmth to my AC30 when the drive knob was set around 10 o’clock. The Tremolo is out of this world. Best bias trem sounds I’ve found in a pedal.

Nice. I’ll have to explore this Trem. Looking for something nice

EDIT: just saw the price tag. It’s out of my league for now!