how has your music listening been since the pandemic?

Favorite new record? Favorite old record? Got a band? Post it here.
s_mcsleazy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

how has your music listening been since the pandemic?

Post by s_mcsleazy » Wed Jan 20, 2021 9:27 pm

this is based on a conversation i had with a few of my friends since the start of the pandemic. we were talking about noticeable changes in our listening habits. be it what music we listen to, how we listen to it, where/when we listen to it.

pre-pandemic, i mainly listened to music on CD/vinyl (CD in the car and a mix of CD/vinyl in the flat) i was listening to a lot of midwestern emo and folk punk and it was mainly just as background noise

during the pandemic, i mainly started listening to spotify because i wasn't going out in the car as much but going out on my bike. in my flat, i kinda stopped listening to music because i just would have so much trouble using it as background noise, i'd find myself getting mad or sad very quickly. my listening habits kinda reverted back to the same kind of music i listened to when i was 16-20..... so lot's of post hardcore. a lot of electronic, pop and rap music also decided to sneak in but that was mainly because it was high energy and i could turn my brain off when cycling.

a lot of my friend's that are around my age said they were noticing they were going back to the music of their late teens and one of them vocalized their feelings as "when you're looking back at the 08 financial crisis with rose coloured glasses, you know things are fucked"
offset guitars resident bass player.
'Are you trying to seduce me Mrs Robinson? Or do you just want me to solder a couple of resistors into your Muff?'

budda12ax7
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: how has your music listening been since the pandemic?

Post by budda12ax7 » Wed Jan 20, 2021 10:51 pm

Binge listening to so much different kinds of music....this has been my go to safe spot since last March. Lots of ambient dub and synth wave....

then I love really heavy stoner doom, I put on headphones and disappear for awhile....
I recently got a HIBY R2 with a 512 gb with a micro sad card, so I dumped my entire iTunes library on it going back to 2014, then added all my new music from this past year....bliss bliss bliss bliss.....because I can listen to anything. I went from Black Sabbath to Echo Belly to Hawaiian back yard reggae .....

I also have internet radio, thenTUNEIN radio app...this is a must get...I have the Soma FM ecosystem stations with something called Groove Salad....which is chill ambient synth stuff....bliss bliss bliss.....

I was listening to stuff from my teens...maybe it’s comfort music.....

Plus pod casts....the Martyr Made podacast, Jocko podcast and the Easter Border podcast....bliss

Shadoweclipse13
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Shadoweclipse13 » Thu Jan 21, 2021 12:29 am

I listen to music in two places mainly: in the truck while driving, and with headphones while woodworking. Occasionally I'll listen through my phone speakers in the shower or while just chilling at home (usually in the basement, lately while going through boxes post-move). I have a rule that if I buy a CD (which is my preferred medium for purchased music), I always listen to the album at least once through before putting it on my phone. I've had albums that I put straight onto my phone, and I forgot that I had the album on my phone. So basically, it hasn't changed much because of the pandemic (especially since I was deemed an "essential" worker and still work 40+ hours a week).

I have been finding myself listening to synth and electronic music more than guitar/traditional band-type instrument stuff. Though that's probably because I'm discovering more stuff like that lately than bands, which could be a lack of shows per Covid.

Astral Throb - Nightlapse
Astral Throb is a really good playlist-style mix of electronic music I've really come to love. I actually have over 100 of his/her mixes on my phone :)

Electro Swing Thing - Welcome Back 20's: Electro Swing Mix
Electro Swing is another genre that I've found and recently fallen in love with (technically my fiancée found it, and we both fell in love). Specifically Parov Stelar. A couple favorites:

Parov Stelar - Catgroove
Parov Stelar - Booty Swing
Parov Stelar - The Princess
Pickup Switching Mad Scientist
http://www.offsetguitars.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=104282&p=1438384#p1438384

tammyw
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by tammyw » Thu Jan 21, 2021 2:55 am

I started watching various DJ streams on Twitch, learned about several new sub-genres of house music that I hadn't heard before, also funkot.
All pain and troubles melted away like lemon drops beyond the contrails across the sky.

Flurko
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Flurko » Thu Jan 21, 2021 3:22 am

I think I've listened to less music than before, this has been mostly a huge podcast year for me.

I finally cancelled my spotify subscription, realizing way too late that I didn't want to give a cent to these people. I made the switch to YouTube Music for the easy to find stuff, and to bandcamp online listening for the smaller acts.

And I also revived my last.fm account like it's 2006, let's add each other !

Also I'm not sure why but for a while I've been switching back and fort between Vulfpeck days and Kyuss days. At least Kyuss is easy enough to jam along on guitar/bass when it's playing.

