Bad Religion's SUFFER album as template for modern punk

Favorite new record? Favorite old record? Got a band? Post it here.
cestlamort
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Bad Religion's SUFFER album as template for modern punk

Post by cestlamort » Tue Apr 09, 2024 9:22 am

Worth mentioning that regionalism was still a major thing in that era. Bad Religion, Descendents, NOFX, Offspring, Pennywise, Big Drill Car, et al were all LA/California vs. Minneapolis (Hüsker Dü, Replacements), DC (Rites of Spring, Dag Nasty, Government Issue), Montreal (Doughboys, Nils), BC (DOA, Subhumans, nomeansno), Chicago (Naked Raygun, Effigies, Big Black) etc. Ultimately, “California” was the one later bands adopted. (Forking with “Seattle” for the post-Stooges/Sonics take).

Didn’t Brett from BR record most/all of the epitaph stuff? The engineers, producers, etc also matter.

blacktiger
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by blacktiger » Tue Apr 09, 2024 2:58 pm

Arguably, all pop punk can be traced back to The Buzzcocks or The Descendents. Of course, Keith Morris (who has been friends with Bill since the ‘70s) recently said that the Descendents were never a punk band. There was also a lot of very melodic punk coming out of Orange County going back to the ‘70s. If Bad Religion set the bar for pop punk going forward from the late ‘80s, that feels more like an accusation than a point of pride. Then again, outside of a few bands or songs, I was never much of a fan of pop punk…
Thread killer

interceptör
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by interceptör » Tue Apr 09, 2024 9:17 pm

blacktiger wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2024 2:58 pm
If Bad Religion set the bar for pop punk going forward from the late ‘80s, that feels more like an accusation than a point of pride.
Yeah that would be something that should be debated at the Hague instead of OSG, but I think we're talking about skate punk or some such here.

stevejamsecono
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by stevejamsecono » Wed Apr 10, 2024 6:09 am

interceptör wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2024 9:17 pm
blacktiger wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2024 2:58 pm
If Bad Religion set the bar for pop punk going forward from the late ‘80s, that feels more like an accusation than a point of pride.
Yeah that would be something that should be debated at the Hague instead of OSG, but I think we're talking about skate punk or some such here.
Honestly I don't think skatepunk is any better. Both styles suffer from extreme musical inbreeding from both a production and musicianship standpoint that for me personally is incredibly tedious to listen to.

and I do want to stress -- I like punk and it's been incredibly important to my own development as a musician. I just feel like over time it really smoothed all the interesting edges off the music and the bands in it that were most interesting seemed to 'graduate' to alternative rock or other genres once they realized they could play different kinds of music with the same level of intent and intensity.
And you find out life isn't like that
It's so hard to understand
Why the world is your oyster but your future's a clam

Resident Yamaha Fanboy

COYS

Ceylon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Ceylon » Thu Apr 11, 2024 4:41 am

stevejamsecono wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2024 6:09 am
and I do want to stress -- I like punk and it's been incredibly important to my own development as a musician. I just feel like over time it really smoothed all the interesting edges off the music and the bands in it that were most interesting seemed to 'graduate' to alternative rock or other genres once they realized they could play different kinds of music with the same level of intent and intensity.
Oh absolutely.
Science Friction burns my fingers
Electricity still lingers

interceptör
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by interceptör » Thu Apr 11, 2024 7:39 am

stevejamsecono wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2024 6:09 am
Well yeah, despite of what I may or may not have said above, I can guarantee I love punk as much if not more than any other OSGer, it's just that it usually becomes interesting right at the point where it becomes "not punk".

JSett
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JSett » Thu Apr 11, 2024 12:33 pm

interceptör wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2024 7:39 am
the point where it becomes "not punk".
Careful, you'll accidentally get into the 'what is or isn't punk' debate that simply cannot be decided on. Total minefield and hot subject of likely millions of fruitless debates across the world in the last 40+ years among music dorks.

Punk is almost undefinable.
Silly Rabbit, don't you know scooped mids are for kids?

interceptör
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by interceptör » Thu Apr 11, 2024 2:22 pm

JSett wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2024 12:33 pm
interceptör wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2024 7:39 am
the point where it becomes "not punk".
Punk is almost undefinable.
Wir sind Wittgenstein.

budda12ax7
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by budda12ax7 » Fri Apr 12, 2024 8:20 am

Didn’t Brett from BR record most/all of the epitaph stuff? The engineers, producers, etc also matter.
[/quote]

A little murky info on this.....yes he had the Epitaph recording studio going (WestBeach).....but I am sure he used a drum machine/programing on Suffer and maybe some other releases...the guitar sound is very neat with a certain tone....all those band sounded similar up to a point.

The Descendents -Everything Sucks I think was recorded there....