Sonic Youth - Daydream nation turns 35 today...

Favorite new record? Favorite old record? Got a band? Post it here.
burpgun
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Sonic Youth - Daydream nation turns 35 today...

Post by burpgun » Fri Oct 20, 2023 9:02 am

Daydream Nation sure as hell changed my life, at least musically. I was already on board and familiar with Evol and Sister but ended up getting exposed to the album when I heard Teenage Riot played on a commercial radio station of all places, and it damn near took my head off. I'd argue this Daydream Nation is the peak for the band, the purest and best expression of what the did, although they still had some good albums left in them. I see Thurston is taking about possible but unlikely reunions as park of his book promotion and maybe it's just me, but I kind of think that's just not going to happen. Probably shouldn't either, they went out on a relative high note with the last two albums.

panoramic
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by panoramic » Fri Oct 20, 2023 9:21 am

burpgun wrote:
Fri Oct 20, 2023 9:02 am
Daydream Nation sure as hell changed my life, at least musically. I was already on board and familiar with Evol and Sister but ended up getting exposed to the album when I heard Teenage Riot played on a commercial radio station of all places, and it damn near took my head off. I'd argue this Daydream Nation is the peak for the band, the purest and best expression of what the did, although they still had some good albums left in them. I see Thurston is taking about possible but unlikely reunions as park of his book promotion and maybe it's just me, but I kind of think that's just not going to happen. Probably shouldn't either, they went out on a relative high note with the last two albums.
If they got together and played a tour of any of the big three albums I would absolutely pay a good chunk to see them one more time. Dirty, Goo or Daydream nation would have me buying in with no hesitation.
I used to be cool, now I just complain about prices.

UlricvonCatalyst
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by UlricvonCatalyst » Fri Oct 20, 2023 10:47 am

panoramic wrote:
Thu Oct 19, 2023 5:21 am
PorkyPrimeCut wrote:
Thu Oct 19, 2023 2:15 am
I love this album to bits (although Sister is my absolute favourite).

Long, long ago when I first got into indie music I visited family friends in London with my mum. One day I found a secondhand record shop & bought about 10 records based on very limited exposure (mainly John Peel and a new friend's record collection)...

Mudhoney - Burn In Clean EP
The Boo Radleys - Ichabod & I
SNFU - And No One Else Wanted to Play
Dead Kennedys - Fresh Fruit For Rotting Vegetables
Screaming Trees - Even If And Especially When
Dinosaur - Dinosaur
My Bloody Valentine - You Made Me Realise EP
Sonic Youth - Daydream Nation
...I need to try & remember the rest...

The turn of the 90s was such a special time for me musically & I can honestly say that I still listen to all but one of those bands above. Out of them all I think Sonic Youth gets the most play time & Daydream Nation was actually playing in my earphones a couple of days ago.
Yeah, I have a pretty similar story in a way. I got into skateboarding pretty heavily in 85/86 and naturally started to gravitate towards Descendents and Black Flag records but one day a record store worker told me to check out a few other bands : Minor Threat, Sonic Youth, Goverment Issue, the Faction, Dag Nasty, Pain Teens, Royal Trux, Misfits, Dinosaur and so on. I bought in pretty heavily on SY, Dinosaur Jr and Minor Threat at the time. Later he introduced me to Beat happening, Afghan Whigs, the Fluid, Soundgarden, etc.
I'm leaving off some bits about a local radio show that got me into a ton of bands way too early like the pixies and DK but that's another story.
That record store dude went on to own his own used store and I worked there for a summer. He's a great dude and was really fun to talk music with. He loves MC5 and Iggy more than anyone else I know.
My Sonic Youth origin story began at a Jesus & Mary Chain gig, when I handed a portastudio demo I'd made to Bobby Gillespie, who I'd read in the music press ran a club night in Glasgow. He told me the article was wrong and it was the Splash-One guys I should talk to, so I duly handed it over to one of them. It being the pre-internet age, I got a letter at my parents' address a couple of weeks later saying they liked my demo, and would we like to play a week on Sunday, supporting Sonic Youth.

I wrote back saying I didn't have a band, but if they gave me a few weeks I'd get one together and support someone else, but as Sonic Youth were only vaguely on my radar (a girl I was seeing at the time liked them, but I was pretty much blissfully unaware of their whole oeuvre) I thought I should check them out. As if by magick, John Peel played their current release a few nights later, which instantly lit my blue touch-paper. By the weekend I was the proud owner of the Halloween/Flower 12" which quickly became a regular fixture on my turntable along with Evol, which followed closely in its wake, along with the Starpower 7" which came with a badge, Evol poster and killer B-side.