MayTheFuzzBeWithYou
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by MayTheFuzzBeWithYou » Thu Jan 21, 2021 11:00 am

Normally I bought my vinyl directly from the bands at their shows. I did so on the 3 (noise rock) concerts I‘ve been from March to December - but other than that I had to order them... some times bandcamp, some times directly from the label and sometimes from real shops with online appearances...
And our record collection has grown enormously last year!
My personal highlights among last year‘s releases: SLIFT - Ummon, RADAR MEN FROM THE MOON - the bestial light and THE WYTCHES - three mile ditch, MAYFLOWER MADAMME - prepared for a nightmare and a completely new band for me and more of a random buy from Fuzz Club - SIGNAPORE SLING - good sick fun. And the new OSEES record has been shipped today! Let‘s see how I like it - their 2019 show in vienna has been my best concert in my life.

So yes, I still love to listen to music on vinyl and on cd when driving in the car. And with headphones from my mobile. With limited phone space I also have to change my music from time to time - I also listen to the new stuff first on vinyl (except if I get it from bandcamp and the music arrives prior to the record.

What has changed through the pandemic? Youtube and spotify have grown even more annoying - my girlfriend still uses them regularly and we both intend to spend those 120€ we „save“ by not getting their abos on vinyl!

Genre wise - still and even more Psych Rock - especially darker, trippier stuff (Fuzz Club is a good address for that), but also more and more Garage and Surf Rock.
My lust for 70s stuff and the whole Stoner Rock has ebbed a bit away over the last years - and Noise Rock has grown more on me. But I also have listened a lot to old cds and records - yes to stuff I‘ve already listened to in 2008. At least partial. No more Reggae, little Funk - and overall way more experimental stuff.
My girlfriend and I also had a song we‘d spin everyday during the very first lockdown.
Python Lee Jackson „in a broken dream“
https://youtu.be/dcLlq_DXpY8 - can you tell who‘s the singer here without looking it up? I was positively surprised! ;)
Shadoweclipse13 wrote:
Thu Jan 21, 2021 12:29 am
Electro Swing is another genre that I've found and recently fallen in love with (technically my fiancée found it, and we both fell in love). Specifically Parov Stelar.
Hihi. Parov Stelar is from my hometown - Linz at the Danube in Austria. Also my cousin‘s husband is the bassist - at least live - don‘t know about the studio stuff. I was really into them from 2007 to 2013 or so. Have seen them a couple of times live back then - but since they‘re really famous and only play those giant shows (and due to way more expensive tickets than the 8-15€ I payed back then) I haven‘t been to one ever since.

Shadoweclipse13
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Shadoweclipse13 » Thu Jan 21, 2021 10:47 pm

MayTheFuzzBeWithYou wrote:
Thu Jan 21, 2021 11:00 am
Shadoweclipse13 wrote:
Electro Swing is another genre that I've found and recently fallen in love with (technically my fiancée found it, and we both fell in love). Specifically Parov Stelar.
Hihi. Parov Stelar is from my hometown - Linz at the Danube in Austria. Also my cousin‘s husband is the bassist - at least live - don‘t know about the studio stuff. I was really into them from 2007 to 2013 or so. Have seen them a couple of times live back then - but since they‘re really famous and only play those giant shows (and due to way more expensive tickets than the 8-15€ I payed back then) I haven‘t been to one ever since.
That's amazing. I can't imagine how good those shows would've been.

It's frustrating that they've gotten so popular, because I'm having a hard time finding specific albums of theirs. I mean, I'm happy for their success, don't misunderstand me, but there are some things that are hard to find and I much prefer supporting artists by buying physical media.
Pickup Switching Mad Scientist
http://www.offsetguitars.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=104282&p=1438384#p1438384

daemon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by daemon » Fri Feb 05, 2021 11:33 am

Spent the last few months listening to every CD I had and then cassette and now LP (which I'm about halfway through). Beats streaming music like I used to do on crappy PC speakers in the office.

Singlebladepickup
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Singlebladepickup » Fri Feb 05, 2021 4:07 pm

I've been listening to music therapeutically, whether that means synthy stuff or fuzzy droney stuff

marqueemoon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by marqueemoon » Fri Feb 05, 2021 7:01 pm

Lots of familiar “comfort food” stuff.

As shitty as Spotify is for musicians I have been checking out artists I’ve heard about a bunch but never really listened to like Young Marble Giants, Wire, etc...

More on the dark/creepy side. Optimistic lyrics can GTFO right now.

