After all these years I realized I’m a Mustang guy

New to the board? Start a post to tell us about yourself and/or learn more about our other members.
deejaid
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

After all these years I realized I’m a Mustang guy

Post by deejaid » Sat Apr 04, 2020 8:18 am

I grew up a child of the 80’s, older uncles sharing with me Hendrix, Zepplin, Thin Lizzy, Scorpions and the like. Loved it all. By the late 80’s as I was just entering my teen years Hair Bands had driven me to hip-hop, so 1991 and the release of Nevermind was a welcoming change to the musical landscape. While Kurt played Mustang’s, I always leaned a little harder and was more of a Soundgarden or Alice In Chains fan. The heavy sounds of a Les Paul from the classic 1970’s album were still the sounds in my head.

When I started playing guitar I bought an Epiphone Dot, a Tele, some other two humbucker guitars, and finally a Les Paul. I’d had my dream guitar. Sounded thick. The sound I’d heard so often. But damn this thing is heavy. And the ergonomics or lack there of made playing it a chore. Careful what you wish for right?

—— 1960’s Fender, $250 ———

A Craigslist ad for a beat up old a Fender Mustang. I’m not a Mustang guy but it will be a cool project and my kids can play it, I thought. Well this guitar has everything. Light weight. Great sound. Perfect neck. What else could I want? Well, it’s not what the hard rockers of the past used. How can I settle for a “student” guitar. All the guitar forums tell me I need a Strat, and a Tele, and a Les Paul, minimum you be a guitarist......

My Mustang found me. We found each other really. It needed to be saved and I needed to find the guitar that inspires me to make music. All my other electric guitars are for sale. I joined this forum as I want to see and hear and learn more about these lowly student guitars.

So, after all these years thinking I was a different type of guitar guy, I am a Mustang guy.

zhivago
Mods
Mods

Re: After all these years I realized I’m a Mustang guy

Post by zhivago » Sat Apr 04, 2020 1:52 pm

My first ever vintage guitar was a '74-ish sunburst Mustang...great guitar! :)

Welcome to the forum! 8)
Resident Spartan.