Broadcast, retrofuturist pop & hauntological pop; megaguide.

Favorite new record? Favorite old record? Got a band? Post it here.
s_mcsleazy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Broadcast, retrofuturist pop & hauntological pop; megaguide.

Post by s_mcsleazy » Wed Jul 29, 2020 5:13 am

ive never even heard of adlestrop but that packaging makes me wanna check em out
offset guitars resident bass player.
'Are you trying to seduce me Mrs Robinson? Or do you just want me to solder a couple of resistors into your Muff?'

PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by 46346 » Mon Aug 10, 2020 7:19 pm

what a fantastic thread! i'm actually overwhelmed... but have enjoyed dropping in on a few of the artists mentioned.
y'all are doing a great service to these artists, as reading your insightful words about them, well, what can i say, i have come to trust much of the taste of my sisters and brothers of OSG, even when there's nary a Jazzmaster on a given track.

Jane Weaver:

one of the artists mentioned that i already adore is Jane Weaver. i met Jane a very long time ago when i caught the band Kill Laura in the UK. we may have even played the same night, i can't quite recall, it was the 90's, and it was all very dreamy...
i actually was unaware of her solo work, until i started working with Malcolm Mooney (of CAN) in 2016, during rehearsals for a live show here in L.A., i had asked Mal what he's been up to, and one thing he mentioned was the track for Jane. her name had rung only the vaguest of bells for me at the time, but i followed up on it upon hearing the release of Modern Kosmology some months later. this was right up a certain alley of mine from the start, i was blown away by the lush, sophisticated, and very smart sound that was coming from the cool girl i had met in a fellow, not-so-sophisticated indie band long ago.

it's great to see *some* of us evolving :D yeah, i've gotten a lot better too, but Jane has really got something going!
Cat Museum, ACME, Malcolm Mooney, Dream Apes, The Cooling Time, Kind Hearts and Coronets, Quarks

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Tue Aug 11, 2020 9:12 pm

46346 wrote:
Mon Aug 10, 2020 7:19 pm
what a fantastic thread! i'm actually overwhelmed... but have enjoyed dropping in on a few of the artists mentioned.
y'all are doing a great service to these artists, as reading your insightful words about them, well, what can i say, i have come to trust much of the taste of my sisters and brothers of OSG, even when there's nary a Jazzmaster on a given track.

Jane Weaver:

one of the artists mentioned that i already adore is Jane Weaver. i met Jane a very long time ago when i caught the band Kill Laura in the UK. we may have even played the same night, i can't quite recall, it was the 90's, and it was all very dreamy...
i actually was unaware of her solo work, until i started working with Malcolm Mooney (of CAN) in 2016, during rehearsals for a live show here in L.A., i had asked Mal what he's been up to, and one thing he mentioned was the track for Jane. her name had rung only the vaguest of bells for me at the time, but i followed up on it upon hearing the release of Modern Kosmology some months later. this was right up a certain alley of mine from the start, i was blown away by the lush, sophisticated, and very smart sound that was coming from the cool girl i had met in a fellow, not-so-sophisticated indie band long ago.

it's great to see *some* of us evolving :D yeah, i've gotten a lot better too, but Jane has really got something going!
Thanks for taking the time to write that and share your anecdote, it’s very much appreciated. It has indeed been a huge leap in quality and interest from Jane ever since the Fallen By Watchbird elpee her music has been coming on in leaps and bounds. I’m also delighted that she’s carving an audience, as she’s one of the good guys, genuinely charming and down to earth.

I really need to do a thread update.

D
Are you loathsome tonight?

Jaguar018
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Jaguar018 » Wed Aug 12, 2020 6:03 am

Yes. An update would be nice. :ph34r:

My copy of Adlestrop arrived yesterday. I'm enjoying it.

For better or worse, I follow Galaxy Electric on various social media, so I get regular emails and facebook updates. It looks like they are working on an album... but they have a Kickstarter for putting it on reel-to-reel tapes. :wtf: I mean, I get that resuscitating cassette tapes has been sort of cool and twee for the past decade, but reel-to-reel??!!? :squint:

PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by 46346 » Thu Aug 13, 2020 12:49 am

Jaguar018 wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 6:03 am
For better or worse, I follow Galaxy Electric on various social media, so I get regular emails and facebook updates. It looks like they are working on an album... but they have a Kickstarter for putting it on reel-to-reel tapes. :wtf: I mean, I get that resuscitating cassette tapes has been sort of cool and twee for the past decade, but reel-to-reel??!!? :squint:

well, now... i may have to nibble at this one. i recently restored my old Quad receiver and the Teac 4-track that suits it nicely.
i haven't worked in months, why not one more rabbit hole?
Cat Museum, ACME, Malcolm Mooney, Dream Apes, The Cooling Time, Kind Hearts and Coronets, Quarks

PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by 46346 » Thu Aug 13, 2020 1:00 am

rad. i haven't yet worked my way back to Watchbird yet, but i'm aware of it. Kosmology, Silver Globe, and Amber Light are wonderful. makes me feel i should quit my bands and paying gigs and just make my own record with this kind of forward vision. impressive!

shadowplay wrote:
Tue Aug 11, 2020 9:12 pm

Thanks for taking the time to write that and share your anecdote, it’s very much appreciated. It has indeed been a huge leap in quality and interest from Jane ever since the Fallen By Watchbird elpee her music has been coming on in leaps and bounds. I’m also delighted that she’s carving an audience, as she’s one of the good guys, genuinely charming and down to earth.

I really need to do a thread update.

D

Jaguar018
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Jaguar018 » Wed Aug 19, 2020 6:25 am

I'm going to put this new song by thenotwist here. It is sort of a pastiche of sounds to me. They have a guest Japanese singer and it has a spacy, interesting vibe. (Though the drums kind of sound like the War song "Lowrider" :unsure: )

Listening to the other stuff by the band, it veers into Radiohead territory for me, which I have mixed feelings about, but I still really like this song.

MazzyJaster
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by MazzyJaster » Wed Aug 19, 2020 3:35 pm

Thanks for the interesting thread!

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Tue Sep 01, 2020 2:46 am

Jon Brooks - Applied Music: Land & Sea just up for pre

Also in on the very promising Richard Norris 'Elements.'

I've been collecting the seven inch lathe series on Russian Library which I've enjoyed. Packaging is very background of Berberian Sound studio.

Bernard Grancher - Soleil Gris Eclatan vinyl on the most reliable Castles in Space

Also on Castles in Space and a must for BOC fans is ;clocolan - It's Not Too Early For Each Other

Visage Pâle - Holistic Love

Field Lines Cartographer - The Spectral Isle

and of course the new Belbury Poly eplee - The Gone Away.

An interesting aside from one of the thread family is preternatural-investigations an excellent podcast by Sharron Kraus

D

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Tue Sep 15, 2020 9:53 pm

Posting here due to some relevant material;

The unforgettable pyre: How The Wicker Man changed the face of horror

D

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Thu Oct 01, 2020 2:35 am

OK...guessing... one for Jaguar018, Nanamour, Ulrich and Nick D...Trees Speak.

Two elpees out and a few stray sevens and a new one with limpet like seven inch attached.

Tasting notes; Can, Neu, Ashra, Tangerine Dream, E.M.A.K, Harmonia, Goblin, Cluster, Eat Lights Become Lights, Lay Llamas, Cavern of Anti-matter, Ghost Box, Deep Distance, Library music...plus a bit of post punk feel with tracks reminiscent of Durutti Column or cough medicine and a skronky feel to some track which despite the write ups opinion that it's 'no wave' I personally feel it's got more of an NDW feel.

So first eponymous elpee is out of print and you're probably going to have to don you most deep pocketed corduroys if you want it. Sample video - Trees Speak - Spirit Oscillator and full ]youtoob playlist.

Trees Speak - Ohm is still available and here's a full album yootoob playlist.

and new one Shadow Forms is up for pre order with the seven I mentioned

D

Jaguar018
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Jaguar018 » Sun Oct 04, 2020 7:02 pm

I’m in!

This is the most expensive discussion thread I’ve ever been on. :w00t: :w00t: :bored:

NickD
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by NickD » Tue Oct 06, 2020 2:47 pm

Jaguar018 wrote:
Sun Oct 04, 2020 7:02 pm
I’m in!

This is the most expensive discussion thread I’ve ever been on. :w00t: :w00t: :bored:
Ditto! A few added for purchase tomorrow.

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Wed Oct 07, 2020 1:39 am

NickD wrote:
Tue Oct 06, 2020 2:47 pm
Jaguar018 wrote:
Sun Oct 04, 2020 7:02 pm
I’m in!

Ditto! A few added for purchase tomorrow.

Nice! I really like Trees Speak and it's good to hear you are both in on it. Soul Jazz are very cool with the pricing too, £20 for a 12" plus 7" is very fair.

D

NickD
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by NickD » Wed Oct 07, 2020 5:59 am

Yeah, their pricing is always sensible - the last thing I bought from them was a 3x12” plus 7“ and it Was only about £25