CivoLee
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by CivoLee » Fri Feb 05, 2021 10:01 pm

It hasn't changed at all for me, because I'm one of those (un)lucky "essential workers" who had to work through the whole lockdown period with only an occasional "thank you" from all the people who had to work from home to show for it...

pacemaker
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by pacemaker » Sun Feb 07, 2021 1:51 pm

Pre-pandemic, I had a 40-minute commute that bookended my work day. I have satellite radio in the car, but I tended to listen to comedy radio or NPR news, depending on whether I was trying to self-care or make myself miserable. When I got to work I'd fire up Spotify on the headphones. I've been listening to Spotify for about five years now and do a pretty good job of pressing the "like/don't like" buttons on the weekly discover playlists, so I really look forward to those playlists every week now – I usually get a handful of favorites mixed in with good recommendations for stuff I'm less familiar with.

Now, I've been working remotely for almost a year. I don't miss the commute at all, obviously. I still listen to Spotify on headphones during the day as I'm working, especially when my partner is on a work video meeting. But I have been listening to vinyl records since I was a kid and have always had a turntable around, so the majority of the music in the house is played on vinyl now, which I absolutely love. We purchased a bluetooth speaker so we can stream music from our phones or laptops when we do socially distanced hangouts in the yard.

As far as the type of music I'm listening to, I noticed that I've leaned pretty far away from the noisy, punk, rock 'n' roll stuff and way more into more mellow, atmospheric stuff with minimal vocals – dub, jazz, experimental stuff, etc.

budda12ax7
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by budda12ax7 » Sun Feb 07, 2021 2:28 pm

Shadoweclipse13 wrote:
I listen to music in two places mainly: in the truck while driving, and with headphones while woodworking. Occasionally I'll listen through my phone speakers in the shower or while just chilling at home (usually in the basement, lately while going through boxes post-move). I have a rule that if I buy a CD (which is my preferred medium for purchased music), I always listen to the album at least once through before putting it on my phone. I've had albums that I put straight onto my phone, and I forgot that I had the album on my phone. So basically, it hasn't changed much because of the pandemic (especially since I was deemed an "essential" worker and still work 40+ hours a week).

I have been finding myself listening to synth and electronic music more than guitar/traditional band-type instrument stuff. Though that's probably because I'm discovering more stuff like that lately than bands, which could be a lack of shows per Covid.

Astral Throb - Nightlapse
Astral Throb is a really good playlist-style mix of electronic music I've really come to love. I actually have over 100 of his/her mixes on my phone :)

Yes...this has been my go to for awhile...

stevejamsecono
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by stevejamsecono » Mon Feb 08, 2021 4:38 am

Initially comfort food music as mentioned, but I eventually started more aggressively looking for new things to listen to. The biggest listening triumph for me in the last year was that I finally started tot scratch the surface on rap and found some stuff that I really got into. As with most genres I feel like it's a matter of exposing yourself to the things that speak to you, and with the help of that Netflix series Hip Hop Evolution I was able to do that, and it's been a really interesting trip.
And you find out life isn't like that
It's so hard to understand
Why the world is your oyster but your future's a clam

Resident Yamaha Fanboy

COYS

redchapterjubilee
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by redchapterjubilee » Mon Feb 08, 2021 6:54 am

During the first handful of months I was banished from campus and working from home. My desk is in a finished basement at the house that doubles as a rec room, recording studio, and my wife's telecommuting desk (when she uses it...most of the time she works from her chair in the living room). My stereo and records are all down there, so I listened to vinyl all day for four months. Then I had to go back to real work and that's cut back on record time. Several months before the pandemic began I hotrodded my iPod with 500 GB of solid state memory so I listen to music from it at work and in the car. I have a small Nano iPod that I listen to when I'm out on my bicycle. I'd say bike time is my best focused listening time. I really should make it a habit of going downstairs and putting on a record and just listen, like I did when I was a teenager. The problem with this basement room is also it's strong point. It is almost completely separated from the flow and energy of our house. When you go down there you may as well have left the building (it's only connected to the rest of the house from the garage). That's awesome when my wife is on camera teaching or when the kids want to play video games or I'm recording stuff but awful if I want to still be a part of what's going on in the house.

As for what I've listened to...the same old stuff! I'm not really going into a different direction because the world has gone nuts. I'm in my mid 40s now and I don't listen to as much new music as I should. I suppose one thing has changed. Because I'm not playing shows I'm not picking up on new music from the bands I share bills with, as most of my favorite new music of the past 5 years has been made by bands I've shared stages with down on the "D minus" level circuit. But a lot of those folks have used the time off to record so most of my new purchases have been from folks like that.