What's your first memory of music?

Favorite new record? Favorite old record? Got a band? Post it here.
andrewdoeshair
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: What's your first memory of music?

Post by andrewdoeshair » Wed Apr 20, 2016 4:07 pm

My parents listened to a lot of oingo boingo and as a small child I liked the high energy- that's one of the early memories, feeling all hyped up and energetic when a faster boingo song would come on. Around that time my sister was maybe 15 or 16 (I was 5 or 6) and she listened to a lot of Nirvana. She didn't like me messing with her stuff and I was always a little afraid of her like she was going to pull my ear or something, but when she'd play nirvana loud in her room I would sit outside the door to listen, worried that she would open the door and flick me in the head. I remember Kurt singing about a gun and thinking something like "this must be criminal music" like it was just super bad ass. One other music memory around then was these kids across the street who were maybe 13, who would just sit in the yard to rev their dirt bikes when they weren't skateboarding on their ghetto half pipe. Those guys would always play Alice In Chains or Metallica really loud while they were smoking cigarettes and being badasses. I thought they were the coolest guys on the planet. I still feel like a bad ass when I listen to Man In The Box because of those guys.
If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe. - Carl Sagan

dinosaurkale->
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by dinosaurkale-> » Wed Apr 20, 2016 5:00 pm

the rhythm of my dad's sperm sloshing around in my momma's you know what

pacemaker
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by pacemaker » Wed Apr 20, 2016 5:27 pm

The Fisher Price clock song, which always seemed a little melancholy to me.
Singing "Nowhere Man" while riding my bike down my street back home.
My Mom playing Carole King's "Tapestry" over and over after my parents got divorced.
My Mom and stepdad blasting Elton John's "Greatest Hits" (1974) on my stepdad's Dual 1019 through Advent speakers.
Playing the singles for "Wreck of The Edmund Fitzgerald" and he Meco "Star Wars Theme/Cantina Band" on my crappy kids' record player.
Watching the "Heart of Glass" video by Blondie and being all :w00t:

brucer
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by brucer » Wed Apr 20, 2016 5:42 pm

My first real music memory is The Standells - Dirty Water: https://youtu.be/kqKHqWaTv9g. Google tells me that song came out the year I was born, but memory being what it is and my vinyl hound brother being only a little over 10 years older ... I'm guessing I must have been 4 or so when I registered hearing it.
Blank.

mezcalhead
Admin
Admin

Post by mezcalhead » Mon Apr 25, 2016 2:16 am

andy_tchp wrote:For me, it can only be the climax section of "Appalachian Spring" composed by Aaron Copland being played at tremendous volume on the stereo in our living room by my father.
Great stuff. Adapted from a Shaker hymn, isn't it? the same one that supplied the melody for "Lord of the Dance".

My first musical memories are a mix of nursery rhymes, hippie songs sung by the teachers at my primary school, and all sorts of classical and jazz that Dad would have on the go. I specifically remember Peter And The Wolf that Dad would put on for me and my sister.

I also remember being very young (3?) singing melodies and intervals in my head and trying to figure out why they were different, what is a note and what makes it different to another note, why if you go up far enough then the two notes sound the same even though one is higher etc.
Distance-crunching honcho with echo unit.

PorkyPrimeCut
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by PorkyPrimeCut » Mon Apr 25, 2016 2:31 am

I'm guessing mine will have been songs at school too. Songs like "Sing Hosanna" where the naughty kids in assembly would deliberately shout an extra "...OF KINGS" at the end of the chorus, much to the annoyance of the very old & highly religious Mrs Walker (who played piano & had a really irritating warble when she sang).
My mum was obsessed with the B-side of Abbey Road (being moreorless one continuous track) & played that to death too so that was there from a very young age, as was the Star Wars soundtrack, played by the London Philharmonic Orchestra.

My first memory of music on TV was quite probably Queen's Bohemian Rhapsody. That fucker triggered a recurring nightmare about being left in a cage at the bottom of my grandparent's stairs as the rest of my family (cat included) left through the front door. It's still clear in my head to this day.
Last edited by PorkyPrimeCut on Mon Apr 25, 2016 5:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
You think you can't, you wish you could, I know you can, I wish you would. Slip inside this house as you pass by.

noisetape
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by noisetape » Mon Apr 25, 2016 2:40 am

the "drum intro" of Stargazer by Blacmore's Rainbow, I was maybe like 6 years old something like that.

the very first rocking drum I heard in my life. I always felt like a small kid again whenever I listen to that song.
https://reyreymusic.bandcamp.com/

Arthon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Arthon » Fri Apr 29, 2016 7:26 am

"you can't always get what you want" from the Rolling Stones and u2 "One Love" in my father's car. Epic memory.
The Blues Cartographer
(sorry for the spelling, I speak french)

RuffiansFC
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by RuffiansFC » Fri Sep 24, 2021 12:22 am

My dad played guitar and did sound, so I was around music from birth. Nothing was really too distinguishable, but there was a lot of punk and southern rock (basically all the live music around in early 80s Jacksonville).

JSett
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JSett » Fri Sep 24, 2021 12:28 am

My father dancing, drunk (as he always was), to Contact by Edwin Starr.

That and me & my brother had a 12" of the Jungle Book songs we'd play on the record player in our room when we were about 4-6 years old. Being hyperactive little shits it was almost always played on 45rpm instead of 33 1/3rpm

Also, my mum playing Puff the Magic Dragon and Country Road on her old Spanish guitar (the one I first picked up).

My childhood memories have mostly gone thanks to my teenage years and associated drug issues/subsequent brain damage.
Silly Rabbit, don't you know scooped mids are for kids?

Axolotl
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Axolotl » Fri Sep 24, 2021 12:56 am

My first music memory is Vivaldi's four seasons. I would listen to it in my parent's records player, my hands clasped in fascination while hearing the music and watching the record spin for endless hours, almost in tracnce - I even have a pic my dad took. I was between 3 and 4 years old.

Then my sister made me listen to Kiss. :freako:

Plumerai
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Plumerai » Fri Sep 24, 2021 2:58 am

probably the Carpenters Top of the World. My mother usually had the radio on, so it could be anything early 70's radio had to offer (country/disco/rock/pop/holdovers from the 60's).

SadFuzz
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by SadFuzz » Fri Oct 01, 2021 3:25 am

Earliest memory of music is a videotape my dad had of a status quo concert in which i dubbed francis rossi "the green man" rick parfitt "the angry man" john coghlan "the drumming man" and john edwards (or possibly alan lancaster) "the man man"
I was 3.

I can also remember being sung songs by my mum before going to sleep.
icerinkband.bandcamp.com

shoule79
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shoule79 » Fri Oct 01, 2021 11:10 am

Either being woken up by loud polka music on Sunday mornings or some kind of old country playing in the house. Boxcar Willie, Johnny Cash, Stompin Tom, etc.

For more contemporary music it was probably a cousin and I finding his dads cassette collection and putting on stuff like Zeppelin, CCR and Sabbath. Around that same time too I started digging through the records my older siblings left when they moved out. Nazareth, AC/DC, Queen, and some REM, Depeche Mode, Gary Numan, Siousxie and the Banshees, Human League type stuff.

s_mcsleazy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by s_mcsleazy » Sat Oct 02, 2021 7:37 am

shoule79 wrote:
Fri Oct 01, 2021 11:10 am
being woken up by loud polka music on Sunday mornings
i'm sorry but this is the first thing that popped into my head when i read that.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NUYvbT6vTPs
offset guitars resident bass player.
'Are you trying to seduce me Mrs Robinson? Or do you just want me to solder a couple of resistors into your Muff?'