2 new British releases - Which one’s the worst?

Favorite new record? Favorite old record? Got a band? Post it here.
Dok
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: 2 new British releases - Which one’s the worst?

Post by Dok » Wed Jan 17, 2024 3:30 pm

That Squire/Gallagher song sounds like it was also recorded in the same railroad tunnel in which the video was filmed. You'd think these guys could afford some better production values.
Local milk person

eggwheat
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by eggwheat » Thu Jan 18, 2024 3:44 am

PorkyPrimeCut wrote:
Tue Jan 16, 2024 1:44 am
Personally, I find the Squire/Gallagher track too clunky. Like, the individual parts are good (although yeah, Liam's lyrics are pretty naff) but it doesn't gel. The drumming almost feels out of the groove & the guitar solo goes on far too long. John Squire clearly sounds like John Squire : Stone Roses Guitarist but he goes on far too long to get the point across.

As to the Ride track, it's just too synthy & cheesy for me. I'm hoping they'll come up with something better on the album but I won't hold my breath.
Yeh, I noticed that...the drumming sounded off so much it made me go and look up who the drummer is. Joey Waronker and star producer Greg Kurstin on bass..basically two session players. Thats probably why it sounds off.

I think Ride are just trying to do something different..Andy Bell is right into his synths and drum machines. Listen to his GLOK stuff.

PorkyPrimeCut
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by PorkyPrimeCut » Thu Jan 18, 2024 5:54 am

eggwheat wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2024 3:44 am
...star producer Greg Kurstin on bass...
Ah OK, it's not Barrie Cadogan on bass after all.
You think you can't, you wish you could, I know you can, I wish you would. Slip inside this house as you pass by.

mynameisjonas
Admin
Admin

Post by mynameisjonas » Thu Jan 18, 2024 9:30 am

That's definitely him in the video though, maybe he'll be part of the live band?

echobaseone
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by echobaseone » Thu Jan 18, 2024 11:57 am

Where is the 3:20 to Manchester Piccadilly when you need it? Insufferable baboon. Just watching him "stroll" down the tracks at the start of the vid got my hackles up.
Ride, meh. They had a few good tunes. But nowhere near the best of that era.

PorkyPrimeCut
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by PorkyPrimeCut » Thu Jan 18, 2024 1:05 pm

echobaseone wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2024 11:57 am
Ride, meh. They had a few good tunes. But nowhere near the best of that era.
I see what you did (or didn't) do there ;)
You think you can't, you wish you could, I know you can, I wish you would. Slip inside this house as you pass by.

eggwheat
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by eggwheat » Thu Jan 18, 2024 1:08 pm

PorkyPrimeCut wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2024 5:54 am
eggwheat wrote:
...star producer Greg Kurstin on bass...
Ah OK, it's not Barrie Cadogan on bass after all.
Not on the record...cant see Greg Kurstin touring, so yeh prob for the live band.

marqueemoon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by marqueemoon » Thu Jan 18, 2024 6:42 pm

eggwheat wrote:
PorkyPrimeCut wrote:
Tue Jan 16, 2024 1:44 am
Personally, I find the Squire/Gallagher track too clunky. Like, the individual parts are good (although yeah, Liam's lyrics are pretty naff) but it doesn't gel. The drumming almost feels out of the groove & the guitar solo goes on far too long. John Squire clearly sounds like John Squire : Stone Roses Guitarist but he goes on far too long to get the point across.

As to the Ride track, it's just too synthy & cheesy for me. I'm hoping they'll come up with something better on the album but I won't hold my breath.
Yeh, I noticed that...the drumming sounded off so much it made me go and look up who the drummer is. Joey Waronker and star producer Greg Kurstin on bass..basically two session players. Thats probably why it sounds off.

I think Ride are just trying to do something different..Andy Bell is right into his synths and drum machines. Listen to his GLOK stuff.
Joey Waronker is a fine drummer. Much better than fine.

Who knows how chopped and screwed that song is. They couldn’t even come up with a proper ending for it.

