happy 20th, relationship of command.

Favorite new record? Favorite old record? Got a band? Post it here.
Post Reply
User avatar
s_mcsleazy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 15828
Joined: Thu Jul 28, 2011 7:30 am
Location: glasgow

happy 20th, relationship of command.

Post by s_mcsleazy » Tue Sep 15, 2020 3:10 am

so relationship of command - at the drive-in is now 20 years old...... didn't seem that long ago a 9 year old sleazy heard one armed scissor coming from my dad's sony hifi and started bouncing off the walls, then spend the next 5 years sneaking albums out my dad's cd collection trying to find out what album had that song.

so let's wish this classic post-hardcore album happy birthday.
offset guitars resident bass player.
'Are you trying to seduce me Mrs Robinson? Or do you just want me to solder a couple of resistors into your Muff?'

User avatar
zhivago
Mods
Mods
Posts: 20870
Joined: Tue Sep 12, 2006 6:18 am
Location: London, UK

Re: happy 20th, relationship of command.

Post by zhivago » Tue Sep 15, 2020 4:41 am

Such an incredible record, beginning to end. Not many records are like that. :-*
Resident Spartan.

User avatar
Veitchy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 787
Joined: Sun Jun 12, 2011 7:12 am
Location: Robe, South Australia

Re: happy 20th, relationship of command.

Post by Veitchy » Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:35 pm

300% Dynamite.

I was actually on a big Mars Volta kick last week. Only appropriate to give RoC a spin now too.

User avatar
kosmonautmayhem
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 5805
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 8:26 am
Location: Chicago

Re: happy 20th, relationship of command.

Post by kosmonautmayhem » Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:58 pm

Veitchy wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:35 pm
300% Dynamite.

I was actually on a big Mars Volta kick last week. Only appropriate to give RoC a spin now too.
Wow. Same! Spun the first MV record for the first time in years a week ago today. Incredible record. And RoC....I distinctly remember the first time listening to it when it came out. Band mate had it and demanded a long drive. We were changed after that. Thats not to say we changed our direction or anything like that but what a new lens for us young college kids. That energy is something to behold even still.

User avatar
Veitchy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 787
Joined: Sun Jun 12, 2011 7:12 am
Location: Robe, South Australia

Re: happy 20th, relationship of command.

Post by Veitchy » Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:44 pm

kosmonautmayhem wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:58 pm
Veitchy wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:35 pm
300% Dynamite.

I was actually on a big Mars Volta kick last week. Only appropriate to give RoC a spin now too.
Wow. Same! Spun the first MV record for the first time in years a week ago today. Incredible record. And RoC....I distinctly remember the first time listening to it when it came out. Band mate had it and demanded a long drive. We were changed after that. Thats not to say we changed our direction or anything like that but what a new lens for us young college kids. That energy is something to behold even still.
They're amazing. Cedric and Omar have this weird Page/Plant thing going on and in general their output through the 2000s is some of the most inventive music I ever heard. Hearing how Omar arranged and recorded Deloused... in little pieces and put it back together really made me rethink the place arrangement has in rock music. Surprise surprise to me when I saw how much tinkering Page was doing when I looked back at Zeppelin's recordings.

I reckon there are real parallels is what I'm saying.

dinosaurkale->
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 2766
Joined: Sun Dec 12, 2010 9:07 pm
Location: illadelph halflife

Re: happy 20th, relationship of command.

Post by dinosaurkale-> » Thu Sep 17, 2020 2:37 am

kinda lost track and interest of this band by the time they got to this record
but saw them live many times prior to this and they were always fantastic live

User avatar
kosmonautmayhem
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 5805
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 8:26 am
Location: Chicago

Re: happy 20th, relationship of command.

Post by kosmonautmayhem » Thu Sep 17, 2020 3:43 am

Veitchy wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:44 pm
kosmonautmayhem wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:58 pm
Veitchy wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:35 pm
300% Dynamite.

I was actually on a big Mars Volta kick last week. Only appropriate to give RoC a spin now too.
Wow. Same! Spun the first MV record for the first time in years a week ago today. Incredible record. And RoC....I distinctly remember the first time listening to it when it came out. Band mate had it and demanded a long drive. We were changed after that. Thats not to say we changed our direction or anything like that but what a new lens for us young college kids. That energy is something to behold even still.
They're amazing. Cedric and Omar have this weird Page/Plant thing going on and in general their output through the 2000s is some of the most inventive music I ever heard. Hearing how Omar arranged and recorded Deloused... in little pieces and put it back together really made me rethink the place arrangement has in rock music. Surprise surprise to me when I saw how much tinkering Page was doing when I looked back at Zeppelin's recordings.

I reckon there are real parallels is what I'm saying.
Really interesting observation! MV is one of those instances where I actually know very little about the history or how it was made, etc. And I generally love that kind of thing. Any links or places to start a deep dive on the subject? :ph34r:

User avatar
tune_link
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 328
Joined: Wed Aug 09, 2017 7:24 am
Location: Chattanooga, TN
Contact:

Re: happy 20th, relationship of command.

Post by tune_link » Thu Sep 17, 2020 6:21 am

I was in college when Relationship of Command came out. I had heard some of the previous ATDI records and they didn't do much for me (I later went back and found I really liked several of them). As someone who was into the whole west coast 90s screamo thing - Ebullition, Gravity Records, etc. when I heard this album it was an easy way to sort of show people who weren't familiar with that stuff that you could make music like this that was catchy and palatable. I feel like this one really raised the bar. A lot of my friends had felt that way about Refused - Shape of Punk to Come....and I like that okay but this is the one that did it for me. I hate that their reunion LP wasn't too good. As someone who then followed Mars Volta and enjoyed almost all of their output to some degree as well as the first two Sparta albums, it really felt like they didn't even try on the reunion record.

I still listen to Relationship all the time. GREAAAAAT fucking album.

User avatar
Veitchy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 787
Joined: Sun Jun 12, 2011 7:12 am
Location: Robe, South Australia

Re: happy 20th, relationship of command.

Post by Veitchy » Thu Sep 17, 2020 5:05 pm

kosmonautmayhem wrote:
Thu Sep 17, 2020 3:43 am
Veitchy wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:44 pm
kosmonautmayhem wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:58 pm


Wow. Same! Spun the first MV record for the first time in years a week ago today. Incredible record. And RoC....I distinctly remember the first time listening to it when it came out. Band mate had it and demanded a long drive. We were changed after that. Thats not to say we changed our direction or anything like that but what a new lens for us young college kids. That energy is something to behold even still.
They're amazing. Cedric and Omar have this weird Page/Plant thing going on and in general their output through the 2000s is some of the most inventive music I ever heard. Hearing how Omar arranged and recorded Deloused... in little pieces and put it back together really made me rethink the place arrangement has in rock music. Surprise surprise to me when I saw how much tinkering Page was doing when I looked back at Zeppelin's recordings.

I reckon there are real parallels is what I'm saying.
Really interesting observation! MV is one of those instances where I actually know very little about the history or how it was made, etc. And I generally love that kind of thing. Any links or places to start a deep dive on the subject? :ph34r:
Honestly, I'm just going from what I remember reading about it back in the day, and what I've managed to piece together over the years. I'm not sure if there's a great deal of scholarship on that music or era, but if there is I'd be interested to read it too.

Post Reply