Jane Weaver - The Silver Globe

Favorite new record? Favorite old record? Got a band? Post it here.
shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Jane Weaver - The Silver Globe

Post by shadowplay » Wed May 11, 2016 7:15 am

Jaguar018 wrote:
I think I am always going to miss Broadcast and regret the unfortunate death of Trish. I am so glad I got to see them a few times, and I will always long for that special thing the band had.
I'm still sad too and in some ways slightly angry since she is a prime example of the importance of getting into bands while they are still making music and not waiting until they are suddenly news in death and spoonfed to you. I console myself with the thought that Trish really does have a legacy and in many ways she's the sun signing down on some of the new shoots, giving them a better chance of blooming.

D
Are you loathsome tonight?

Shadoweclipse13
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Shadoweclipse13 » Wed May 11, 2016 9:34 am

That's really sad that she died young. She's got a great voice. I'm listening to the youtube playlist of Haha Sound while packing some stuff at the apartment and I really like it. It's really chill and for me, very reminiscent of what I consider to sound like the late 60's/early 70s (since I wasn't born until May of 1986 :D ). I'm usually very good at defining a genre and this is very hard to pinpoint, but I like it ;D
Pickup Switching Mad Scientist
http://www.offsetguitars.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=104282&p=1438384#p1438384

fakeplasticdreams
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by fakeplasticdreams » Wed May 11, 2016 5:20 pm

Jaguar018 wrote:
I think I am always going to miss Broadcast and regret the unfortunate death of Trish. I am so glad I got to see them a few times, and I will always long for that special thing the band had.

the biggest heartbreak for me is that Broadcast was supposed to play in my town, the show got cancelled for whatever reason and 2 weeks later she passed. :'( :'(

mezcalhead
Admin
Admin

Post by mezcalhead » Thu May 12, 2016 1:53 am

This is great - heavy channelling of my beloved Stereolab (motorik beat and interwoven female voices) plus a heaping side order of double extra 60s pop.

Trish Keenan was definitely taken from us too soon and had a lot of good work left to do. There was an excellent Wire article on them quite a while back which was how I first heard about them, while they were both living in complete poverty in some obscure bit of Birmingham and making the most incredible music.
Distance-crunching honcho with echo unit.

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Thu May 12, 2016 3:22 am

mezcalhead wrote:there was an excellent Wire article on them quite a while back which was how I first heard about them, while they were both living in complete poverty in some obscure bit of Birmingham and making the most incredible music.
They actually moved away from Birmingham to save money, to Hungerford in Berkshire (local landmark Combe Gibbet is featured on some of the 'Witch Cults' sleeve imagery). They even reconfigured the band and the sound to reflect economic circumstances, though the resulting Tender Buttons is a gem. I've typed enough theories on the band on here for a lifetime but one of the things that drew me right into them way back when I bought those first few sevens, is that they seemed to exist on an alternative timeline, a timeline where all the rawkers yer uncle stuck his thumb in his belt loops for didn't break through and pop became more mysterious, more cerebral and had less socks stuffed down it's trousers, less lighters aloft, less 'Barbarian Spew'. They also proved that you can hold up a mirror to the past and see a modernist reflection and for me personally it was just great to see a group that seemed to have a similar life experience to me. For years I'd tried to engage anyone who was boring me about Star Wars* in chat about The Changes, or Sky, the Owl Service (look at the intro and see what I am talking about regarding the influence on Broadcast, thematically and sonically and you'll know what Zener card I'm holding up if you spot the Jon Brooks reference too), or Children of the Stones and the sort of Sci-fi I enjoyed at the time, only to be met with blank stares and it was great to read interviews and later on get to know people who were into similar things.

Anyway, probably unfair on Jane to go into this here, Jane's great but she's a product of a different set of influences, some overlapping, some outside the Broadcast Magic Hour, she's certainly more rock with a small 'r' and she's IMO more along the lines of someone like Kate Bush. She doesn't sound like her at all but she's got that thing where she shifts styles between albums, while building on her past works and she's quite conceptual. IMO Jane's still developing, she made a huge jump with 'The Fallen By Watchbird', another jump with The Silver Globe and I think she'll do the same again. She's been around for a long time but she's got kids and it's broken her career(s) up.