It just doesn’t even sound like they had any fun doing it.

s_mcsleazy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by s_mcsleazy » Fri Jan 19, 2024 1:25 am

you ever have one of those vocalists that's voice resonates at that exact frequency designed to piss you off? that's always been liam gallagher for me.
offset guitars resident bass player.
'Are you trying to seduce me Mrs Robinson? Or do you just want me to solder a couple of resistors into your Muff?'

interceptör
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by interceptör » Fri Jan 19, 2024 4:08 am

I hear the Oaquire song on the radio all the time and it neither bothers nor excites me, but now that I gave it a good listen, the sloppy noodling that's apparently supposed to pass as a guitar solo is really fucking cringeworthy.

The Ride song I found so incredily childish and irritating that had to quit in less than a minute, so I guess it's the winner.

Arthon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Arthon » Mon Jan 22, 2024 11:25 am

I am a big big BIG Oasis fan and a Ride and Stone Roses fan. I think I wouldn't play guitar if Oasis didnt exist.

That said, I dont like the 2 songs at all. The Ride song is cheesy at best. The Gallagher/Squire is like just Gallagher doing Gallagher singing and Squire doing Squire noodling. A paint by number song, Liam even sings the colors! :fp:

By the way, the lyrics were writing by Squire and not Gallagher.

I heard a extract of the next Squire/Gallagher song, "Mars to Liverpool". It could be better then "Just another rainbow"... not hard to do.
The Blues Cartographer
(sorry for the spelling, I speak french)

mediocreplayer
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mediocreplayer » Sun Mar 24, 2024 10:56 am

Arthon wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2024 11:25 am

I heard a extract of the next Squire/Gallagher song, "Mars to Liverpool". It could be better than "Just another rainbow"... not hard to do.
I just heard "Mars to Liverpool" and love it! Will check out the rest of the record.

crazyzeke
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by crazyzeke » Sun Mar 24, 2024 11:23 am

I did this backwards - I heard Mars To Liverpool first, a couple of weeks ago because a friend played it to me, and then checked out In Rainbows wait no, JAR. I think Radiohead's album is superior to that 🌈 song by the old Britpop boys. I prefer Mars To Liverpool but honestly if they're trying to do a Britpop revival it's a bit weak. I don't hate either but it's not even close to their best work is it?

I'm probably one of the few people who still likes a few Seahorses songs and I'd personally rather go back and listen to Love Is The Law and Blinded By The Sun than the JS/LG songs again. Better Britpop I reckon, around the time it had just finished peaking.

I like Oasis, but Blur were/are better. Yes I'm one of those people. Case in point, I own The Great Escape and Blur (1999) on vinyl but nothing by Oasis so I suppose that's where my loyalties lie. Having said that, Half The World Away is a great pop song worthy of John Lennon - Noel did have some belters, and most of them sound better when he takes lead vocal cos he's more plaintive than Liam, who swaggers to make up for the fact he basically doesn't know what vocal vibrato is ;D

Seriously, now I've mentioned it, go listen to Blur (1999). I'd pick their song M.O.R. over JAR although the video version I linked cos the video is stupid and fun, however, the album version of the song is the better one as the other one sounds like what they were probably doing - trying and failing to break the US market by making a heavier punkier version. They sing about that sort of stuff on Look Inside America which I love as Damon sounds so exhausted of touring, which fits the song.
"High yella high red high blue she blew
High Ella high Ella Guru"

- CAPTAIN BEEFHEART, "Ella Guru"

MechaBulletBill
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by MechaBulletBill » Sun Mar 24, 2024 11:50 am

Larry Mal wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2024 5:14 pm
MechaBulletBill wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2024 4:45 pm
jesus christ, that gallagher squire track... "waterfall II: wetter and fallier." stinks of bills to pay, put out the most obvious thing possible, get a cheque quickly. i like john squire a lot and have settled on being the person that thinks second coming is a good record and the first album, while it has a handful of properly good tunes on it, is not a good record because the dips dip so hard.

I'm the opposite, I've come to dislike the first record more and more over the years, it hasn't aged well, and a lot of it is embarrassing to me. I can't imagine listening to it again.
larry, i think we're actually in agreement!