The non-stoner stoner/sludge/doom/psyche thread

Favorite new record? Favorite old record? Got a band? Post it here.
wingnutkj
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: The non-stoner stoner/sludge/doom/psyche thread

Post by wingnutkj » Thu Apr 06, 2017 5:25 am

shadowplay wrote:
shadowplay wrote: Oh an Btw for more heavy Psyche which strays into Gnod territory at times check out this record by Dead Sea Apes; Spectral Domain

D
The new Dead Sea Apes record is really pretty good if moving away from any sort of psyche heavy fuzzage and into PiL reminiscent abandoned foundry dub. The blurb mentions early Cabaret Voltaire and I can see where they are coming from.

Dead Sea Apes - Sixth Side Of The Pentagon

D
Cheers David - I've bought the new one, which fits nicely with some of the other stuff I've been listening to of late (I finally watched early '90s cyberpunk-with-Lemmy-and-Iggy movie Hardware, which resulted in me listening to PIL's "The Order of Death" from the soundtrack on a loop).
Kenny

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Thu Apr 06, 2017 5:54 am

^^^

I really like it. I guess it fits in well with the theme of this thread if not the actual sound since it's well divested from the typical white men with an echodek thing, being more paranoid, hollowed out, limping and broken, than dudes smokin the ganja side of things. It might be a bass and drums dominated record but I think its got their best guitar work on it, even though it's a bit more rationed.

The guy who does their sleeves has done some for Wolf People.

D
Are you loathsome tonight?

wingnutkj
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by wingnutkj » Sat May 06, 2017 3:36 am

shadowplay wrote:Lamagaia(12' in Cardinal Fuzz) I spy with my psychedelic eye... long form and pummelling mid period LOOP style hallucinatory repetitionrepetitionrepetitionrepetitionrepetitionrepetitionrepetitionrepetitionrepetitionrepetitionrepetitionrepetitionrepetitionrepetitionrepetitionrepetitionrepetitionrepetitionrepetitionrepetitionrepetitionrepetitionrepetitionrepetitionrepetitionrepetition. Also made me think of Magnog for some reason or other.

D
wingnutkj wrote:Thanks David, I can quite easily imagine them playing in Nice N Sleazy's basement with my showbiz chums the Cosmic Dead.
Ha!
Kenny

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Wed Oct 04, 2017 3:10 am

VERY far from stonerdude buffoonery is the new Myrkur album Mareridt.

The chugga chugga mountain is something I increasingly struggle to get my crampons up but even putting that to one side, the new Myrkur album Mareridt is a pretty ambitious, remarkable and often both terrifying and beautiful, like getting on the wrong end of a Bengal tiger.

Roves all over the map sliding from metal drang, to neo classical, to forest folk chants, to blackened Nadja 'gaze and her voice is pretty versatile too; sweeping effortlessly from honeyed angel chorus, to sulphurous gurgling demon, to pine scented forest folk queen. Her general tone is very much in the same family as Susanna Wallumrød and Jenny Hval and right up my street.

MYRKUR - Ulvinde (Official Music Video)which is a forest folk lament, obsidian doom and heart swelling anthem all at once but I'm personally more into the less genre tracks.

Whole thing on her Bandcamp; Myrkur - Mareridt (Deluxe Version) The 2X12 itself is pretty fancily packaged

D

wingnutkj
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by wingnutkj » Mon Oct 09, 2017 2:17 am

Thanks David, I've seen a few videos of her doing her more folky stuff, so I gave the full album a listen to it. A couple of the more out-and-out black metal bits set my teeth on edge (which is my problem with a lot of the BM I've tried to like - Wolves in the Throne Room, for example), but on the whole I'm enjoying it.
Kenny

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Mon Oct 09, 2017 5:41 am

^^^

Aye I can't really be bothered with the black metal bits either and push them to the side of my plate. There's a good single album in there, I love songs like The Crown and the title track but I'd ideally like to get the jetwasher out to any hints of metal. You know it is what it is, obviously she's into it and I guess it opens her to an audience but I'd like to see her double down on the dread but look for weight outside metal formulas.

