How much music on your Itunes?

Favorite new record? Favorite old record? Got a band? Post it here.
idiotbear

Re: How much music on your Itunes?

Post by idiotbear » Thu May 31, 2007 5:13 am

I've got to ask - why does that bother you?

chrisjedijane
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by chrisjedijane » Thu May 31, 2007 5:41 am

idiotbear wrote: There is no irony in my love of half of Bryan Adams's "Reckless" album - I think it's great.
Me too! (tweez, don't tell the MBV guys!)

I'll agree with Tom - I hate music being labelled as "indie" when it's nothing of the sort. There's nothing independent about Arctic Monkeys, Kooks, Razorlight, Snow Patrol or anything, but it still gets referred to as that when in fact it's just corporate pop-rock.
"we lack the motion to move to the new beat"

Tweez
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Tweez » Thu May 31, 2007 6:37 am

idiotbear wrote: I've got to ask - why does that bother you?
Becuase I'm an elitist twat.

It kindof destroys indie for me, I love Pavement, Archers of Loaf, Mock Orange etc but this new stuff takes their memory and rubs it in shit. All the people labelling themselves as indie will be gone as soon as the next fad comes along though. It's not about the music it's about fashion.

I got infuriated this afternoon when I watched Big Brother, this drongo called Emily on her video goes 'There's a new musical phase sweeping Britain, it's called INDIE! I'm an Indie Rock Queen' DIE.

PorkyPrimeCut
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by PorkyPrimeCut » Thu May 31, 2007 7:02 am

I have to agree with Tweez when it comes to over use of terms like Indie. I too will happily admit to being a complete musical snob.

I'd happily sit back & watch bombs drop on the likes of Britney & Miss Aguilera (filled with manure, not high explosives!!)

As for pigeon-holing, its inevitable. I guess New Rave is the latest (or is it). It makes it easier too describe a style without sounding like a twat.

I don't mind admitting to liking more Chartsy stuff, I just can't think of any right now.....oh, that Orson song thats kinda 80's Power Rock (pigeon-hole D4) is quite funny.
You think you can't, you wish you could, I know you can, I wish you would. Slip inside this house as you pass by.

idiotbear

Post by idiotbear » Thu May 31, 2007 10:03 am

Tweez wrote:
idiotbear wrote: I've got to ask - why does that bother you?
Becuase I'm an elitist twat.

It kindof destroys indie for me, I love Pavement, Archers of Loaf, Mock Orange etc but this new stuff takes their memory and rubs it in shit. All the people labelling themselves as indie will be gone as soon as the next fad comes along though. It's not about the music it's about fashion.

I got infuriated this afternoon when I watched Big Brother, this drongo called Emily on her video goes 'There's a new musical phase sweeping Britain, it's called INDIE! I'm an Indie Rock Queen' DIE.

;D ;D ;D

OK, I can see why the last thing annoys you, and I guess we're all pretty snobby about some stuff. I'm snobby about music too, just not particularly in a genre-based way. I don't really identify strongly with any particular genre, so the (mis)appropriation of "indie" by the Kooks and their many clones doesn't fuck me off too much. For me, the Kooks and Razorlight are shit regardless of what genre they claim to be.

Naturality
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Naturality » Thu May 31, 2007 10:16 am

Tweez wrote: I got infuriated this afternoon when I watched Big Brother, this drongo called Emily on her video goes 'There's a new musical phase sweeping Britain, it's called INDIE! I'm an Indie Rock Queen' DIE.
I got infuriated when I heard Big Brother was coming back!    ;D  Those are the people who have degraded our understanding of definition and usage.
idiotbear wrote: For me, the Kooks and Razorlight are shit regardless of what genre they claim to be.
That's true for most people I think!  ;D

I just don't like the whole 'You can hear the fret buzz on my guitar but that doesn't matter' with loads treble thing. Just sounds like what it is... bad playing!

luau
Admin
Admin

Post by luau » Thu May 31, 2007 11:09 am

I dislike Apple and have 0 need for a portable player, so no iWhatever for me.

I've got a couple hundred GB of flac, a few GB of ogg, and a few mp3s that haven't yet been converted to formats unencumbered by patents and other proprietary tomfoolery yet. I've got a VIA EPIA-based computer in the living room plugged directly into the receiver and TV.

As for music labels/categories, I'm only aware of two: The "I like" category and the "This blows" category. For me, mainstream music falls in the latter category. I appreciate a good pop song, a powerful voice, clever lyrics and blazing guitar scree, but that's not enough to stay out of my "This blows" category.

"Indie" means exactly as much now as "grunge" did in 1993: Nothing. I went through the frustration that MTV and schlock bands like Stone Temple Pilots caused then with 'grunge'. I refuse to go through it again with 'indie'. :D
Bigger in sum than parts.

Tweez
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Tweez » Thu May 31, 2007 1:11 pm

PorkyPrimeCut wrote: I have to agree with Tweez when it comes to over use of terms like Indie. I too will happily admit to being a complete musical snob.

I'd happily sit back & watch bombs drop on the likes of Britney & Miss Aguilera (filled with manure, not high explosives!!)

As for pigeon-holing, its inevitable. I guess New Rave is the latest (or is it). It makes it easier too describe a style without sounding like a twat.

I don't mind admitting to liking more Chartsy stuff, I just can't think of any right now.....oh, that Orson song thats kinda 80's Power Rock (pigeon-hole D4) is quite funny.
Yeah pigeon holings are inevitable, but NME seem intent on labeling anything and everything 'Indie' these days, even the Twatellis, I mean come on...

As for chartsy stuff I have to admit to liking Duran Duran's 80's stuff.

StevenO
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by StevenO » Thu May 31, 2007 3:54 pm

I've created a monster!

Pumpkin
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Pumpkin » Thu May 31, 2007 6:29 pm

No Itunes but i have enough music on my laptop to make it run slow as fuck periodically.
I have 25 hours of sonic youth and dinosaur jr alone, dont know the total days (that would mean lookin) but i need an external drive bad.
Its all limewire,bittorrent and cd rips.

BenHagerty

Post by BenHagerty » Fri Jun 01, 2007 12:42 pm

Same here about the mainsteam thing (I don't listen) I mean I can appreciate the talent involved and respect that, but it is just not for me.