Anybody like the Only Ones?

Favorite new record? Favorite old record? Got a band? Post it here.
Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Anybody like the Only Ones?

Post by Larry Mal » Tue May 18, 2021 7:08 pm

I mean, shit, who doesn't? Anyway, I just found out about this very good live album that they have out, they are great in the studio, and this is a very solid live album.

Don't believe me, take a listen to them rip it up with their classic Another Girl Another Planet and you'll see.

Also, the Only Ones have just about the best drummer in the world, if you're into that kind of thing.
Back in those days, everyone knew that if you were talking about Destiny's Child, you were talking about Beyonce, LaTavia, LeToya, and Larry.

stevejamsecono
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Anybody like the Only Ones?

Post by stevejamsecono » Wed May 19, 2021 1:57 am

I'm a pretty big fan. I fell down the rabbit hole a few years ago after playing the hell out of their Peel sessions on youtube and found a inexpensive 3 cd set of the studio albums to sate my interest. John Perry's guitar work is excellent.
And you find out life isn't like that
It's so hard to understand
Why the world is your oyster but your future's a clam

Resident Yamaha Fanboy

COYS

UlricvonCatalyst
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by UlricvonCatalyst » Wed May 19, 2021 2:29 am

Been a fan forever and a day. Always loved Peter Perret's songs but found the shredding a bit hard to take; even that couldn't stop me loving them, though. Perret was up there with Pete Shelley as the poet laureate of the broken-hearted post-punker. I remember during the Cd era that their LPs had never made it to the new format and was glad I still had all their stuff on vinyl (because everyone should have all their stuff).

Saw them on the comeback trail at an open-air festival with constant drizzle and, unlike the Mary Chain who were on before or after them, they made you forget about the weather, with Perret as louche and vampiric as ever.

I think PP did a solo album - or a few tracks - recently, but I didn't give them a fair hearing. Might look into them later, now I'm reminded of his genius.

Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larry Mal » Wed May 19, 2021 5:49 am

UlricvonCatalyst wrote:
Wed May 19, 2021 2:29 am
Been a fan forever and a day. Always loved Peter Perret's songs but found the shredding a bit hard to take; even that couldn't stop me loving them, though. Perret was up there with Pete Shelley as the poet laureate of the broken-hearted post-punker. I remember during the Cd era that their LPs had never made it to the new format and was glad I still had all their stuff on vinyl (because everyone should have all their stuff).
I like the guitar playing, what I really like is the sense of dynamics that they have. A drummer like theirs can really push and pull a song along, and Mike Kellie really does a great job of that. He doesn't just keep time, he makes the songs be what they are in a way that most drummers are incapable of. I never get tired of hearing that guy.
Back in those days, everyone knew that if you were talking about Destiny's Child, you were talking about Beyonce, LaTavia, LeToya, and Larry.

stevejamsecono
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by stevejamsecono » Wed May 19, 2021 5:55 am

Larry Mal wrote:
Wed May 19, 2021 5:49 am
UlricvonCatalyst wrote:
Wed May 19, 2021 2:29 am
I like the guitar playing, what I really like is the sense of dynamics that they have. A drummer like theirs can really push and pull a song along, and Mike Kellie really does a great job of that. He doesn't just keep time, he makes the songs be what they are in a way that most drummers are incapable of. I never get tired of hearing that guy.
Same. Pity he passed away a year or so back. A real loss.

Resident Yamaha Fanboy

COYS

stevejamsecono
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by stevejamsecono » Wed May 19, 2021 6:27 am

Also dang, some killer off the cuff playing from Perry here. Sounds like he's using the "toe-down" wah thing as a lead boost, which is cool. I've always wondered about doing something like that.

Resident Yamaha Fanboy

COYS

Jaguar018
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Jaguar018 » Wed May 26, 2021 10:26 am

I'm a fan. :)

Professor Bill
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Professor Bill » Wed May 26, 2021 10:46 am

I recently found Peter Perret's solo albums, after many years of loving “Another Girl, Another Planet.” Maybe it's all those years he was out of circulation, but he's still very fresh sounding, to my ears.

Tafarel
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Tafarel » Wed Jun 16, 2021 12:49 pm

Big fan, here too. I saw them when I was quite young in Minneapolis. They played at the Longhorn Tavern. John Perry was one of my first inspirations, as well.

Four of us from my band drove up from Lincoln, NE and went straight to the club -- they allowed minors for this show (maybe always did, I dunno). Apparently, we looked appropriately enough like the band they expected. The manager greets us as we are coming in the front door. "Thank god you're finally here", he says. We looked at each other and I think he then realized his mistake. We had a good laugh over that one for a few years.

I remember that the opening band was called The Flaming-Os, or something like that. They were really good, but not really punk rock, although it's debatable whether the Only Ones were, too, as the songwriting was a bit more complex and the guitar playing showed a lot of competence, that was sometimes not really in keeping with the punk ethos.
"I'm nostalgic for conversations I had yesterday. I've begun reminiscing events before they even occur. I'm reminiscing this right now. I can't go to the bar because I've already looked back on it in my memory, and I didn't have a good time."