Releasing new music soon - open for suggestions for promo

Favorite new record? Favorite old record? Got a band? Post it here.
MayTheFuzzBeWithYou
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Releasing new music soon - open for suggestions for promo

Post by MayTheFuzzBeWithYou » Tue Aug 24, 2021 9:33 am

I assume a lot of you here are active musicians.
Whenever you release a new record:
  • where do you send it to (and how? link or mp3 download code, cd, vinyl)?
  • how do you promote your stuff these days?
  • Payed ads on social media? yay or nay?
  • and what blogs and magazines are you reading yourself if you want to discover new music?
  • what radio stations are cool for underground bands that play garage psych surf doom? Especially if they're doing video taped live sessions like KEXP (but in Europe for the start?
So we just finished mixing our second album. The release is planned for November/December with at least one, more likely two or three Single (and Video) Releases before the (full) Album is coming out.
We have a 10-14 day tour planned for December with KARKARA from France (buddies and label mates of SLIFT with whom we already played in 2019) - but let's see how that will work out with the next pandemic wave and the associated restrictions hanging over us like a big dark cloud - and some bookers already making bad predictions... what else shall we bear in mind concerning promotion?

Any cool pendants to LEVITATION and KEXP in Europe?
We're based in Austria and are willing to "conquer" the European mainland next year - and whenever it's possible again also the UK, US, Latin America, Japan, Australia (if we get some dates together).

Here is some footage from our first post-lockdown show (still seated and limited to 30 guests - but therefore also sold out ;) ) - you can see me playing my Liquid Thunder (Rexter double bound B&B matching Headstock Jazzmaster) for the first time - and my bandmate playing my Thinline Jag as he broke a string on his Jagmaster during the second song on the list! https://youtu.be/ZE7L7RXwat4 - it's one of our calmer songs - possibly a bit Portishead inspired - the rest of the album is a tad heavier. Oh yes and TENTACULA is the name. :)

PS: here is a pic of my current board - I had to do one last overdub of a solo yesterday as I originally recorded it with the Bright switch and the Tentacle on which was very aggressive and a little too thin...

noisepunk
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Releasing new music soon - open for suggestions for promo

Post by noisepunk » Tue Aug 24, 2021 10:14 am

i can't offer much advice, as this is something i've struggled with for the entirety of releasing music, and i've yet to really figure it out.

...but definitely submit to KEXP. listening to your last release, quite a few of their DJs would definitely be into this: off hand, i'd specifically send it to Troy Nelson, Eva Walker, Larry Mizzel Jr. and Atticus... also, Owen, who produces the morning show has been particular receptive and communicative with my own band (though they've yet to actually play our music). they have a whole guide on how best to submit to them which is pretty easy to find.

my wife/bandmate and i also have a modest little internet radio show, and i'd definitely be willing to play your stuff to our two or three listeners :fp:

marqueemoon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by marqueemoon » Tue Aug 24, 2021 3:00 pm

The most successful release I did the bedroom/vanity label paid a publicist. Somebody decent will have the contacts and be able to get you press.

I just don’t have the patience for this stuff anymore, but good luck.

MayTheFuzzBeWithYou
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by MayTheFuzzBeWithYou » Wed Aug 25, 2021 12:28 am

noisepunk wrote:
Tue Aug 24, 2021 10:14 am

i can't offer much advice, as this is something i've struggled with for the entirety of releasing music, and i've yet to really figure it out.

...but definitely submit to KEXP. listening to your last release, quite a few of their DJs would definitely be into this...

they have a whole guide on how best to submit to them which is pretty easy to find.

my wife/bandmate and i also have a modest little internet radio show, and i'd definitely be willing to play your stuff to our two or three listeners :fp:
I would love to be played on your show! :-*
What is it called/where to be found?

And thanks for the heads up to KEXP - I remember having read something like that in the past. Have to look that up again! :)

Yes, it‘s quite difficult - but I‘m willing to make the most out of it this time! I chuckled when I first heard someone say that you‘d have to spend about the same amount you spent for the whole production for promotion... but it actually might be somehow true.

noisepunk
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by noisepunk » Wed Aug 25, 2021 8:18 am

MayTheFuzzBeWithYou wrote:
Wed Aug 25, 2021 12:28 am
I would love to be played on your show! :-*
What is it called/where to be found?

And thanks for the heads up to KEXP - I remember having read something like that in the past. Have to look that up again! :)

Yes, it‘s quite difficult - but I‘m willing to make the most out of it this time! I chuckled when I first heard someone say that you‘d have to spend about the same amount you spent for the whole production for promotion... but it actually might be somehow true.
it's truly a rough landscape out there– we did everything we could afford for our last proper release, and even got ourselves onto some new music playlist on spotify which shot our plays up quite a bit, but even that ultimately didn't really amount to anything else.

our show is called waveless radio, it's on a little web radio station some uni friends set up called Jongleur... it's only been up a little over a month, and i have no idea how many people listen to any of the shows, ours included, but our show is focused around highlighting unknown, independent stuff that we're into, and unless your new record is pop-country or some other wild departure from the last release ;D , i'd be happy to share something from this when it comes out!