Naturally, their entire back catalogue was soon in heavy rotation round my house and those of my inner circle. I'd already missed their Splash-One appearance, where they reportedly fried the house PA with their demand for more volume, but was lucky enough to see them at Rooftops soon afterwards, playing a set comprising pretty much all of Sister and Evol, still two of my all-time favourite LPs, and among the best gigs I've ever been to, or am ever likely to be at. Those wheelie-bins full of guitars made quite an impression on my fragile, eggshell mind. Even their roadies appeared super-cool, before the band even played a note.

No 35th anniversary hoo-hah for those two, as far as I was aware, so I guess the (red-looking) world prefers their breakthrough crossover moment. To be honest, I've lived through too many 20th/25th/30th/etc./etc. anniversary 'celebrations'/marketing exercises to care one way or another, but they'll always have a place in my heart and an influence on my taste in guitar music, and I'd still be thrilled if I ever got to meet Lee Ranaldo in person.

cestlamort
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by cestlamort » Sat Oct 21, 2023 12:27 pm

Hey Fender, I'd probably seriously consider a Moore or Ranaldo Jazzmaster reissue with Gibson Robot tuners (or equivalent).
(And then ultimately not buy it)

eggwheat
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by eggwheat » Sat Oct 21, 2023 1:14 pm

UlricvonCatalyst wrote:
Fri Oct 20, 2023 10:47 am

My Sonic Youth origin story began at a Jesus & Mary Chain gig, when I handed a portastudio demo I'd made to Bobby Gillespie, who I'd read in the music press ran a club night in Glasgow. He told me the article was wrong and it was the Splash-One guys I should talk to, so I duly handed it over to one of them. It being the pre-internet age, I got a letter at my parents' address a couple of weeks later saying they liked my demo, and would we like to play a week on Sunday, supporting Sonic Youth.

I wrote back saying I didn't have a band, but if they gave me a few weeks I'd get one together and support someone else, but as Sonic Youth were only vaguely on my radar (a girl I was seeing at the time liked them, but I was pretty much blissfully unaware of their whole oeuvre) I thought I should check them out. As if by magick, John Peel played their current release a few nights later, which instantly lit my blue touch-paper. By the weekend I was the proud owner of the Halloween/Flower 12" which quickly became a regular fixture on my turntable along with Evol, which followed closely in its wake, along with the Starpower 7" which came with a badge, Evol poster and killer B-side.

Naturally, their entire back catalogue was soon in heavy rotation round my house and those of my inner circle. I'd already missed their Splash-One appearance, where they reportedly fried the house PA with their demand for more volume, but was lucky enough to see them at Rooftops soon afterwards, playing a set comprising pretty much all of Sister and Evol, still two of my all-time favourite LPs, and among the best gigs I've ever been to, or am ever likely to be at. Those wheelie-bins full of guitars made quite an impression on my fragile, eggshell mind. Even their roadies appeared super-cool, before the band even played a note.

No 35th anniversary hoo-hah for those two, as far as I was aware, so I guess the (red-looking) world prefers their breakthrough crossover moment. To be honest, I've lived through too many 20th/25th/30th/etc./etc. anniversary 'celebrations'/marketing exercises to care one way or another, but they'll always have a place in my heart and an influence on my taste in guitar music, and I'd still be thrilled if I ever got to meet Lee Ranaldo in person.
Great story! I saw them in 1985 by pure chance...we were at the skatepark in Brighton when someone said there's a punk band playing on the seafront so we cycled down on our BMX's expecting to see Peter and the test tube babies and there we are met with the cacophony of Sonic Youth playing outside on seafront. I was very young but already a big PiL, Birthday Party, JAMC fan etc but it still went over my head in the main...I couldn't really make out what was going on..but I knew it was exciting and I've always been drawn to chaotic art and anything with an air of non-conformity. I remember a lot of confused faces at this performance. But anyway it was enough to make me order Bad Moon Rising which is still my favourite SY record. I went on to see SY on the 87 tour, a gig where Iggy came out and sang... probably the greatest gig I've ever seen..then back to London the next year for the Daydream Nation tour..the goo tour etc. I saw Sonic Youth for the final time in 1998.

I loved everything from Self Titled to Daydream Nation...after which for me it was a gradual downhill slide..though there are gems on every record. I can say I was obsessed with them for a good 5 years...1986-1991 or so. My band at the time used to cover White Cross, Eric's trip etc I might have to dig out the tapes ;D

UlricvonCatalyst
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by UlricvonCatalyst » Sun Oct 22, 2023 10:52 pm

^ ^

I think that Brighton Beach gig is on YouTube too. Truly their golden era as far as I'm concerned. Wish I'd been there to see it!

sal paradise
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by sal paradise » Sun Oct 22, 2023 11:21 pm

Going to go back this album today. I always thought it was too long & didn’t like the arty tracks. But when it’s good, it’s amazing.

