Broadcast, retrofuturist pop & hauntological pop; megaguide.

Favorite new record? Favorite old record? Got a band? Post it here.
User avatar
Jaguar018
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 7397
Joined: Thu Nov 06, 2008 6:48 am
Location: Burbs of Washington DC

Re: Broadcast, retrofuturist pop & hauntological pop; megaguide.

Post by Jaguar018 » Fri Mar 13, 2020 12:35 pm

shadowplay wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 5:35 am
Still copies of the spring fresh new Jon Brooks on Claypipe, I was in early and thought she'd put her prices up but it seems I'd bought an elpee/tape bundle.
MIne is ordered. I think they also offer just the record?

User avatar
sammynb
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 1819
Joined: Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:15 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: Broadcast, retrofuturist pop & hauntological pop; megaguide.

Post by sammynb » Sun Mar 15, 2020 3:32 am

For some reason the email went to my junk mail and I missed the new Jon Brooks, not happy.

User avatar
NickD
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 2256
Joined: Sat Oct 07, 2006 11:39 am

Re: Broadcast, retrofuturist pop & hauntological pop; megaguide.

Post by NickD » Sun Mar 15, 2020 9:25 am

sammynb wrote:
Sun Mar 15, 2020 3:32 am
For some reason the email went to my junk mail and I missed the new Jon Brooks, not happy.
Same here >:( . There is going to be a repress though, apparently.

User avatar
shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 25891
Joined: Thu Sep 27, 2007 4:30 am
Location: Glasgow. Scotland
Contact:

Re: Broadcast, retrofuturist pop & hauntological pop; megaguide.

Post by shadowplay » Sun Mar 15, 2020 9:58 am

NickD wrote:
Sun Mar 15, 2020 9:25 am
sammynb wrote:
Sun Mar 15, 2020 3:32 am
For some reason the email went to my junk mail and I missed the new Jon Brooks, not happy.
Same here >:( . There is going to be a repress though, apparently.
Juno have it listed, if you sign up and ask for a notification and are quick on the click you might have a chance of grabbing one.

D
Are you loathsome tonight?

User avatar
NickD
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 2256
Joined: Sat Oct 07, 2006 11:39 am

Re: Broadcast, retrofuturist pop & hauntological pop; megaguide.

Post by NickD » Sun Mar 15, 2020 12:11 pm

shadowplay wrote:
Sun Mar 15, 2020 9:58 am
NickD wrote:
Sun Mar 15, 2020 9:25 am
sammynb wrote:
Sun Mar 15, 2020 3:32 am
For some reason the email went to my junk mail and I missed the new Jon Brooks, not happy.
Same here >:( . There is going to be a repress though, apparently.
Juno have it listed, if you sign up and ask for a notification and are quick on the click you might have a chance of grabbing one.

D
That’s exactly what I did when I saw I’d missed it, I’ll see how that goes.


User avatar
shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 25891
Joined: Thu Sep 27, 2007 4:30 am
Location: Glasgow. Scotland
Contact:

Re: Broadcast, retrofuturist pop & hauntological pop; megaguide.

Post by shadowplay » Fri May 08, 2020 5:22 am

There's also a digital only Ghost Box compilation called Intermission out today with all proceeds going to Mediciens Sans Frontiers. (if you buy it via the GB greedbag) Cheap as chips at 44p a track!
Various Artists -
Featuring:
The Advisory Circle, Beautify Junkyards, Belbury Poly, The Focus Group, The Hardy Tree, Justin Hopper, Sharron Kraus, Plone, Pye Corner Audio, ToiToiToi, Roj

A compilation of entirely new work from regular members of the Ghost Box roster and some special guests. It combines preview tracks from forthcoming releases and material especially recorded for the compilation during the global lockdown. Ghost Box releases never have much to say about quotidian reality but these responses to the situation have seeped through from the Intermission in the universe next door.

The version available here in the Ghost Box shop has slightly variant artwork and all of the proceeds will go to Médecins Sans Frontières (www.msf.org). You can choose between supporting a charity by buying right here in the Ghost Box shop or supporting the musicians via all other commercial downloads and streams.
D
Are you loathsome tonight?

User avatar
Jaguar018
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 7397
Joined: Thu Nov 06, 2008 6:48 am
Location: Burbs of Washington DC

Re: Broadcast, retrofuturist pop & hauntological pop; megaguide.

Post by Jaguar018 » Sun May 10, 2020 5:24 am

^purchased! Now I just need some time to listen to it. :squint:

User avatar
UlricvonCatalyst
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 6348
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 4:05 am
Location: Glasgow, Scotland

Re: Broadcast, retrofuturist pop & hauntological pop; megaguide.

Post by UlricvonCatalyst » Sat May 16, 2020 1:36 pm

Never mind Jon Brooks; that In Fabric soundtrack was out and sold out quicker than it takes to say Cavern of Anti-Matter. And apparently straight onto eBay/Discogs at a handsome profit. Guess who didn't manage to snag a reasonably priced copy. :(

User avatar
shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 25891
Joined: Thu Sep 27, 2007 4:30 am
Location: Glasgow. Scotland
Contact:

Re: Broadcast, retrofuturist pop & hauntological pop; megaguide.

