Slow Crush - Belgian Shoegaze

Favorite new record? Favorite old record? Got a band? Post it here.
sal paradise
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Slow Crush - Belgian Shoegaze

Post by sal paradise » Thu Jul 22, 2021 7:02 am

jorri wrote:
Thu Jul 22, 2021 6:59 am
jorri wrote:
Thu Jul 22, 2021 6:55 am
sal paradise wrote:
Wed Jul 21, 2021 6:56 am

Ah, you see what got me into shoegaze was bands like editors. Back in the 90s, if it wasn’t grunge or skatepunk I wasn’t digging it. I woke up to Gish & MBV way too late in life.
Prob Radiohead and Sigur Ros and Mogwai for me led me onto it. Well anything ethereal, like Doves or something and even early Coldplay and thinking "surely someone does this better than this" although sure, it led to something else 😆 i think interpol and editors just led me to joy division and the bunnymen
And i think, somehow i created an aversion to anything grungy and post-hardcore haha. I mean discovering Sonic Youth or electronica like Aphex and BOC i think i basically ditched any connotation to 'rock music' for a while...
So weird the boxes we put ourselves in. I’m much better these days, but I probably still miss so much great music thanks to snobbery.
I have nothing to offer anybody, except my own confusion?

jorri
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by jorri » Thu Jul 22, 2021 9:42 am

sal paradise wrote:
Thu Jul 22, 2021 7:02 am
jorri wrote:
jorri wrote:
Thu Jul 22, 2021 6:55 am

Prob Radiohead and Sigur Ros and Mogwai for me led me onto it. Well anything ethereal, like Doves or something and even early Coldplay and thinking "surely someone does this better than this" although sure, it led to something else 😆 i think interpol and editors just led me to joy division and the bunnymen
And i think, somehow i created an aversion to anything grungy and post-hardcore haha. I mean discovering Sonic Youth or electronica like Aphex and BOC i think i basically ditched any connotation to 'rock music' for a while...
So weird the boxes we put ourselves in. I’m much better these days, but I probably still miss so much great music thanks to snobbery.
Yes me too, but i still have some snobbish opinions i guess?
Nonetheless perhaps the rejection of rock music led on to discovering any other genre for a while. And now the rock music is back; perhaps not grunge but some Pixies, Shellac, or whatever from a certain era. I can thank that for discovering classical minimalism, Malian Kora music or weird trip-hop or early dub reggae then OK-- i hope the snobbery is in the direction of more musical diversity at all times and not less (like maybe some Metal fans who just stick to their specific sub-genre '-core', and i know, its not just them!)

sal paradise
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by sal paradise » Thu Jul 22, 2021 9:47 am

jorri wrote:
Thu Jul 22, 2021 9:42 am
sal paradise wrote:
Thu Jul 22, 2021 7:02 am
jorri wrote:

Yes me too, but i still have some snobbish opinions i guess?
Nonetheless perhaps the rejection of rock music led on to discovering any other genre for a while. And now the rock music is back; perhaps not grunge but some Pixies, Shellac, or whatever from a certain era. I can thank that for discovering classical minimalism, Malian Kora music or weird trip-hop or early dub reggae then OK-- i hope the snobbery is in the direction of more musical diversity at all times and not less (like maybe some Metal fans who just stick to their specific sub-genre '-core', and i know, its not just them!)
Yeah, I guess it happens when it happens. And if it doesn’t… who cares?

Either way, we should all just listen to more Ride.
I have nothing to offer anybody, except my own confusion?