Caught the bug

New to the board? Start a post to tell us about yourself and/or learn more about our other members.
walterwiseman
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Caught the bug

Post by walterwiseman » Thu May 16, 2024 1:23 am

Hi all,

Sporadic long-time lurker, first time poster. Have dipped in and out of the forum over the years as I've always been interested in offsets, but previously never quite “got” them enough to pick one up, preferring to just cast my gaze from afar.

However, just before covid I got in touch with Scott at SC Relics (now Golden Era) to have a mustang body and neck done. I had him do the body in sonic blue with checking and relicing on the heavier side. Were I to have another done, I think I’d probably opt for much lighter relicing, but Scott’s work is stellar and was exactly what I asked for. I still smile every time I look at the guitar. I’m aware Scott mostly works with allparts necks, but as far as I can recall he had this one made for me with a deep c profile. Easily the best neck I’ve ever owned.

Unfortunately, by the time I’d got the body/neck the first lockdown was in full swing. I’d ordered most of the hardware and parts from the US and had them shipped to my friend in California who I was planning on visiting, intending to bring them back with me. That ended up not happening until March this year, so the body and neck had sat patiently in a box on the top of my shelf for four years. Once I got back, I eagerly got everything together and set to work. I had an absolute blast throughout, though I did have my first experience with pickguard inconsistency so ended up having to source another. I initially had some issue with getting the pickups (creamery mustang-90 single coil p90s – amazing by the way) to fit cleanly so had to expand the pickup cavity slightly which was a little scary. I also had some fun with the wiring, combining some mods I’d come across: One of the sliders switches between i. bridge, ii. bridge+neck in parallel/in phase, iii. neck. The other switch is an override that puts both pickups in series. I combined that with a push-pull tone pot which puts the bridge pickup in and out of phase. The guitar still needs some setting up and fiddling with but is otherwise very playable and I can’t put it down. I'm no photographer, but some pics here for those interested: https://imgur.com/a/N0YnBer
[to those with eagle-eyes, I’m aware some of the pickguard screws aren’t screwed all the way in ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)]

This is probably far too much for an introduction post, but all this simply to emphasise that I’ve caught the bug/I see the light/I’m now an ardent acolyte of the cult of offsets etc, et al, and have half a dozen planned offset projects on the go in my head just itching to go. This is an amazing community with a wealth of knowledge so thanks to everyone here.

Walter

derekstudt
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Re: Caught the bug

Post by derekstudt » Thu May 16, 2024 4:57 am

Welcome!

F15hface
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by F15hface » Mon May 27, 2024 5:19 am

Welcome aboard! Beautiful mustang, love the knobs especially.

GilmourD
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by GilmourD » Mon May 27, 2024 6:15 am

Welcome! Don't worry about a verbose introduction. I met my wife online and her writing back practical books is what won me over. Tomorrow she defends her doctoral thesis, so it all makes sense. LOL

Prepare yourself for more offsets. It's definitely a thing. I got one Jaguar April of last year. Then built a Jazzmaster out of parts. Now I have something like a dozen offsets of all different flavors. LOL

That Mustang is delicious looking and making me want to finish painting the second body I have. Just waiting for good weather.

walterwiseman
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by walterwiseman » Wed May 29, 2024 8:43 am

Thank you both for your kind comments.
GilmourD wrote:
Mon May 27, 2024 6:15 am
Prepare yourself for more offsets. It's definitely a thing. I got one Jaguar April of last year. Then built a Jazzmaster out of parts. Now I have something like a dozen offsets of all different flavors. LOL
Tell me about it. I have preliminary plans for Jaguar, Jazzmaster, Bass VI, Marauder and Starcaster builds at the moment. Going to have to be very careful. Don't have room for them! Is there a thread(s) where I can see your builds?

Looking forward to seeing how your Mustang turns out, and hope your wife's defence went well!

GilmourD
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by GilmourD » Wed May 29, 2024 10:06 am

walterwiseman wrote:
Wed May 29, 2024 8:43 am
Thank you both for your kind comments.
Of course! We're all in this together in the end. :D
walterwiseman wrote:
GilmourD wrote:
Mon May 27, 2024 6:15 am
Tell me about it. I have preliminary plans for Jaguar, Jazzmaster, Bass VI, Marauder and Starcaster builds at the moment. Going to have to be very careful. Don't have room for them!
Yeah... I get that... I just got myself one of these stands because it was the Stupid Deal of the Day at MF last week or so. So, now I have three racks that each hold seven guitars, plus nine hanging off the walls, and a few individual stands. :whistle: :wtf:
walterwiseman wrote:
Is there a thread(s) where I can see your builds?
Sadly, I always promise myself that I'm going to document my insanity... And then I don't. I'm utterly terrible at posting what *I* end up actually doing. ADHD is a PITA. LOL
walterwiseman wrote:
Looking forward to seeing how your Mustang turns out, and hope your wife's defence went well!
Hopefully the Mustang turns out as well as my wife's defense since she's now just waiting for the actual diploma before putting "Dr" before her name! :w00t:

itsmemw
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by itsmemw » Fri Jun 07, 2024 7:46 pm

Love the paint on that Mustang body! Looks great.

BeardedRainbow
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by BeardedRainbow » Sat Jun 15, 2024 2:54 pm

Those knobs look perfect on there. Now I want some.