Songs that you remember fondly, but are afraid to revisit now.

Favorite new record? Favorite old record? Got a band? Post it here.
JSett
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Songs that you remember fondly, but are afraid to revisit now.

Post by JSett » Tue Jan 25, 2022 9:55 am

I can't think of anything in particular and in relation to myself but I've noticed that a LOT of 25-35 year old aging female emokids are starting to realise how fucking horrific most of the lyrics to their old favourite songs were. Lots and lots of rapey, slut-shaming and anti-women stuff going on between 2001-2008
Silly Rabbit, don't you know scooped mids are for kids?

sal paradise
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by sal paradise » Tue Jan 25, 2022 10:05 am

johnnysomersett wrote:
Tue Jan 25, 2022 9:55 am
I can't think of anything in particular and in relation to myself but I've noticed that a LOT of 25-35 year old aging female emokids are starting to realise how fucking horrific most of the lyrics to their old favourite songs were. Lots and lots of rapey, slut-shaming and anti-women stuff going on between 2001-2008
Brand New’s first album. well, anything by Brand New these days after Lacey’s well-known filandering turned out to include under 18s.

Flyte’s latest album seems to be a weirdly sexist dig at an ex, as well as slagging off their bass player quite obviously. I thought they seemed like nicer chaps. Shame cos the music is good.
I have nothing to offer anybody, except my own confusion?

s_mcsleazy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by s_mcsleazy » Tue Jan 25, 2022 11:25 am

johnnysomersett wrote:
Yeah. That's one thing I've noticed about going back to a lot of that stuff with friends. There is soo much problematic shit and a few bands (brand new, lost prophets, blood on the dance floor) we refuse to go back to for the obvious reasons.

I think there was a Memphis may fire song that's lyrics were basically boiled down to "don't be a whore, find Jesus" and thinking "that wouldn't fly today, I mean it barely flew back then imho, the standards were just different.
offset guitars resident bass player.
'Are you trying to seduce me Mrs Robinson? Or do you just want me to solder a couple of resistors into your Muff?'

JSett
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JSett » Tue Jan 25, 2022 11:43 am

s_mcsleazy wrote:
Tue Jan 25, 2022 11:25 am
johnnysomersett wrote:
Yeah. That's one thing I've noticed about going back to a lot of that stuff with friends. There is soo much problematic shit and a few bands (brand new, lost prophets, blood on the dance floor) we refuse to go back to for the obvious reasons.

I think there was a Memphis may fire song that's lyrics were basically boiled down to "don't be a whore, find Jesus" and thinking "that wouldn't fly today, I mean it barely flew back then imho, the standards were just different.
There's that one Brand New one often brought up which is straight-up about date rape. Mad stuff in this age.

I'm lucky that, being that teeny bit older, 'my' emo is the 96-2000 era where it was less savage towards other people and more about being a wee bit sad, as well as an angry punk :D
Silly Rabbit, don't you know scooped mids are for kids?

sal paradise
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by sal paradise » Tue Jan 25, 2022 11:49 am

johnnysomersett wrote:
Tue Jan 25, 2022 11:43 am
s_mcsleazy wrote:
Tue Jan 25, 2022 11:25 am
johnnysomersett wrote:

There's that one Brand New one often brought up which is straight-up about date rape. Mad stuff in this age.

I'm lucky that, being that teeny bit older, 'my' emo is the 96-2000 era where it was less savage towards other people and more about being a wee bit sad, as well as an angry punk :D
Everything got a bit Christian with Jets to Brazil etc. Wood/Water by Promise ring was a stone cold sad emo boy classic. Although that was probably later than 00? It all merges into one.

Guttermouth- there’s a band I can’t believe I owned & listened to albums of theirs 😞
I have nothing to offer anybody, except my own confusion?

shoule79
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shoule79 » Tue Jan 25, 2022 7:53 pm

Tough topic because I took most of covid to revisit my old cds and even fill in my collection from my youth (90’s). Some stuff held up better than I would have thought, some was pretty cringe.

Going to pick a ballad and go with Red by Treble Charger.

It came out when I was in grade 10 and I was hooked from the get go. Cool indie music that actually got played at high school dances, lol. The album itself was so-so, some gems, some crap, but this track was a standout. Liked the guitar playing, saw them live a bunch of times, covered this song in bands, the whole bit.

The EP that followed this album was all killer, and it usually gets played a couple times a year.. They re-recorded Red on their major label debut, and it didn’t sound as good. I don’t even think I have that album anymore. They later went pop punk… and we don’t speak of that. Haven’t listened to it in at least a decade.

shoule79
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shoule79 » Tue Jan 25, 2022 8:13 pm

johnnysomersett wrote:
I left that genre behind around 01 or 02 for that very reason. I was into all the 90’s stuff like Sunny Day, Texas is the Reason, The Jade Tree, BWR, Crank, and Deep Elm Stuff. The change in tone got really apparent after Taking Back Sunday and Brand New hit the scene. The pop punk kids who were starting to outgrow Blink 182 seemed to glom onto that scene. I’ve still caught The Get up Kids every time the reunion tours have hit Toronto though.