my german modular effects rack...

Everyone needs a stompbox.
mredhot
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: my german modular effects rack...

Post by mredhot » Wed Dec 12, 2007 4:42 pm

dain wrote: gotcha!  on the MS20 there is seperate volumes for the osc, so i didn't think about it.  how about this:  do all of the above but also run a patch from the wheel out into the VCO CV input.  then pull the wheel all the way down.  also make sure your osc is at its lowest octave, it's still active but the pitch is so low it should only show up every minute or so with a click.  if its still bad, turn the osc to pulse (the square wave setting) then turn the PWM selector to its tiniest range.  that should thin out the signal enough.  that's an interesting problem though, i'm wondering if there is another simpler way of doing it.

i just noticed from looking at the pics of the MS10 that you have a control input for PWM which is badass, the MS20 doesn't have it.  you might try a splitter on the wheel output with one going to the OSC CV in and one going to the PWM in.  you might be able to set the pulsewidth so small you couldn't hear the oscillator anymore, something you couldn't do with the PWM knob i bet!

if you figure out how to do it better let me know!  BTW you'll have a lot more fun with that thing when you get some control voltages rocking.  time to hook up some 9 volt adapters to some brass plates and make some touchplates!  it seems they were assuming you'd use the MS10 with other items like their MS03 pitch converter:

http://www.korganalogue.net/korgms/manu ... html#intro
thanks that really helped
i found this http://mysterycircuits.com/melloman/melloman.html online i would like to try it but know absolutely nothing about wiring synthes and switches would you maybe know how to do this

dain
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by dain » Wed Dec 12, 2007 7:52 pm

yea, mike is awesome.  what's funny is he actually isn't an electrical proffesor or anything.  most of his stuff is simple to build it just involves a LOT of repetition.

the melloman is a good example.  in its most simple form it is a keyboard key acting as a connector from the audio output of a walkman to a 1/4 output...easy!  the hard part is rigging up 24 keys to do that.  and that's not even hard its just very boring and gets very disorganized after about the 4th key.

the MS10 is a perfect place to start learning that stuff: 

1  take a 9 volt battery with a clip attached.  strip it to the bare wires. 
2  now strip a 1/4 patch cable to the bare wires and connect one of the two to the black wire of the 9 volt. 
3  now patch the cable into the pitch in of the ms10. 
4  now hold the red wire in one hand and the unconnected wire of the patch cable in the other.  depending on how hard you squeeze the cable you can now make the pitch go up and down.  you can also patch this in to the filter/amplifier/PWM and control it with your body...

that's actually the basis of most of the stuff on mike's site!  there's about a million things you can put inbetween the nine volt battery and the MS10 to make it do pretty much anything...especially if you have a PWM input!

mredhot
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mredhot » Thu Dec 13, 2007 11:35 am

dain wrote: yea, mike is awesome.  what's funny is he actually isn't an electrical proffesor or anything.  most of his stuff is simple to build it just involves a LOT of repetition.

the melloman is a good example.  in its most simple form it is a keyboard key acting as a connector from the audio output of a walkman to a 1/4 output...easy!   the hard part is rigging up 24 keys to do that.  and that's not even hard its just very boring and gets very disorganized after about the 4th key.

the MS10 is a perfect place to start learning that stuff: 

1  take a 9 volt battery with a clip attached.  strip it to the bare wires. 
2  now strip a 1/4 patch cable to the bare wires and connect one of the two to the black wire of the 9 volt.   
3  now patch the cable into the pitch in of the ms10. 
4  now hold the red wire in one hand and the unconnected wire of the patch cable in the other.  depending on how hard you squeeze the cable you can now make the pitch go up and down.  you can also patch this in to the filter/amplifier/PWM and control it with your body...

that's actually the basis of most of the stuff on mike's site!  there's about a million things you can put inbetween the nine volt battery and the MS10 to make it do pretty much anything...especially if you have a PWM input!
YOU ARE GOD, thank you so much, have you ever tried any of the stuff he has done?

mredhot
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mredhot » Sat Dec 15, 2007 9:54 am

what other circuit bending stuff is there to do like that

dain
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by dain » Sat Dec 15, 2007 11:16 am

mredhot wrote:
YOU ARE GOD, thank you so much, have you ever tried any of the stuff he has done?
[/quote]

i'm not god, we just have the same tailor.  i haven't tried much of mike's stuff because i tend to stick to things i can put my guitar in: filters and pedals and stuff.  i do have a nice collection of randomized casios though, oh and i had a really nice robot that i could hook up to the modular, but i blew him up with the new touch plate controller!
mredhot wrote: what other circuit bending stuff is there to do like that
anything can be broken, its just a question of it sounding better than it did at first.  my main thing is control.  if a pedal gives me a knob thats great, but i'd rather have an input where i can send a voltage from something else and have it turning the knob by itself.  that digitech delay was pretty normal by itself, but by hooking up an oscillator to trigger the delay i can make it do things that no normal delay would ever do and that's where i get excited.  also having a sequencer turn a knob for me lets me set up sounds that constantly change and mutate without me making decisions.  i find if i'm turning a knob i do it in almost the same way every time, where as a computer will make wierd decisions i'd never think of.

haesslich
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by haesslich » Sat Dec 15, 2007 11:31 am

dain wrote: if a pedal gives me a knob thats great, but i'd rather have an input where i can send a voltage from something else and have it turning the knob by itself.
you know certainly but : most knobs can be replaced with vacrtols. doepfer offers a "universal vactrol module" for that, but you can build something similar on your own. i have not yet experimented with vactrols but the possibilities seem endless...
hm. there is for sure a way to make some voltage controlled resistor using OTAs, but i am not that good in understanding OTA stuff...

dj_techa
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by dj_techa » Sun Dec 16, 2007 7:57 pm

dain wrote: finally got around to putting some of my effects in modular synth form.  here's a digitech 8 second delay with cv control (basically turning it into a modular sampler) and a mxr microamp all put under faceplates i found while on tour in berlin.  how cool is berlin that you can find modular euroracks just sitting in the garbage?

next to those is a feedback loop circuit, and on the other side is a doepfer midi interface and a pulse divider along with a homemade multi.

here is my first try at touch plate cv controllers (ala buchla).  the touch plates are the brass triangles on the lower left corner of the video game controller.   i plan on filling the right side with more that are more "note based".    The joystick also sends out preset control voltages.  i've been wanting touchplates for a million years so i'm super excited about them, even if they are a little rough.

here's the whole system as it stands right now... pretty messy but eventually i'll build the doepfer/effects stuff and sequencers into a smaller portable rig and be able to leave the house.  i've always wanted a pedal board in rack form and this is turning out to be way more convenient than having a million separate pedals with individual power supplies. 

Hell Yes.
"If you tell on us were gonna tell on you, thats ninja code."