Post by shadowplay » Sat May 16, 2020 9:23 pm

UlricvonCatalyst wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 1:36 pm
Never mind Jon Brooks; that In Fabric soundtrack was out and sold out quicker than it takes to say Cavern of Anti-Matter. And apparently straight onto eBay/Discogs at a handsome profit. Guess who didn't manage to snag a reasonably priced copy. :(
It’s fucking maddening when you see new stuff in the Discogs piggy trough. I was on it in a flash and bought the preceding seven as well.

It was very fairly priced while it lasted. Hopefully there’s a copy somewhere with your name on it.

Btw I think this selling out reveals the rather cruel random nature of limited releases. At a time when we’re are all saluting key workers this record comes out in the middle of most folks working day and sells out in a couple of hours. It’s fine for the likes of me working from home but unfair to yer On shift healthcare professional in the NHS trenches. In fact I bought more than one from different vendors because I knew working folk who would miss it but want it. I’d personally like the shops to announce their pre-order release times 24 hours in advance to at least give those on shift a fighting chance. I like how Polytechnic Youth go live at 9pm GMT and give plenty of notice.

D
Are you loathsome tonight?

User avatar
UlricvonCatalyst
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 6348
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 4:05 am
Location: Glasgow, Scotland

Re: Broadcast, retrofuturist pop & hauntological pop; megaguide.

Post by UlricvonCatalyst » Sun May 17, 2020 9:48 pm

shadowplay wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 9:23 pm
UlricvonCatalyst wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 1:36 pm
Never mind Jon Brooks; that In Fabric soundtrack was out and sold out quicker than it takes to say Cavern of Anti-Matter. And apparently straight onto eBay/Discogs at a handsome profit. Guess who didn't manage to snag a reasonably priced copy. :(
It’s fucking maddening when you see new stuff in the Discogs piggy trough. I was on it in a flash and bought the preceding seven as well.

It was very fairly priced while it lasted. Hopefully there’s a copy somewhere with your name on it.

Btw I think this selling out reveals the rather cruel random nature of limited releases. At a time when we’re are all saluting key workers this record comes out in the middle of most folks working day and sells out in a couple of hours. It’s fine for the likes of me working from home but unfair to yer On shift healthcare professional in the NHS trenches. In fact I bought more than one from different vendors because I knew working folk who would miss it but want it. I’d personally like the shops to announce their pre-order release times 24 hours in advance to at least give those on shift a fighting chance. I like how Polytechnic Youth go live at 9pm GMT and give plenty of notice.

D
Yeah, in the normal course of events I'd have nipped round to Monorail and as like as not found a copy there (same with the Jon Brooks LP). I'm wondering if they're still receiving incoming stock despite being shut for passing trade and I'll be able to wander in and find them both when they reopen. On balance, I suspect not.

Funny you should say that about key workers - I'm currently working in the Lighthouse Lab, where they do the Covid-19 testing. Can't remember if I was actually doing a shift when it came out or not; I just saw a FB post saying it was out somewhat late in the evening, and everywhere I looked was out of stock, with reports of "£75 on eBay" already coming in.

Even with a "one per person" rule, limited releases (of popular stuff) are a scalper's charter. >:(

User avatar
UlricvonCatalyst
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 6348
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 4:05 am
Location: Glasgow, Scotland

Re: Broadcast, retrofuturist pop & hauntological pop; megaguide.

Post by UlricvonCatalyst » Sun May 17, 2020 9:52 pm

On the upside, there'll surely be a second pressing at some point, which I'll hopefully be luckier with. I'm not some obsessive for whom the first pressing is absolutely essential.

User avatar
shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 25891
Joined: Thu Sep 27, 2007 4:30 am
Location: Glasgow. Scotland
Contact:

Re: Broadcast, retrofuturist pop & hauntological pop; megaguide.

Post by shadowplay » Sun May 17, 2020 9:58 pm

^^^

Was just typing similar sentiments

You know I’ve a feeling we might end up shrugging about this because looking at the language of the release I get the feeling* that the ‘limited’ thing is just the flipping paper bag housing ‘initial copies’ which makes me think there’s a second run coming down the pipe.

Folklore tapes love similar corner shop bags and they IME always end up tatty as fuck (often before they even get to you) so no loss there IMO.

Job sounds interesting and worthwhile.

D

*though I might be wrong
Are you loathsome tonight?

User avatar
UlricvonCatalyst
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 6348
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 4:05 am
Location: Glasgow, Scotland

Re: Broadcast, retrofuturist pop & hauntological pop; megaguide.

Post by UlricvonCatalyst » Sun May 17, 2020 11:42 pm

Right, didn't realise the paper bag was the USP of the first edition. Hope that comes back to bite the scalpers on the arse as they end up with a price differential nobody in their right mind will entertain.

User avatar
NickD
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 2256
Joined: Sat Oct 07, 2006 11:39 am

Re: Broadcast, retrofuturist pop & hauntological pop; megaguide.

Post by NickD » Wed May 20, 2020 12:35 am

First pressing only makes any difference at all if they need to use new stampers etc for the second pressing. No chance of that on a pressing of 300. I missed it too, but content to wait for the repress.

Post Reply