Learning to Build My First Jaguar

New to the board? Start a post to tell us about yourself and/or learn more about our other members.
JackFawkes
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Learning to Build My First Jaguar

Post by JackFawkes » Tue Feb 01, 2022 11:21 pm

Hello everyone!

I'm building my first solid body electric guitar this year and spent a lot of free time last year planning and reading; and of all the forums I read, this is one that I kept finding myself come back to.

I'm no guitar god, just a hobbyist who plays to himself (and very occasionally with a few friends). I've always used an old '90s Stratocaster, which has served me well; but the few times I've played a Jaguar I've really liked the shorter scale and additional slight curvature to the fretboard, so that's what I'm going to build. But I haven't been charmed by the rhythm circuit, so I'm planning to do something different with all that switching real estate. (Also, I played with the PTB controls on an G&L with humbuckers once and though it was really neat!)

I've already ordered the body from MJT and the neck from Musikraft, and I've got some Seymour Duncan P-Rails to fill it. I anticipate that I'll probably be using the P90's most of the time, followed by the humbuckers, and maybe the rails on rare occasion.
Since I don't like the look of the SD Triple Shots, instead I'm thinking about using the upper-bout to house two 3-way switches and one or two 2-way switches. For the hexagonal switch plate I'll use a 3-way toggle with one or two 2-way switches; and master volume, treble cut, and bass cut controls.

I'm hoping to lean on all of your knowledge and experience for this build, especially to make sure I get the right hardware.
Things like: Should I get a Staytrem bridge, or will a Mustang be good enough? Which model tremolo should I source?

I look forward to getting to discuss all of this and more with you all as I embark on this journey!

Jack