D

*yes and before jaguar018 says it, this isn't unlike how I handle someone talking about flipping Nevermind. I.E. I wonder if anyone preferred Love's Secret Domain. :w00t:

Jaguar018
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Jaguar018 » Thu May 12, 2016 4:51 am

Shadowplay is correct! It is tiresome to hear people talking about the same damned bands over and over... unless it's a band I love!!! I can totally talk about Broadcast until the cows come home. :D I really enjoy the fact that my musical appreciating background is chock full of bands and genres that Shadowplay generally disdains (Grunge, some of the biggest names of classic rock, etc.) yet we have this unifying band that we both hold in very high esteem. I have managed to befriend a few of my favorite (small indierock type) US-based bands. I got some Stereolab autographs back in the day :blush: and blew a chance to eat gyros with them-- but I did talk to Tim Gane about Jaguars once. I wish I got to be friends with Broadcast. If I lived in the UK I would have tracked them down for sure.

I agree with Shadow about Jane Weaver having a few, but generally minimal, overlapping influences. Way more straight-ahead rock stuff.

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Thu May 12, 2016 5:04 am

^^^

Did you check out The Owl Service Intro? I think looking at that might fill in a lot of the blanks for some people who don't hail from this green and pleasant land and you'll definitely get the Jon Brooks (Advisory Circle) lift.

D

Jaguar018
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Jaguar018 » Thu May 12, 2016 5:19 am

shadowplay wrote:^^^

Did you check out The Owl Service Intro? I think looking at that might fill in a lot of the blanks for some people who don't hail from this green and pleasant land and you'll definitely get the Jon Brooks (Advisory Circle) lift.
Holy shit. Yeah. It really is a puzzle piece. :D

Now you need to watch some Russ Meyer movies to start appreciating grunge and the vast deserts of America? :mellow:

mezcalhead
Admin
Admin

Post by mezcalhead » Thu May 12, 2016 5:51 am

shadowplay wrote:For years I'd tried to engage anyone who was boring me about Star Wars* in chat about The Changes, or Sky
By Sky, I take it you don't mean John Williams' instrumental band?

shadowplay wrote:the Owl Service (look at the intro and see what I am talking about regarding the influence on Broadcast, thematically and sonically and you'll know what Zener card I'm holding up if you spot the Jon Brooks reference too)
I didn't know they made a TV show out of that! I remember reading the book as a kid. I tried to reread Red Shift a year or two ago, it is hard going if you try to take it all in. Alan Garner is amazing, he's like some kind of shaman that can connect the now with the distant past.

Anyway, yeah I don't want to sidetrack too far from Jane's work. The other tracks on the Wizard's Sleeve soundcloud make it sound like the Soft Bounce album will be definitely worth getting, although I'm guessing Jane is only on that one track.

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Thu May 12, 2016 6:03 am

mezcalhead wrote:
shadowplay wrote:For years I'd tried to engage anyone who was boring me about Star Wars* in chat about The Changes, or Sky
By Sky, I take it you don't mean John Williams' instrumental band?
this is SKY!

btw The Owl Service TV Series is really good.

D

mezcalhead
Admin
Admin

Post by mezcalhead » Thu May 12, 2016 6:07 am

Ah OK, but dammit I just finishing watching the Mad Death and I have work to do!

:)

electric12
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by electric12 » Sat May 14, 2016 12:08 am

I am ashamed to admit that I only discovered Broadcast recently after watching the film 'Berberian Sound Studio' to which they provided the soundtrack.
I quickly sought out the albums and love them... I'm gutted that I missed out on them before Trish Keenan's untimely death.

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Fri May 19, 2017 2:33 am

Modern Kosmology just fluttered down on the Shadowplay doormat this fine morning. Halfway through the second play and really liking it, not as much genre fluidity as The Silver Globe and much more of small g guitar record with quite a Sterolab feel in places with Did You See Butterfiles flying very close to the Fluorescences sun and The Lightning Back certainly conjures visions of Tender Buttons. Other tracks flirt with into gauzy chamber prog and retromodern electropop but all in all it hangs together beautifully.

I really like Ravenspoint with it's Malcom Mooney cameo, it's almost into Ghost territory and the the propulsive kosmische disko of The Architect.

Whole thing on Bandcamp to stream Jane Weaver - Modern Kosmology

D

mezcalhead
Admin
Admin

Post by mezcalhead » Sat May 20, 2017 5:14 am

Sounds like a winner, will order.

mezcalhead
Admin
Admin

Post by mezcalhead » Wed Sep 06, 2017 12:57 pm

I found this, which is great:

Jane Weaver live from Old Granada Studios

shadowplay wrote:quite a Stereolab feel in places with Did You See Butterfiles flying very close to the Fluorescences sun
Yes, I spotted that immediately and it's such a direct quote that I'm sure it was a deliberate tip of the hat.