Anyone here play stringed instruments (violin, cello etc)? Collaborators required.

Favorite new record? Favorite old record? Got a band? Post it here.
crazyzeke
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Anyone here play stringed instruments (violin, cello etc)? Collaborators required.

Post by crazyzeke » Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:59 am

Not sure exactly where to put this, topic wise, but this seems like the closest fit. If it's not I'm sure the mods can move it ;D

I'm in the process of building a group that's going to play original music only, an antidote to the myriad paid covers bands I've been a part of over many years. I'm sitting probably on a few album's worth of material already; one of the advantages of being a prolific writer, and I'm really just getting started. Some of the songs are already going through good quality demo stage - for example I already have 3 tracks that have all the guitars and vocals down and semi-completed mixes, just need drums added (on that already) plus some other parts, and I have placeholder organ/piano parts too as I play enough to get by in a mix. Also there's a bunch of acoustic demos that I want to turn into fully-fledged arranged songs. The project is only 3-4 weeks old but I don't mess around when I'm passionate about something!

Influences wise, it's pretty diverse. I wouldn't mind saying it's very Elvis Costello, Beatles, ELO at the more pop-rock end then Killing Joke, Catherine Wheel, Nirvana, Soundgarden at the hard-rock/grunge end but also includes stuff that's a lot more experimental or jazz, including Talk Talk's Spirit Of Eden and Steely Dan's Aja albums. Obviously this is a pretty broad list but what they all have in common is great arrangements, including brilliantly written and played parts that all interlock perfectly to make sonic soundscapes, sometimes dense sometimes sparse depending on the piece.

There's a limit to what I can play - guitar wise sure, I can cover that, I'm a good vocalist who can record/hamonise myself without cheating and using autotune, etc, I can do some keys work, I can produce/mix/master fairly well, that's fine. Yet for some of the songs I'm writing it needs more parts that are quite important and are going to include string sections, hopefully. I could program the strings using some kind of orchestral plugin, I'm sure, but to be honest collaboration really is in the spirit of this project. Plus, my ear is a bit tired of pop records with programmed everything - I'd like to literally keep it real, if possible. I've also considered that someone who is more classically trained is naturally going to bring in a separate and distinct set of talents I don't have, who is able to pick out different harmonies and counterpoints than someone like me who has mostly rock music roots in the writing and playing.

---

TL;DR

That's why after this longish wall of text I'm politely asking if there's anyone here who can play any of the following :- viola, violin, cello, double bass or similar - think string quartet type stuff (hence the mention of ELO earlier). Perhaps a soloist who is comfortable multi-tracking their own parts as I do with guitars. I want this to be a true collaboration where creative contributions are heeded and tried, not dropping a score in front of someone, otherwise that's just session work. Someone who wants to make diverse, interesting, catchy pop records with a decent layer of sophisticated melody and harmony like they used to, before it all got dumbed down to lowest common denominator Swifty style I-VI-IV-V simplicity. My argument is yes you can do that now and then, but at least dress it up a bit!

So if anyone's interested please let me know. If you're UK based there's a good chance I can record with the person in question directly, if not doing it digitally and sharing mixes via Dropbox or Google Drive etc would be fine. I'm flexible. I don't really expect many if any replies; not being pessimistic, just realistic, but I figured it makes sense to start looking now, at the start of the project, and this is the first step.
"High yella high red high blue she blew
High Ella high Ella Guru"

- CAPTAIN BEEFHEART, "Ella Guru"

marqueemoon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Anyone here play stringed instruments (violin, cello etc)? Collaborators required.

Post by marqueemoon » Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:42 am

I play a little viola, but I’m rusty enough that it would take more time than I realistically have to get decent takes.

crazyzeke
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Anyone here play stringed instruments (violin, cello etc)? Collaborators required.

Post by crazyzeke » Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:58 am

marqueemoon wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:42 am
I play a little viola, but I’m rusty enough that it would take more time than I realistically have to get decent takes.
Wow. That's cool. 8)

This project is on a longer time scale so there's no rush with that if you'd like to give it a try. For example, my placeholder bass takes need to be replaced by the actual bassist (he's like "give me the exact chords so I can work the bassline around the chordal harmony" and has already written better parts, what a pro). Oh and I'm waiting patiently on the drummer to send me some draft takes; I'm sure they'll be great as he's a drum teacher among other things, so it's a gradual process. The aims are a) be fun, b) no stress, c) make records everyone involved can be proud of. Oh and I guess for me on vocals personally, d) no autotune ;D

Please PM me if you'd like to hear some demos or what have you, we'll work something out. 🍻

marqueemoon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by marqueemoon » Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:45 pm

I think I’m just too busy and too rusty to be effective right now. I really should make time to practice though. When I’m too old to play in bands it could be really fun to do remote string arrangement recording for people.

I generally don’t like the sound of pitch correction on my own voice, but I’m not philosophically opposed. There’s a time and a place for it, and with tools like Melodyne you can be pretty much invisible with it. To me it’s not about making a performance perfect. Sometimes vocals that are naturally pitch perfect can come at the expense of vibe.

crazyzeke
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by crazyzeke » Sun Mar 31, 2024 6:12 pm

marqueemoon wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:45 pm
There’s a time and a place for it, and with tools like Melodyne you can be pretty much invisible with it. To me it’s not about making a performance perfect. Sometimes vocals that are naturally pitch perfect can come at the expense of vibe.
Agreed, but with work you can get great vibe on vocals and have them stay mostly dead-on pitch. I say mostly because no singer can nail it every single note (some will be off by a few cents), but many can get close enough you can't tell. I find it works best to do one vocal session for one song and for the lead vocal break it down into chunks (verse one, chorus, verse two, next chorus etc) and don't mess with mic placement or settings on the preamp etc to keep the tone consistent.

One of the reasons I say I like to avoid it is you lose the beautiful natural chorus/phasing effect you get by stacking doubled/tripled versions of very tightly performed vocals in multiple ranges together. A track I did recently puts this to good use - I nearly flipped out when I listened to a semi-mixed version back with all the stacked harmonies phasing like a Queen record. Fifteen years ago I could barely sing at all so it was a big moment, knowing I could do that.

If you do get up to speed on viola let me know, always enjoy working with new people. There are many months before I want the album done and it's not on a timescale, really more of a "let's see if we can get it done before end of 2024". I'd be more interested in getting two of the best songs finished and having a 7" 45 record pressed. Double A side 😂.