At which point do you start to talk to labels?

Favorite new record? Favorite old record? Got a band? Post it here.

What would you send to a label?

A rough mix
No votes
A finished mix
11%
A completely mixed and mastered final product
89%

Total votes: 9

øøøøøøø
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: At which point do you start to talk to labels?

Post by øøøøøøø » Tue Aug 22, 2023 8:29 am

Obviously it’s a matter of scale and it’s situational—there’s a lot the right record label can do for the right artist even in 2023

But at the beginning of a career (not chronologically, but in terms of audience reach) a “record label” is not generally part of the picture.

IME that’s generally the *last* piece of the puzzle. Booking, promotion, management (often in that order) generally come before a label is even in the conversation.

The good news is, it’s easier (and more valid) than ever to be in business substantially for yourself, and virtually any artist will begin this way. Label services companies, PR that you can hire yourself, etc… if done well, you’re not necessarily howling into the void. If the work is good and you move intelligently and consistently, you can make good and meaningful things happen

seenoevil II
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by seenoevil II » Tue Aug 22, 2023 9:54 am

øøøøøøø wrote:
Tue Aug 22, 2023 8:29 am

The good news is, it’s easier (and more valid) than ever to be in business substantially for yourself, and virtually any artist will begin this way. Label services companies, PR that you can hire yourself, etc… if done well, you’re not necessarily howling into the void. If the work is good and you move intelligently and consistently, you can make good and meaningful things happen
I'm gonna say that last line to myself in the mirror 5 times every morning. I really hope you're right. I'm currently filling a notebook with charts and scribbles of all the things I need to do as I get ready to take another stab at it with a new project.
If it wasn't for disappointment, I wouldn't have any appointments.

øøøøøøø
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by øøøøøøø » Tue Aug 22, 2023 10:47 am

Consistency is probably the most important one.

I’ve never yet been disciplined enough to focus on my own work with the consistency required—always too many easier paths that have me supporting others’ visions instead (not all bad)

But I’ve seen it over and over. Sometimes it takes a decade, but if someone knows who they are, what they’re after, and doesn’t wander in and out of focus… they almost invariably make it work eventually

marqueemoon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by marqueemoon » Tue Aug 22, 2023 11:14 am

øøøøøøø wrote:
Tue Aug 22, 2023 10:47 am
I’ve never yet been disciplined enough to focus on my own work with the consistency required—always too many easier paths that have me supporting others’ visions instead (not all bad)
This is me 100%.

On the business side of music I find it way easier to be a part of something I am a fan of that has its own momentum.

My own writing will probably continue to be its own weird thing that I don’t promote much. I need it as a release valve though.