Finally picked up a Jazzmaster after 20 years.

New to the board? Start a post to tell us about yourself and/or learn more about our other members.
tbonesullivan
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Finally picked up a Jazzmaster after 20 years.

Post by tbonesullivan » Thu Oct 22, 2020 7:11 am

I'd been thinking on and off about getting a Jazzmaster for years. When the American Professional series came out in 2017-2018, I thought I would pick up one, but never got around to it. But the itch was still there. I saw the American Performer series, but with that strat-type tremolo, I didn't really want one. That was the same reservation I had with the G&L Doheny. I wanted a real jazzmaster with a real jazzmaster trem.

Well, I was cruising and noticed that Musicians Friend still had some "open box" examples, including one in Mystic Seafoam, so I jumped on it. I have not found anything wrong with it, or any type of damage/wear. Of course, two days after I ordered, the American Professional II line was announced, but the "Mystic Surf Green" is just not doing it for me, and I really don't have interest in the features they added, like the rhythm circuit, which is now a series circuit.

So, here it is. I will have to put on some .010 strings, as the .009s are just too loose for me. I also need to look into how to properly set up the bridge and neck angle, as I know that the tremolo really needs a specific break angle to get the right function and sound. I look forward to posting here!

Veitchy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Finally picked up a Jazzmaster after 20 years.

Post by Veitchy » Thu Oct 22, 2020 1:55 pm

Nice work on the new guitar. Shimming and adjusting the neck isn't the dark art that it sometimes gets made out as. A search here should bring up plenty of info. Mike Adams also wrote a good setup guide that's on Guitar Player's (pretty sure it's Guitar Player) website - that's got a buncha photos if you don't mind a visual guide too.

Either way I'm sure you'll enjoy your instrument.

marqueemoon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by marqueemoon » Thu Oct 22, 2020 3:13 pm

Nice. One of the best colors Fender has done in recent years IMO.

tbonesullivan
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by tbonesullivan » Thu Oct 22, 2020 4:39 pm

marqueemoon wrote:
Thu Oct 22, 2020 3:13 pm
Nice. One of the best colors Fender has done in recent years IMO.
It is! I saw the new "Mystic SURF" Color, and honestly it is quite underwhelming, IMHO.

tbonesullivan
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by tbonesullivan » Thu Oct 22, 2020 4:45 pm

Veitchy wrote:
Thu Oct 22, 2020 1:55 pm
Nice work on the new guitar. Shimming and adjusting the neck isn't the dark art that it sometimes gets made out as. A search here should bring up plenty of info. Mike Adams also wrote a good setup guide that's on Guitar Player's (pretty sure it's Guitar Player) website - that's got a buncha photos if you don't mind a visual guide too.

Either way I'm sure you'll enjoy your instrument.
Well, there always is the micro-tilt adjustment... But many have said that is not really the best way to adjust the neck angle. I also have had to change the shims on my EBMM Luke III and on my Stingray 5 bass, so I'm not afraid to do that. I am one of the "enlightened" that realizes that shimming is a valuable tool to get a well set up bolt on guitar.

I found the Mike Adams thing on Premier Guitar, so I'm reading it now. I am currently trying to figure out if the bridge on the Am Pro jazzmaster is even height adjustable in any way. According to the Mike Adams article, the Am Pro has an angled neck pocket, so really shouldn't require a shim.

timtam
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by timtam » Thu Oct 22, 2020 7:31 pm

tbonesullivan wrote:
Thu Oct 22, 2020 4:45 pm
Well, there always is the micro-tilt adjustment... But many have said that is not really the best way to adjust the neck angle. I also have had to change the shims on my EBMM Luke III and on my Stingray 5 bass, so I'm not afraid to do that. I am one of the "enlightened" that realizes that shimming is a valuable tool to get a well set up bolt on guitar.

I found the Mike Adams thing on Premier Guitar, so I'm reading it now. I am currently trying to figure out if the bridge on the Am Pro jazzmaster is even height adjustable in any way. According to the Mike Adams article, the Am Pro has an angled neck pocket, so really shouldn't require a shim.
Yeah skip the microtilt. And with the inbuilt pocket angle (~1deg) you probably won't need to shim. The bridge has grub screws inside the posts that adjust with a 0.05" allen key.
"I just knew I wanted to make a sound that was the complete opposite of a Les Paul, and that’s pretty much a Jaguar." Rowland S. Howard.

tbonesullivan
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by tbonesullivan » Fri Oct 23, 2020 4:56 am

timtam wrote:
Thu Oct 22, 2020 7:31 pm
Yeah skip the microtilt. And with the inbuilt pocket angle (~1deg) you probably won't need to shim. The bridge has grub screws inside the posts that adjust with a 0.05" allen key.
Fender was kind enough to include truss rod and bridge allen keys in the "case candy" that came with it. Definitely a difference, as often they used to never put anything with most guitars, afraid you'd break them.

The most important thing though is definitely changing the strings from 009s to .010s. I've also thought about putting some flatwounds on it.

Veitchy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Veitchy » Fri Oct 23, 2020 3:59 pm

Ah yes, I forgot about the angled neck pockets. If they're at 1 deg from the factory you may be alright.