I guess that’s my review of sonic youth in general.
I have nothing to offer anybody, except my own confusion?

Mighty_Zoltan
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Mighty_Zoltan » Mon Nov 06, 2023 12:13 am

eggwheat wrote:
Sat Oct 21, 2023 1:14 pm

Great story! I saw them in 1985 by pure chance...we were at the skatepark in Brighton when someone said there's a punk band playing on the seafront so we cycled down on our BMX's expecting to see Peter and the test tube babies and there we are met with the cacophony of Sonic Youth playing outside on seafront. I was very young but already a big PiL, Birthday Party, JAMC fan etc but it still went over my head in the main...I couldn't really make out what was going on..but I knew it was exciting and I've always been drawn to chaotic art and anything with an air of non-conformity. I remember a lot of confused faces at this performance. But anyway it was enough to make me order Bad Moon Rising which is still my favourite SY record. I went on to see SY on the 87 tour, a gig where Iggy came out and sang... probably the greatest gig I've ever seen..then back to London the next year for the Daydream Nation tour..the goo tour etc. I saw Sonic Youth for the final time in 1998.

I loved everything from Self Titled to Daydream Nation...after which for me it was a gradual downhill slide..though there are gems on every record. I can say I was obsessed with them for a good 5 years...1986-1991 or so. My band at the time used to cover White Cross, Eric's trip etc I might have to dig out the tapes ;D
Bought this on DVD recently at All Ages Records in London!

panoramic
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by panoramic » Wed Nov 08, 2023 6:24 am

Mighty_Zoltan wrote:
Mon Nov 06, 2023 12:13 am
eggwheat wrote:
Sat Oct 21, 2023 1:14 pm

Bought this on DVD recently at All Ages Records in London!
SICK, there is a video of their first gig I ever saw in 1990 Detroit at the latin quarter
https://www.youtube.com/watch?app=desktop&v=faqD_2r1PB8
I used to be cool, now I just complain about prices.

eggwheat
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by eggwheat » Thu Nov 09, 2023 4:59 am

UlricvonCatalyst wrote:
Sun Oct 22, 2023 10:52 pm
^ ^

I think that Brighton Beach gig is on YouTube too. Truly their golden era as far as I'm concerned. Wish I'd been there to see it!
Yeh a friend pointed it out to me a few years ago...couldn't believe footage actually existed. Crazy how today there seems to be a video or bootleg online of everything.

budda12ax7
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by budda12ax7 » Fri Nov 10, 2023 4:17 pm

Went from Goo to daydream to sister....then to the one after goo....can’t really get into the super early stuff....but I love Murray Street.

BoringPostcards
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by BoringPostcards » Sun Nov 12, 2023 4:54 am

Growing up on an island in the middle of nowhere (Newfoundland), I was late to a lot of music, as we only really had radio and a few record stores, but it was all Zeppelin, Hendrix and other Dad rock stuff like Foreigner that was sold in those places.
It wasn’t until I went to University in 2000, that I first heard Daydream Nation. It blew my mind. I followed it up by buying Sister and EVOL.
I had heard 100% and Kool Thing on TV, when I was in high school, but it didn’t strike me like Daydream Nation did. I didn’t even remember either song until years later when buying Goo and Dirty.

I agree that the Lee songs are the true gems on this album. I absolutely love the riffs in Hey Joni and Rain King.
Second to me are the Kim songs. Kissability and Cross the Breeze are amazing and full of great guitar parts.

I had been messing with open tunings for years before hearing SY, but they way they approached it was very new to me. I had been using mostly standard open tunings, such as open D, G and what not. I’ve since written a lot of riffs in SY style tunings.

I think Teenage Riot is one of the weakest songs on the record. I never got the love for that song, even upon first listen. It’s good, but Daydream Nation has way more to offer.

My personal music sounds nothing like SY, but I can say with complete honesty that they are my favourite band of all time, due to how influential they’ve been to my musical brain. I love every album right up until the end, but Daydream Nation is in my top 3 alongside Sister and Washing Machine.
Anyhow, happy 35 to a great album!!
Det er mig der holder traeerne sammen.

BoringPostcards
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by BoringPostcards » Sun Nov 12, 2023 4:59 am

budda12ax7 wrote:
Fri Nov 10, 2023 4:17 pm
Went from Goo to daydream to sister....then to the one after goo....can’t really get into the super early stuff....but I love Murray Street.
You may like the first self titled EP. It’s not noisy at all, and has some really good grooves on it. I dreamed I dream is worth a listen. It’s an incredible song. It’s their only album in standard tuning.
I totally get not being into Confusion is Sex. It can be pretty harsh on the ears. I love it though. So much chaos on that first full length. Kill yr Idols, Brother James, and the World looks Red are powerful songs, although they’re brutal in their own right.
Det er mig der holder traeerne sammen.