general question about pedal bypasses

Everyone needs a stompbox.
MiHu
Expat
Expat

general question about pedal bypasses

Post by MiHu » Sun Oct 15, 2006 2:38 pm

maybe this is a very dumb question:

with digital effects: does the whole guitar signal get digitalised and processed an then reconverted to analog? and: if such a pedal with non-true bypass is switched off, is there any analog-digital conversion?

tremolite
Expat
Expat

Re: general question about pedal bypasses

Post by tremolite » Sun Oct 15, 2006 2:50 pm

As far as I know, at least with respect to digital delay pedals, the dry signal is digitized. At least that's the way Boss DD pedals work. I would assume with the more mainstream pedal manufacturers this is the case, that the dry signal coming into a pedal is digitized rather than simply passing thru to the output unaffected. I think higher end digital pedals, like T-Rex, do not do this A to D then D to A conversion... 
Pedal Pusher

MiHu
Expat
Expat

Post by MiHu » Mon Oct 23, 2006 9:08 am

thanks tremolite! I guess the only thing which is sure is that in non true-bypass pedals  the signal goes through a buffer amp when the effect is off.

I wonder if anybody on this board knows more about whether there is a-d d-a conversion involved?

fuzzjunkie
Expat
Expat

Post by fuzzjunkie » Mon Oct 23, 2006 10:23 am

it depends on the manufacturer, application and price range as far as rackmount units go. I have some units where the signal is passed directly without a/d/a conversion in bypass mod and some that are. most of these units were made to be used in the studio...always on...to bypass you don't send a signal to it, so true bypass would be an unecessary feature. a few were made for guitar rigs, and you'd think those would have true bypass, but most don't :'(

i have one Roland that does and another that doesn't. i think the Yamaha unit does, but I'd have to dig out the manual to be sure. I would expect most of the lexicon, roland and t.c. units in the $200-300 range are not true bypass.
sleeping on a bed of fuzz and feedback