The Guyatone TZ2 the Fuzz octave fuzz

Everyone needs a stompbox.
AWSchmit
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

The Guyatone TZ2 the Fuzz octave fuzz

Post by AWSchmit » Mon Aug 09, 2010 8:39 pm

I just got mine in the mail today and I was blown away. This thing is tiny, my MXR phase 90 is about an inch longer, and a touch wider. I've never seen such a tiny fuzz pedal. But it sounds incredible. Here is the YouTube demo that made me have to buy it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FWMDnhK7g70" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I got mine for 49.99 (on sale) from Musician's Friend. If you are on a budget or have little space left on your pedal board but still need a fuzz, this is the answer. The kicker is, this thing is actually made in Japan. I figured for something this cheap it had to be made in China, but no. As it's on sale at MF that makes me think it's getting disconinued, or maybe MF is just tyring to drum up some sales. Either way I had to share this in case it's gone unoticed. The only down fail to this I've noticed so far is that the jacks are plastic. I wish they weren't. but there may not be room enough for regular metal jacks. I may try to do a demo of it sometime, but the one I have linked does a pretty nice job.
I finally finish building a guitar, go to play it, and then remember, "oh yeah, that's right. I suck at playing... Why did I build another guitar again?"

AWSchmit
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: The Guyatone TZ2 the Fuzz octave fuzz

Post by AWSchmit » Thu Aug 12, 2010 8:03 pm

I had a dream last night that, because I mentioned how awesome this pedal was in two threads, and also mentioned MF's sale, that I was asked to somehow prove that I didn't work for MF or Guyatone. And if I couldn't, I'd be banded from the forum. I woke up (or changed dreams, I don't remember, before it was straightened out.)

Haha.
I finally finish building a guitar, go to play it, and then remember, "oh yeah, that's right. I suck at playing... Why did I build another guitar again?"

NoiseAnnoys
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by NoiseAnnoys » Fri Aug 13, 2010 9:27 am

It's a pretty sweet cheapo-fuzz, but I still prefer the French Toast for the price point, or the Boss FZ-2 for the Superfuzz-esque sounds. The lack of volume past unity just kills me.

AWSchmit
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by AWSchmit » Fri Aug 13, 2010 5:35 pm

That's actually something that is a real plus for me. I'm mainly a bedroom player, so it's nice for me to get my amp at the volume I want it and still be able to get the gnarly sounds out of my pedal without shattering my ears.

NoiseAnnoys
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by NoiseAnnoys » Sat Aug 14, 2010 8:00 am

AWSchmit wrote:That's actually something that is a real plus for me. I'm mainly a bedroom player, so it's nice for me to get my amp at the volume I want it and still be able to get the gnarly sounds out of my pedal without shattering my ears.
That's a fair point.

I think it's a really great Superfuzz-esque pedal, and if that doesn't bother you, it's definitely a good grab. I've used a guyatone in the studio a few times for that very reason. I just couldn't bond with it for live use. As always, strokes and folks. ;D

Paco
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Paco » Thu Jun 10, 2021 3:19 pm

OLD THREAD ALERT!!

So I just got an amazing Guyatone TZ2 and I'm in love with it. I found this old thread talking a little about it but I'm still intrigued. I know this pedal is somewhat of a SuperFuzz clone. Is this germanium on the TZ2? I just put an old Zvex Octane III vs the TZ2 and my ears are still ringing, in the best of ways ::)

Back in 2010, this baby was really cheap, I think current prices are waaaay out of line tho!