New Offset Owner - 2 in a month!!!

New to the board? Start a post to tell us about yourself and/or learn more about our other members.
DAKnox
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

New Offset Owner - 2 in a month!!!

Post by DAKnox » Wed Jul 17, 2019 4:38 am

New member, here - first post.

For over 20 years I was a Tele guy. Then about a month ago, I saw a Jazzmaster on Gumtree. It was such a good price, I thought I'll buy it and give it a go. If I don't get on with it, I can move it on and not lose anything. But it was great - a Classic Player - black with tort guide in great condition.

Then I saw a guy looking for a trade on his Japanese Jaguar. I had 2 Teles, so I offered one up for trade (a US Standard - and I added cash!) and I am so glad I did. I absolutely love the Jag. Definitely my favorite of the 2 - so nice to play. It's a 94/95 Made in Japan - Fuji Gen according to an online serial checker I used.

Loads of questions. About the bridge mostly -

1. The Classic Player has the tremolo plate closer to the bridge - I have it set up with 10's - seems OK - no need for bridge swap or buzz stop or anything here? Adjusto-matic bridge seems OK, I do prefer the appearance of a more traditional looking bridge but if it does the job OK I can live with it. So is keeping this stock with 10s a good way to go?

2. The Jag came with a Mustang bridge on it and a buzz stop. Seller also gave me the original bridge. I removed the buzzstop as I wasn't sure it was really necessary and prefer the idea of the original design. I kept the mustang bride on rather than the original and I installed 11s. Again, this all seems OK. The spacing of the original and mustang saddles look identical, but the high e is not above the bridge pole piece. Its more to the outside of it. (neck PUP is totally aligned). Slightly off centre on the other unwound strings too. But - it looks like it woudl be like that with the original bridge too to be honest. IS this OK? Sounds fine. Don't know if it matters too much and it plays really nice. Is this the way to go? No buzz stop, mustang instead of original bridge and 11s?

Anyway loving both these offsets.,

chemattstry
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: New Offset Owner - 2 in a month!!!

Post by chemattstry » Mon Jul 22, 2019 3:58 am

1. I kind of switch between 10s and 11s on my Jazzmaster. I prefer the 11s, personally as the 10s feel too “loose” to me. It’s really a preference thing and I don’t do a lot of bends.

2. I think you’re fine with that bridge on that guitar. Lots of people (myself included) use a Mustang style bridge on their offsets.

chemattstry
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by chemattstry » Mon Jul 22, 2019 3:59 am

3. Post pics of these guitars!

DAKnox
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by DAKnox » Wed Jul 24, 2019 12:08 am

Love both of these! Took the buzzstop off the Jaguar and it's fine without. Honestly don't have a favourite yet but loving getting to know them!!!