Re: Miles Davis..

Favorite new record? Favorite old record? Got a band? Post it here.
Amber
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Miles Davis..

Post by Amber » Wed May 23, 2007 3:26 pm

Anyone like Miles Davis here? It reminds me of Blade Runner for some reason.

I really love Bitches Brew and Aura. I've tried other Jazz but it's all to Jazz clubby for me. Miles Davis makes me think of some old school detective or something.

His music seems really free like it has a life itself.

Ursoluno
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Ursoluno » Wed May 23, 2007 7:07 pm

Amber wrote: I really love Bitches Brew and Aura. I've tried other Jazz but it's all to Jazz clubby for me. Miles Davis makes me think of some old school detective or something.
Buy John Coltrane's "Ascension."

Buy Peter Brötzmann's "Machine Gun."

Buy anything by Kaoru Abe.

You'll find those artists to be rather un "Jazz clubby."
...purple attics, purple helixes, vacuum cleaners, and cement.

flatfiver
Expat
Expat

Post by flatfiver » Wed May 23, 2007 10:15 pm

If I could only listen to one musician for the rest of my life, it would probably be Miles Davis.  I think everyone needs to own at least 2 copies of Kind Of Blue - seriously.
Last edited by flatfiver on Thu May 24, 2007 9:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zen & the Art of Jazzmaster Maintenance

PorkyPrimeCut
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by PorkyPrimeCut » Thu May 24, 2007 12:24 am

Kind Of Blue is brilliant.

In A Silent Way is even better...IMO
You think you can't, you wish you could, I know you can, I wish you would. Slip inside this house as you pass by.

zhivago
Mods
Mods

Post by zhivago » Thu May 24, 2007 2:32 am

I like some of the stuff I've heard....from Coltrane too....I think I have to get some full albums....

I too like the more "detective in film noir" sound :)
Resident Spartan.

fuzzking
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by fuzzking » Thu May 24, 2007 2:37 am

Coltrane -> "Sun Ship". Guaranteed to be givin' you the willies.
Nobody exists on purpose.

TheodorJ

Post by TheodorJ » Thu May 24, 2007 8:04 am

I think you should try "Head Hunters" by Herbie Hancok (fusion) and "The Shape Of Jazz To Come" by Ornette Coleman (free jazz). Two of my favourite jazz albums of all time.

Ursoluno
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Ursoluno » Thu May 24, 2007 8:12 am

Oh yeah.  Albert Ayler, too.

His music sounds like a New Orleans brass band getting gang raped.
...purple attics, purple helixes, vacuum cleaners, and cement.

fuzzking
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by fuzzking » Thu May 24, 2007 8:35 am

Ursoluno wrote: Oh yeah.  Albert Ayler, too.

His music sounds like a New Orleans brass band getting gang raped.
Have to check that out!
Nobody exists on purpose.

flatfiver
Expat
Expat

Post by flatfiver » Thu May 24, 2007 9:29 pm

PorkyPrimeCut wrote: Kind Of Blue is brilliant.

In A Silent Way is even better...IMO
In A Silent Way is my #2, I think.  Milestones is also classic, but I think I like the rest of the band more than Miles on that album.  I need to dig into his '60s and '70s stuff a little more.
Zen & the Art of Jazzmaster Maintenance

glimmertwin
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by glimmertwin » Thu May 24, 2007 10:58 pm

...for that noir type of sound, try that Chet Baker album that was the music for the movie the James Dean Story.  It's not great jazz, but definetly sounds like the soundtrack for a tragic movie(which it was I guess)....also give a try to early Chico Hamilton when he played with Eric Dolphy.  They had a cello player(Fred Katz) who really augmented the traditional jazz sound. 

Bitches Brew stuff doesn't make me think of old detective movies but if your into Bitches Brew type stuff, in addition to some of the good suggestions already mentioned...Eric Truffaz's 2000 album the Mask(on blue note) is along those same lines - very moody pieces.  Sun Ra also had a lot of music like this, but from a discography perspective it's tough to pinpoint a single album(dare I say get the greatest hits album?).  He pressed his own recordings and was notorious for taking sessions from years earlier and packaging them with more recent sessions so you get these weird albums with avant garde music, free jazz, doo wop, classic hard bop, and maybe some soul jazz.  His discs are unfocused but from a song perspective, he made some AMAZING songs - you just have to be ready for anything.  Other guys to keep an eye out for - watch for names like Pharoah Sanders, Andrew Hill, Freddie Hubbard, Art Ensemble of Chicago, Don Cherry, Wayne Shorter(he made some brilliant albums -  Moto Grosso Feio is very similar to Bitches Brew), and Charles Mingus.  With the exception of Mingus/Sun Ra(both did their own thing), and Truffaz(who is newer), the rest of those guys tended to follow the normal jazz progression so in the late 60s/early 70s you will hear very similar music to what Miles was doing.

...as far as Miles' own discography goes, I have the Bitches Brew Box set(best Christmas present ever) and it is freaking amazing.  I also really really really like On the Corner from 72.  It's a lot more funky, but it has this living and breathing quality that Bitches Brew had.  It starts off as the though the band were already in the middle of an amazingly long jam session - just this electric feeling in the airl - great album!  Get Up with it is decent too.  In a Silent Way is okay, but it's not my fav or anything...there is also a really good remix album from Bill Laswell called "Panthalassa-The Music Of Miles Davis 1969-1974: Reconstruction & Mix Translation By Bill Laswell".  I highly recommend it to those interested in that period Miles. 

Best of luck and let me know if you need any more jazz recommendations - I could go all day.
"I enjoy the current state of offsetguitars hostility."

Amber
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Amber » Fri May 25, 2007 1:04 am

Hmmm, I'll give it a go. I'd like to hear Blade Runner soundtrack type stuff played with jazz instruments. Some Miles Davis stuff reminds me of that.

Does it sound like I'm asking for a Pirate board game for someone aged between 10-12?

Orang Goreng
Mods
Mods

Post by Orang Goreng » Fri May 25, 2007 1:57 am

Margaret! MARGARET!!!
In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man's a freak.

i love sharin foo
Mods
Mods

Post by i love sharin foo » Fri May 25, 2007 8:52 am

When it comes to Miles, I prefer Dark Magus and Live Evil to the earlier material. I know it's a sacrilege  but what can I say  :) Kind of Blue is definitely a fine record, but it just doesn't resonate with me like the electric stuff.

Justin
A death’s head ring upon his finger

light years
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by light years » Sat May 26, 2007 3:01 pm

FUZZ_KING wrote: Coltrane -> "Sun Ship". Guaranteed to be givin' you the willies.
i love "meditations" more :) big fun by miles is a brilliant album. "get up with it"  shakes ass too.