Is a pedal like this available/possible to make?

Everyone needs a stompbox.
Amber
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Is a pedal like this available/possible to make?

Post by Amber » Fri Nov 10, 2006 5:18 am

After reading the Jack o plug/box pedal post. I'm thinking something like what I want is available.

My idea is to have a guitar going to a split signal. One signal goes to a big muff to an amp, the other signal goes to a pedal that creates a useful feedback going into an amp. Almost like using the other signal amp to create like a singing feedback pad.

Is there anything that could give me this effect? Then I could blend in how much of the feedback pad sounds I wanted and even switch them off. I think I could do it with a looper of some sort but they cost a lost and I think maybe I could make one myself

mynameisjonas
Admin
Admin

Re: Is a pedal like this available/possible to make?

Post by mynameisjonas » Fri Nov 10, 2006 6:16 am

i´m not sure i understand exactly what you mean with the feedback thing, but it sounds interesting. as long as you´re able to figure out the paths you want the signals to travel, you should probably be able to build it yourself.
could you maybe draw a picture of how you want it to work?

aen
Expat
Expat

Post by aen » Fri Nov 10, 2006 8:01 am

Essentially you would want 2 AB boxes

guitar--->AB1------>muff/amp
                V
              AB2 --------->amp 

AB2 has one output run back into one input, creating the feedback loop.  I guess AB2 would be the trick, because it needs 2 inputs and 2 outputs, dang, i thought i was a genius for a second....  but anyway, you leave AB2 set to BOTH, so as to make the racket.

with AB1 you can run just the muff, just the feedback, or both.

I think Effector 13 makes a pretty fancy feedback looping pedal.
I prefer their older stuff.

Amber
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Amber » Fri Nov 10, 2006 9:17 am

The sound I'm trying to explain is like this.

The track 'Soon' from Loveless. If you listen to the chords to the heavier bit, there is like a 3 octave up note(s) to the chords. You can ever hear the note bends when the chords do. It's the bit where the vocals come in. Now, it sounds like one big open chord and probably in the recording it may have been doubled and the higher notes EQd to stand out on the double. Maybe I need to split a signal to boost some sort of useable high eq feedback sound. I'm gonna try and see if I can achieve it in Guitar Rig.

I don't want it to be noise. I want it to be almost as if a synthy sounding guitar is playing the same note (well bass note or fifth or 9th) as the heavy guitar.

what is the Boss Feedback pedal like?

aen
Expat
Expat

Post by aen » Fri Nov 10, 2006 11:02 am

I haven't heard the track in question, but it sounds like your'e after an Ebow.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/ ... sku=219005

It's all over the place, David Bowie, Nine inch Nails, Radiohead... I think ole Bob fripp rocked an ebow as well.
I prefer their older stuff.

mezcalhead
Admin
Admin

Post by mezcalhead » Fri Nov 10, 2006 12:26 pm

Amber wrote: I want it to be almost as if a synthy sounding guitar is playing the same note (well bass note or fifth or 9th) as the heavy guitar.
Sounds like a job for the Whammy, or maybe a POG? I don't know much about POGs/HOGs, but a whammy will definitely give you another note at a set interval.

If you do want it to be harmonizing, then just splitting the signal and running another to a feedback loop probably isn't going to do that. With the split/feedback loop you would certainly get some cool noise around the same note, and maybe with the weirder settings on a Fuzz Factory you wouldn't even need the feedback loop.

An ebow would work too, but you'd need a second guitar track or guitarist rather than as an added effect over your main rhythm track.
Last edited by mezcalhead on Fri Nov 10, 2006 12:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Distance-crunching honcho with echo unit.

fuzzjunkie
Expat
Expat

Post by fuzzjunkie » Fri Nov 10, 2006 12:39 pm

Kevin used the Whammy pedal for octave pitchshifts from what I understand...I've also heard people mention the Fender Blender and I used to have a live picture of him with his pedals and a Roger Mayer octave pedal was in the string...the rocket ship shaped one.

...so, you don't really need a feedback loop...the eBow only works a string at a time, it's the Fernandes Sustainer that feedbacks all the strings, but it can give a synthy string pad sound...especially if you shift them up.

i use a loop with a Big Muff into a Lovetone Ring Stinger, which is a ring modulator, the Muff is set sustain full on, but the volume and tone are set down, so it sounds like I'm playing feedback, even though I'm not, and on all strings...heck, it almost plays itself!
sleeping on a bed of fuzz and feedback

glimmertwin
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by glimmertwin » Tue Nov 14, 2006 10:58 pm

Sounds like you could tackle this a couple ways....guitar into signal splitter - one side going into Big Muff, the other going into one of those feedback looping pedals with somesort of modulation pedal attached.  Then take the out of that pedal through a volume pedal and back into your amp.  That way you have this cacophany feeding back that you can control with an expression pedal.  Sounds easy to me.  As for a feedback looper, try this one...
http://guitargeek.com/reviews/dba_total_sonic.php

...it's also not too hard to build one yourself.  Do a search for Death By Audio/Total Sonic Annihilator in this forum.  I recall someone posted a layout in their gallary section but I can't find it right now....
http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/

I actually get some cool droney distortion by doing the spare guitar tuned to an open chord leaning against the amp and sending that to another smaller amp(like a Champ) or into the second channel of your present amp and running a volume between guitar and amp.

ANOTHER cool trick - though not what you asked for, is to place an open tuned guitar into a baby grand and run the guitar through a POG.  Then you get all these droney harmonics going that you can play like an organ with the POG's sliders.  I'll bang some chords with my right hand and play the swells on the POG with my left hand.  Instant pad like noise track.  Viola!
"I enjoy the current state of offsetguitars hostility."

glimmertwin
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by glimmertwin » Tue Nov 14, 2006 11:00 pm

Oh ya, I also think I recall someone once mentioning Ira Kaplan of Yo La Tengo hangs a mic over an onstage amp to get feedback squeal and just plays it with a volume pedal.  Maybe it wasn't him...my memory fails me far too much...
"I enjoy the current state of offsetguitars hostility."