New "What Makes This Song Stink"

Favorite new record? Favorite old record? Got a band? Post it here.
Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

New "What Makes This Song Stink"

Post by Larry Mal » Tue Aug 17, 2021 4:31 pm

Back in those days, everyone knew that if you were talking about Destiny's Child, you were talking about Beyonce, LaTavia, LeToya, and Larry.

marqueemoon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: New "What Makes This Song Stink"

Post by marqueemoon » Tue Aug 17, 2021 5:13 pm

Watched that earlier. Horrendously stinky song, and there are some good moments.

The Kid Rock one has been my fave so far though.

Embenny
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Embenny » Wed Aug 18, 2021 7:06 am

Well, that was a whole adventure, now wasn't it?
The artist formerly known as mbene085.

Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larry Mal » Sun Aug 22, 2021 9:44 am

Yeah, he pulled it out at the end, but it's clear that he had trouble with this one and the pressure got to him.

Which he acknowledges in the video.

I'm looking forward to the next one.
Back in those days, everyone knew that if you were talking about Destiny's Child, you were talking about Beyonce, LaTavia, LeToya, and Larry.

Flurko
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Flurko » Sun Aug 22, 2021 12:10 pm

This was a great vid, very good follow up to the the Weezer one.
Only downside, this made me walk into a Dunkin Donuts because we passed one while on vacation (they thankfully havent opened any french location) and that was some awful coffee and donuts.

Embenny
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Embenny » Sun Aug 22, 2021 12:29 pm

Larry Mal wrote:
Sun Aug 22, 2021 9:44 am
Yeah, he pulled it out at the end, but it's clear that he had trouble with this one and the pressure got to him.

Which he acknowledges in the video.

I'm looking forward to the next one.
It was very meta. Most of the video was about he irony of succumbing to the pressure of expectations after having shat all over Weezer, and he clearly didn't have many clever ideas about this song itself.

I do wish he spent a bit more time getting into the nuts and bolts of the actual song, since there's lots to critique. A lot of it was general Train hate - but a lot of his best bits were about other Train songs. He should have just made a "what makes this band stink" if he didn't have enough to say about each individual song.

I also didn't particularly like the part where he taught random people to strum a ukulele as though it had anything to do with the song sucking. You could teach people in one sitting to downstroke quarter notes on a bass, doesn't mean every song with quarter note basslines is poorly written. Playing the song on a ukulele wasn't an arrangement choice that made the song stink. I'd argue that it's one of the better decisions they made in that whole writing and recording process.

marqueemoon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by marqueemoon » Sun Aug 22, 2021 1:01 pm

The uke was a decent turd polishing production decision.

mackerelmint
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mackerelmint » Sun Aug 22, 2021 1:10 pm

Flurko wrote:
Sun Aug 22, 2021 12:10 pm
Only downside, this made me walk into a Dunkin Donuts because we passed one while on vacation (they thankfully havent opened any french location) and that was some awful coffee and donuts.
Dunk's is the worrrrrrrrrrrrsssssstt! ;D

My main complaint with New England is that 75% of the locations that would be restaurants, even fast food, are dunkin donuts. It's awful. It's incredible that people like that coffee. I'm someone that most coffee fans would say has no taste in coffee whatsoever, and even I don't like that swill. It's better than Hawaiian coffee, though.

The vid was OK, I thought. I do love me some Dr. Dog, and I've always loathed the I-V-VI-IV, so those parts were OK but I would have liked a bit more focus, I guess.
This is an excellent rectangle

Embenny
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Embenny » Sun Aug 22, 2021 1:32 pm

mackerelmint wrote:
Sun Aug 22, 2021 1:10 pm
Flurko wrote:

My main complaint with New England is that 75% of the locations that would be restaurants, even fast food, are dunkin donuts. It's awful. It's incredible that people like that coffee. I'm someone that most coffee fans would say has no taste in coffee whatsoever, and even I don't like that swill. It's better than Hawaiian coffee, though.
The crazy thing is that, growing up in Montreal in the 90's, we didn't have Tim Horton's. We only had Dunkin Donuts. And you know what? I loved it. When we moved to Toronto, I thought Tim's was a hilarious DD knockoff. I had no idea it was a "thing" to the rest of Canada. And shortly after we moved, DD exited Canada and Tim's moved into Quebec.

I wonder to this day whether 90's Canadian Dunkin Donuts had different food and coffee from the American chain. It was the same logo, same branding, but when I discovered DD was alive and well in the States years later, it was absolutely horrid every time I tried it.

It will forever puzzle me how Tim's could be so much worse switching over from Canadian DD, yet trying American DD is so much worse than Tim's. Maybe Dunkin Donuts had a harder time switching away from trans fats, all my experience was back when nobody gave a damn about hydrogenation.

mackerelmint
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mackerelmint » Sun Aug 22, 2021 2:11 pm

mbene085 wrote:
Sun Aug 22, 2021 1:32 pm
mackerelmint wrote:
Sun Aug 22, 2021 1:10 pm
Flurko wrote:

The crazy thing is that, growing up in Montreal in the 90's, we didn't have Tim Horton's. We only had Dunkin Donuts. And you know what? I loved it. When we moved to Toronto, I thought Tim's was a hilarious DD knockoff. I had no idea it was a "thing" to the rest of Canada. And shortly after we moved, DD exited Canada and Tim's moved into Quebec.

I wonder to this day whether 90's Canadian Dunkin Donuts had different food and coffee from the American chain. It was the same logo, same branding, but when I discovered DD was alive and well in the States years later, it was absolutely horrid every time I tried it.

It will forever puzzle me how Tim's could be so much worse switching over from Canadian DD, yet trying American DD is so much worse than Tim's. Maybe Dunkin Donuts had a harder time switching away from trans fats, all my experience was back when nobody gave a damn about hydrogenation.
Yeah, I remember when I was a kid their donuts were pretty OK. But also, I was a kid and it was fried dough and sugar so that was good enough. Whatever they are now, I only eat there when I'm taking an early ass train out of Boston and that's my only option for breakfast. I don't enjoy it, though. I definitely think Tim's is better. I'd actually thought that DD was gone, it was out on the west coast and then it wasn't. It had just retreated to the northeast. Now it's bounced back bigger and worse than ever, I guess.
This is an excellent rectangle

Flurko
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Flurko » Sun Aug 22, 2021 2:40 pm

All I can add is, is you're ever passing through Copenhagen central station, go literally anywhere else, all the other coffees we've had in Denmark so far where great ;D