Neil Young - Greendale

Favorite new record? Favorite old record? Got a band? Post it here.
Veitchy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Neil Young - Greendale

Post by Veitchy » Sun Oct 25, 2020 5:32 pm

Upon hearing the news that Neil Young is planning to release a live recording and video of Crazy Horse touring Greendale from a few years back (https://guitar.com/news/music-news/neil ... cert-film/), I've been collecting my thoughts on this record. The album doesn't seem to have split listeners largely down the middle, especially interesting as Young's more recent output with Crazy Horse has been fairly well received.

I for one really like the album. Yes, a lot of the riffs are monotonous (intentionally, I believe) and the songs are pretty long too - it isn't an album of singles, that's for sure. That said, I really like the rambling nature of the album - it has this feeling of the story being retold by an average local bar blues band. The music being so narratively focused gives it a, dare I say it, somewhat Homeric feel. Furthermore, Having spent my youth in the country, and now find myself living in a little seaside town off of a highway the setting especially resonates with me (we definitely have fewer murders though).

I'm wondering if anyone else has any thoughts on this one.

rank
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Neil Young - Greendale

Post by rank » Sun Oct 25, 2020 5:45 pm

I'm a big Neil fan & do like the record but there was a "limited edition" CD that came with a bonus DVD of him performing the songs solo acoustic. I found it mesmerizing. Way better than the actual album in my opinion.
We are merely moving shadows.

Veitchy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Veitchy » Sun Oct 25, 2020 6:11 pm

rank wrote:
Sun Oct 25, 2020 5:45 pm
I'm a big Neil fan & do like the record but there was a "limited edition" CD that came with a bonus DVD of him performing the songs solo acoustic. I found it mesmerizing. Way better than the actual album in my opinion.
I didn't know about that release. I'll have a dig around and see if anyone's uploaded any of it.

i love sharin foo
Mods
Mods

Post by i love sharin foo » Thu Oct 29, 2020 4:41 pm

I've LOVED Greendale since it first came out! All these years later and I still feel the same way. It is just a great story that pulls you in and holds your attention. No, nothing is mind blowing, but it is very consistent and solid through and through.
A world of ruin all in vain