Hello from Australia & Jaguar question

New to the board? Start a post to tell us about yourself and/or learn more about our other members.
82asch
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Hello from Australia & Jaguar question

Post by 82asch » Wed Jan 15, 2020 5:11 pm

Hello from south east Australia. I recently took up playing again after about a fifteen year hiatus and pulled out my two guitars that were in storage. I traded my SG for a Mosrite Avenger - which is awesome and also did some mods to my MIJ Stratocaster that turned out great. Bought an amp and am really enjoying playing again. Now for a question...

I have always liked Jaguars and recently got a Squier Classic Vibe '70s Jaguar body for next to nothing from Tasmania. The guy had taken all the hardware out off it. Don't know why considering how new it is but hey, cheap start for a project! Question I have is regarding the compatibility of hardware. My understanding is that the Squier Vintage Modified Jaguar is compatible with the American Vintage reissue hardware specifically the vibrato and scratch plate. Was wondering if anyone knows if the CV '70s is also compatible with American Vintage reissue hardware? I like the idea of this from the perspective of using a push in arm with a button and also a nice parchment pick guard without having to drill any extra holes. Thanks in advance for any info and apologies if I have put a question in the wrong spot.

Danley
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Hello from Australia & Jaguar question

Post by Danley » Wed Jan 15, 2020 5:32 pm

I have an AVRI bridge on my Squier VM Jazzmaster, it fits fine; AV bridge and vibrato should similarly work on your CV. No clue about the pickguard, but I def. recommend the AV hardware (vibrato/bridge) above the stock Squier stuff - and not just because of the arm and lock button.
King Buzzo: I love when people come up to me and say “Your guitar sound was better on Stoner Witch, when you used a Les Paul. “...I used a Fender Mustang reissue on that, dumbass!

timtam
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Hello from Australia & Jaguar question

Post by timtam » Wed Jan 15, 2020 5:59 pm

I have a parts jag based on VM Squier body, with different parts for the Am Pro wiring I wanted. Am Pro upper control plates, stock main control plate. Classic Player neck and trem. Asian-source ebay pickguard of unknown derivation (the better sources publish their screw-to-screw distances so you can check against your body holes). Needed to move several pickguard screw holes, and slightly file the edges that mate with the control plates - jags are a bit more difficult because of that metal-plastic edge matching issue. If you get parts from a single source you can assume that the plastic and metal will match, but the screw holes may or may not match the body holes. The main thing is that the pickguard fits the neck end contour and the bridge thimble holes - that will then 'lock' the pickguard position with little wiggle room, that everything else then has to comply with.

Or you could wait to see if Stratosphere parts out a 70s CV jag to get those exact parts (albeit with ridiculous international shipping charges).
"I just knew I wanted to make a sound that was the complete opposite of a Les Paul, and that’s pretty much a Jaguar." Rowland S. Howard.