Is loud guitar-based music destined to be "throwback" music from here outwards?

Favorite new record? Favorite old record? Got a band? Post it here.
Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Is loud guitar-based music destined to be "throwback" music from here outwards?

Post by Larry Mal » Sun Jan 03, 2021 7:42 am

mbene085 wrote:
Sun Jan 03, 2021 6:26 am

I was always an anomaly of a Millennial because I enjoyed things like listening to full albums and dedicating my full attention to the music I was listening to, but it's a whole other level with the next generation. Getting her to listen to a full song is a challenge, and I'm not joking about that. By the time the first chorus is done, she's basically squirming and ready to do something else, even if she actually likes the song. She's the Tik Tok generation and is used to swiping through a new audiovisual experience every 15 seconds.

I can only get her to listen to a new song if it has an accompanying video. It just becomes background music to her instantly otherwise.
My attention span is not what it had been before I had the internet- yeah, I'm old enough to remember. I don't consume music like I used to do.
Back in those days, everyone knew that if you were talking about Destiny's Child, you were talking about Beyonce, LaTavia, LeToya, and Larry.

BoringPostcards
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Is loud guitar-based music destined to be "throwback" music from here outwards?

Post by BoringPostcards » Sun Jan 03, 2021 12:19 pm

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=oYKwotHRdHo

Gotta watch this, guys. It is the perfect vid for this thread. It is two up and coming jazz geniuses in their late teens doing a tribute mashup jam. It was posted a few months ago. There is something surreal about it.
Piano and drums.
Det er mig der holder traeerne sammen.

charmonder
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by charmonder » Sun Jan 03, 2021 3:11 pm

BoringPostcards wrote:
Sun Jan 03, 2021 12:19 pm

Gotta watch this, guys. It is the perfect vid for this thread. It is two up and coming jazz geniuses in their late teens doing a tribute mashup jam. It was posted a few months ago. There is something surreal about it.
Piano and drums.
this is good... I just gotta add, it's wild how frequent madvillainy related posts were even up to this moment, the album is so unique and it meant so much to so many people, I didn't even notice when they announced he'd died thought it was just another madvillainy post for an entire day. RIP DOOM.

BoringPostcards
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by BoringPostcards » Sun Jan 03, 2021 4:01 pm

charmonder wrote:
Sun Jan 03, 2021 3:11 pm
BoringPostcards wrote:
Sun Jan 03, 2021 12:19 pm

Piano and drums.
this is good... I just gotta add, it's wild how frequent madvillainy related posts were even up to this moment, the album is so unique and it meant so much to so many people, I didn't even notice when they announced he'd died thought it was just another madvillainy post for an entire day. RIP DOOM.
The reveal of his death was days after we started talking about his music in this thread.
Some spooky action at work here, methinks.
Det er mig der holder traeerne sammen.

mcbrandt
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mcbrandt » Mon Jan 04, 2021 11:02 am

HedonismBot wrote:
Sat Jan 02, 2021 11:04 pm
I have to admit that I kind of dig Mac Demarco. Nothing new either, really, but what buys me in is his chill demeanor and his sense of humor. If you know you can't invent something brand new, why not just relax and have fun.
I love Mac DeMarco. He seems like he'd be a humorous and entertaining friend. I watch the random pseudo-interviews with him (the String Theory one and the fender strat one) more than I probably listen to his music, but I go through phases where I spin his albums a lot.

burpgun
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by burpgun » Mon Jan 04, 2021 11:46 am

BoringPostcards wrote:
Sun Jan 03, 2021 5:27 am
s_mcsleazy wrote:
Fri Jan 01, 2021 11:49 am
Larry Mal wrote:
Wed Dec 30, 2020 12:47 pm

*Before any of you says anything about those fucking acoustic guitar basses, it's not 1996 anymore, and you aren't watching Spin Doctors on MTV Unpluggged, and it's well past time to admit that those things fucking sucked. Just stop it. Your friends hate it when you make them listen to you play that and you should be ashamed of yourself.
thank god someone said it. both acoustic basses and mtv unplugged. honestly, i played acoustic bass in high school orchestra because apparently electric bass was too overpowering. i'd get lost the second low brass came in. we had a teacher (who was also our conductor) always say "can you play lighter sleazy?" i wanted to see if she noticed if i didn't play at all. afterwards she said "wow, you sounded great in that last performance" honestly, when it's been asked i play one in the past, i always say "you don't want that, you think you want it but you don't"

as for mtv unplugged, maybe 1/20 of those songs worked like that but honestly, most of them just fell flat on it's face. i know everyone always talks about nirvana unplugged as the standout but half of that album is covers.
Alice in Chains unplugged worked well (the acoustic version of Sludge Factory is great), as did Pearl Jam and Stone Temple Pilots. Whether or not you like those bands is subjective, but those three bands sound absolutely fine unplugged.
Nirvana, not so much. All the others worked to varying degrees. I am sure Clapton fans loved his show.
I agree nearly 100% about the acoustic bass. They are useless for playing live, and are mostly useless in studio. A really good one will sound good mic'd. They have a unique tone, but aren't loud at all, and as others have said, Piezo is a shitshow that will not give you the natural sound of the instrument.
They are fantastic for practice and late night playing though, and I will never sell my Tanglewood for those reasons. Mine has a nice rich and woody timbre.

Edited some typos. Friggin phoneposting...
I've been messing around with acoustic bass guitar since the late 80s, and outside of using it to practice and write, it is indeed mostly useless. And y'all are right, the piezo pickup sound is unpleasant enough that folks really should just accept the reality they're electric and use an instrument that makes more sense. I'm on some sort of medium scale Fender acoustic bass now that plays well, and its medium scale might be the most comfortable bass scale I've ever come across, but it's very quiet. Before that I had a pretty gross Kramer Ferrington. It had a giant body and it still could be blown away by most acoustic guitars. I played live with it a few times amplified and had to fill the body with foam rubber to stop feedback. That said, I do agree they can record nicely. Anyone heard the album by Bill Laswell called Means of Deliverance, where he plays, solo, a fretless Warwick Aliean acoustic bass? Absolutely beautiful music there and a great sound.