New guy from Texas

New to the board? Start a post to tell us about yourself and/or learn more about our other members.
Fender Addiction
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

New guy from Texas

Post by Fender Addiction » Thu Jun 27, 2019 5:28 pm

Hey everyone!
First post on the OSG... not new to offset guitars. In 1966 my father purchased a Fender Jazzmaster and two years later I was born. These are not related incidents...

As it turns out, when I was a kid, we did not listen to the rock and roll in my house, we were raised on "both kinds... country AND western." So, my father played in a couple local country bands with his Jazzmaster. Imagine my surprise when I got older and I heard folks saying that Jazzmasters were surf guitars and not really suited to country music.

At any rate, Dad passed on in 2002 and I became the keeper of the Jazzmaster. He kept it meticulously clean, but never had maintenance done on it. The frets were worn down to almost nothing, the nut was getting a little thin on the high E side, and the pots scratched. He had dropped out of the band scene in the late 1970's and pretty much would play at family functions.

Eventually, he grew tired of lugging all the equipment to the BBQs ,and just got an acoustic guitar. Once he did that, the Jazzmaster would sit for years at a time not being played at all. Even I had stepped away from playing for a few years, and it didn't get played around here. When I picked it back up, I decided that having maintenance done and the replacement of consumables like nuts and frets would not devalue the guitar. Besides, he didn't leave it to me because it was worth money... he left it to me so I would play it and take care of it.

I do have other guitars and am actually in the middle of a restoration project of a 2013 Fender Jazzmaster American Special. It looks like it was either driven over or was put in a shredder. I'm not kidding... the body was in 3 pieces. I'll start a thread on it... I am at the "body fill" stage. The glue up went well... as well as you can glue up 3 shattered pieces of an offset guitar body, anyway...

Thanks for reading my novel... I do tend to ramble, but I also like to think my ramblings are interesting. Thanks for reading and keep playing!

Steve
“Dewey Cox has to think about his whole life before he plays.” - Sam McPherson, Drummer for Dewey Cox

Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: New guy from Texas

Post by Larry Mal » Thu Jun 27, 2019 6:05 pm

Great story... welcome to the site, Steve.
Back in those days, everyone knew that if you were talking about Destiny's Child, you were talking about Beyonce, LaTavia, LeToya, and Larry.