D

sumlin
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by sumlin » Mon Oct 09, 2017 6:05 am

Excuse the self-promo but some of you might like this:

http://kogumaza.bandcamp.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

(No offsets though)

Grey
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Grey » Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:14 am

Has anyone mentioned Elder? Their most recent albums are more into heavy psychadelic rock and their earlier stuff is more sludge/stoner influenced.

https://beholdtheelder.bandcamp.com/track/spires-burn" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

https://beholdtheelder.bandcamp.com/track/gemini-2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

budda12ax7
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by budda12ax7 » Sun Oct 15, 2017 12:41 pm

Yes I think Elder was mentioned....their last two cd's are epic. Every time I listen I find new guitar bits I did not hear.

wingnutkj
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by wingnutkj » Fri Oct 20, 2017 4:16 am

I quite like some Elder, but I find that similar to Baroness, it's the aspects of stuff that's more akin to traditional metal (the lovely melodic soloing and all that) which doesn't interest me so much.

It's been a very doomy week for me - I got my vinyl copies of the new Myrkur and Chelsea Wolfe albums, and on Wednesday night Church of Misery played in Glasgow, with local synth-sludgers Skeleton Gong in support. I had a great time - Church of Misery are a Japanese doom band who whose songs are based around insanely groovy big riffs and pretty much all about serial killers or mass-murderers.

In sadder news, Beastwars have announced that singer Matt is suffering from non-Hodgkin's lymphoma and is undergoing treatement. Hopefully he'll beat it.
Kenny

wingnutkj
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by wingnutkj » Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:40 am

sumlin wrote:
Mon Oct 09, 2017 6:05 am

(No offsets though)
Meant to say, before the site went down, that I think I saw you guys in Glasgow with the Cosmic Dead, many years ago.
Kenny

InLimbo
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by InLimbo » Tue Oct 24, 2017 5:10 am

I think The Cosmic Dead would fit nicely in here. Probably a bit closer to the psyche end of the spectrum, but there's definitely some hints of the sludge.

Halfway decent video for The Spaceman

budda12ax7
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by budda12ax7 » Tue Oct 24, 2017 7:58 pm

This is pretty cool....psych prog stoner.....great for those long drives to work or the local legal dispensary.

wingnutkj
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by wingnutkj » Wed Oct 25, 2017 12:59 am

InLimbo wrote:
Tue Oct 24, 2017 5:10 am
I think The Cosmic Dead would fit nicely in here. Probably a bit closer to the psyche end of the spectrum, but there's definitely some hints of the sludge.

Halfway decent video for The Spaceman
Love me some Cosmic Dead! It's worth mentioning that some of the side-projects a couple of the band members have been involved with are/were more heavy than their Cosmic Dead stuff:

Omar is in Dead Otter and is/was (not sure) lead singer/guitarist of Low Sonic Drift.

James has done just an absolute ton of other bands and one-off things with various people, some with dafter names than others. Skullwizard, for example.

(not as heavy, but in the interest of completeness):
Lewis is half of Happy Meals, who are mentioned reasonably frequently elsewhere on this forum.

Julian draws stuff as Moonshake Design - his most recent high-profile thing was a poster for Goat's gig in London over the summer..
Kenny

sumlin
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by sumlin » Wed Oct 25, 2017 4:48 am

wingnutkj wrote:
Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:40 am
sumlin wrote:
Mon Oct 09, 2017 6:05 am

(No offsets though)
Meant to say, before the site went down, that I think I saw you guys in Glasgow with the Cosmic Dead, many years ago.
In the basement of the 13th Note? I think the Cosmic Dead lad blew one of our Twin Reverbs that night, which was nice.