Rest In Peace Don Everly

Favorite new record? Favorite old record? Got a band? Post it here.
Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Rest In Peace Don Everly

Post by Larry Mal » Sun Aug 22, 2021 9:51 am

The Everly Brothers were wonderful.

'Til I Kissed You

Here is a pretty great performance with Buddy Holly's band the Crickets backing them as I recall.

When Will I Be Loved is great also.

Anyway, he was an old guy, he lived a good life, made some absolutely great music and really broke a lot of ground for the future of rock and roll and country and so on.
Back in those days, everyone knew that if you were talking about Destiny's Child, you were talking about Beyonce, LaTavia, LeToya, and Larry.

zhivago
Mods
Mods

Re: Rest In Peace Don Everly

Post by zhivago » Sun Aug 22, 2021 12:06 pm

RIP. :(

this is my favourite of the Everly Bros:

Resident Spartan.

Telliot
Mods
Mods

Post by Telliot » Sun Aug 22, 2021 12:37 pm

I’m really happy to see this getting its own thread. The Everly Brothers’ influence cannot be overstated, and for me personally, they were a constant part of my childhood soundtrack. I went through a period during my teens where I thought they were corny, but afterwards grew to appreciate them in ways I didn’t before. Basically, consciously or not, they’ve been one of my musical pillars my entire life.
The cool thing about fretless is you can hit a note...and then renegotiate.

mcbrandt
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mcbrandt » Sun Aug 22, 2021 2:13 pm

I’ve been keeping an eye out for a greatest hits record in the used bins for a while now. My main requirement is it has kathy’s clown on it which sadly isn’t that common. I don’t k is how it can be a greatest hits record without it.

Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larry Mal » Sun Aug 22, 2021 2:31 pm

Telliot wrote:
Sun Aug 22, 2021 12:37 pm
I’m really happy to see this getting its own thread. The Everly Brothers’ influence cannot be overstated, and for me personally, they were a constant part of my childhood soundtrack. I went through a period during my teens where I thought they were corny, but afterwards grew to appreciate them in ways I didn’t before. Basically, consciously or not, they’ve been one of my musical pillars my entire life.
For real.

I used to listen to the oldies station a lot around here, that's how I come to know The Everly Brothers, also I'm a pretty big Simon and Garfunkel fan.

But The Everly Brothers are always going to sound fresh and original just because they didn't have a rule book to follow, you know? Is it rock? Is it country? Sort of both, but then what's up with all those harmonies? And anyway they were doing rock and country before those two genres had really become fully formed anyway.
Back in those days, everyone knew that if you were talking about Destiny's Child, you were talking about Beyonce, LaTavia, LeToya, and Larry.

Telliot
Mods
Mods

Post by Telliot » Sun Aug 22, 2021 3:00 pm

Larry Mal wrote:
Sun Aug 22, 2021 2:31 pm
But The Everly Brothers are always going to sound fresh and original just because they didn't have a rule book to follow, you know? Is it rock? Is it country? Sort of both, but then what's up with all those harmonies? And anyway they were doing rock and country before those two genres had really become fully formed anyway.
Quoted for truth. I’m also a huge Simon & Garfunkel fan, but as you say, without The Everly’s, there’s probably no S&G (at least maybe not in that particular form - but who knows, right?). The Beatles were very open about their EB love and always cited them as a massive influence.

As an aside: I may have mentioned this before, but if you love The Everly Bros and S&G, I highly recommend giving The Milk Carton Kids a listen. Really, really good.
The cool thing about fretless is you can hit a note...and then renegotiate.

Embenny
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Embenny » Sun Aug 22, 2021 7:39 pm

Wow. Sad day.

The Everly Brothers were, for a while, the greatest living rockers of the 50's who weren't sex criminals. Pretty much from the moment Bo Diddley died in '08 until now.
The artist formerly known as mbene085.

burpgun
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by burpgun » Tue Aug 24, 2021 4:30 pm

Love the Everly Brothers. I live in a really noisy part of NYC and when people blast music it’s usually rap or some similar crap. A couple of weeks ago some mystery guy was ripping Everly Brothers full tilt and it was both welcome and very odd.