Has Dinosaur Jr turned down?

Favorite new record? Favorite old record? Got a band? Post it here.
Pepe Silvia
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Has Dinosaur Jr turned down?

Post by Pepe Silvia » Sat Dec 03, 2022 7:16 am

Saw Dinosaur Jr in Philly last night. It's been probably 12 years since I saw them last. The previous time was at Terminal 5 and they were painfully loud. Before that was outdoors but I stood right in front of J and only heard his amps the whole time.

Last night people kept yelling louder so Lou turned up. Standing near the sound guy I could barely hear J's guitar. Lou was so much louder than J.

I watched a video from this tour from Berlin and the person was standing right in front of J but were recording the whole mix, which was not possible before.

Anyone have a recent experience when they were still loud?

Trout
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Has Dinosaur Jr turned down?

Post by Trout » Sat Dec 03, 2022 9:30 am

I think perhaps you’ve become old :whistle: :w00t:
#sitdownrock at https://staffanandersson.bandcamp.com/album/det-hemliga-namnet

Pepe Silvia
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Pepe Silvia » Sat Dec 03, 2022 10:32 am

Trout wrote:
Sat Dec 03, 2022 9:30 am
I think perhaps you’ve become old :whistle: :w00t:
What do you mean? I want them louder! Or are you saying I'm losing my hearing?

PorkyPrimeCut
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by PorkyPrimeCut » Sat Dec 03, 2022 11:23 am

Thanks for this.

I still can't answer the OP's question but have spent the last hour looking through live clips.

:)
You think you can't, you wish you could, I know you can, I wish you would. Slip inside this house as you pass by.

Chippertheripper
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Chippertheripper » Sat Dec 03, 2022 12:19 pm

I went to the Holyoke show last weekend, and I’m glad I had earplugs. I can’t say if it was louder or not than prior, but there were a couple of kids right in front of me at the railing to the stage, and they were covering their ears by the end of it.
I did take em out a couple times just to feel what they were feeling, and the contrast, vs having plugs in, made everything sound like total mush with them out. Lots of extra transient highs floating around the room, not great.
Otherwise, they sounded great. I’m 99% sure j had one of the 59’s with him, as it was definitely his hometown show, and he sounded best on that purple thinline tele, imo.

I put this in the pickup thread, but my post here brings a little more context.

ctu
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by ctu » Sat Dec 03, 2022 12:23 pm

Concerts in general became much quieter mostly due to regulations. Depends on the country, location, type of venue, but in general I noticed this trend especially last 10 years. Except MBV, the last time I watched them was excruciating (in a good way of course), but it is quite possible Dino turned the volume down a bit.

Pepe Silvia
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Pepe Silvia » Sat Dec 03, 2022 2:06 pm

Chippertheripper wrote:
Sat Dec 03, 2022 12:19 pm
I went to the Holyoke show last weekend, and I’m glad I had earplugs. I can’t say if it was louder or not than prior, but there were a couple of kids right in front of me at the railing to the stage, and they were covering their ears by the end of it.
I did take em out a couple times just to feel what they were feeling, and the contrast, vs having plugs in, made everything sound like total mush with them out. Lots of extra transient highs floating around the room, not great.
Otherwise, they sounded great. I’m 99% sure j had one of the 59’s with him, as it was definitely his hometown show, and he sounded best on that purple thinline tele, imo.

I put this in the pickup thread, but my post here brings a little more context.
Your experience sounds like what I was expecting. It must have just been the venue.

Did J play his purple Japanese signature JM? It looked like he had a purple pickup cover on the neck pickup and something chrome in the bridge position, trying to figure out what that was. He played it for Going Down

s_mcsleazy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by s_mcsleazy » Sat Dec 03, 2022 4:08 pm

thank fuck. i seen dinosaur jr. in glasgow a few times and J has overpowered the mix EVERY SINGLE TIME. i could feel the drums, i couldn't hear them and lou was always just lost in the mix.

i think the best example was when built to spill opened for dinosaur jr. you'd think 3 guitars, bass, drums and vocals would be way harder to mix for but everything was perfect. then dinosaur jr came on and j was just loud and overpowered the mix.
offset guitars resident bass player.
'Are you trying to seduce me Mrs Robinson? Or do you just want me to solder a couple of resistors into your Muff?'

Chippertheripper
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Chippertheripper » Sat Dec 03, 2022 5:39 pm

Pepe Silvia wrote:
Sat Dec 03, 2022 2:06 pm

Your experience sounds like what I was expecting. It must have just been the venue.

Did J play his purple Japanese signature JM? It looked like he had a purple pickup cover on the neck pickup and something chrome in the bridge position, trying to figure out what that was. He played it for Going Down
He did. That purple jm (which I’ve always thought of as the fun one, with the colorful knobs and covers), what I think was one of the 59’s from the recent collection videos, and the purple thinline.
The tele was the best sounding, noticeably.