New jazzmaster lover from Scotland

New to the board? Start a post to tell us about yourself and/or learn more about our other members.
User avatar
Glasgowm82
PAT PEND
PAT PEND
Posts: 22
Joined: Mon Sep 21, 2020 11:30 pm

New jazzmaster lover from Scotland

Post by Glasgowm82 » Thu Sep 24, 2020 8:12 am

Hi all! Long time lover of jazzmasters after a college lecturer let me try their original 62 jazzmaster. That sound!!!! Getting a blue vintera jazzmaster tomorrow and already pestering my luthier friend to check the supplier sites for my upgrade plans. Where is everyone from? Any Other Brits? If I could figure how to add pics I’d show off my little Squier vintage modified. But alas, further training required.

User avatar
andy_tchp
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 6364
Joined: Fri Apr 02, 2010 1:36 am
Location: Brisbane

Re: New jazzmaster lover from Scotland

Post by andy_tchp » Mon Oct 05, 2020 3:22 pm

Welcome!
Glasgowm82 wrote:
Thu Sep 24, 2020 8:12 am
Hi all! Long time lover of jazzmasters after a college lecturer let me try their original 62 jazzmaster. That sound!!!! Getting a blue vintera jazzmaster tomorrow and already pestering my luthier friend to check the supplier sites for my upgrade plans. Where is everyone from? Any Other Brits?
'Everywhere' :)

Off the top of my head there are several others in/around Glasgow itself, plenty in the UK, Finland, France, Belgium, Netherlands, Germany, Austria, Spain, Italy, Canada, USA, Japan, Malaysia, Philippines, Indonesia, Australia, New Zealand, Mexico, and the odd poster in Russia, Brazil, South Africa.

Also, for posting pics: Inserting an image.
"I don't know why we asked him to join the band 'cause the rest of us don't like country music all that much; we just like Graham Lee."
David McComb, 1987.

User avatar
Glasgowm82
PAT PEND
PAT PEND
Posts: 22
Joined: Mon Sep 21, 2020 11:30 pm

Re: New jazzmaster lover from Scotland

Post by Glasgowm82 » Mon Oct 05, 2020 10:08 pm

Hi Andy. Only just saw your reply. Offset guitars needs an app right!? Good to know there’s some locals on here, where in the uk are you from and what Jm do you have?Thanks for the info on pic posting will test that later to show off my vintera jazzmaster in ice blue metallic!

User avatar
UlricvonCatalyst
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 6334
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 4:05 am
Location: Glasgow, Scotland

Re: New jazzmaster lover from Scotland

Post by UlricvonCatalyst » Tue Oct 06, 2020 2:55 am

Welcome to the offset world, but please be aware that calling your fellow Glaswegians here "Brits" could result in a Glasgow Kiss. ;)

User avatar
andy_tchp
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 6364
Joined: Fri Apr 02, 2010 1:36 am
Location: Brisbane

Re: New jazzmaster lover from Scotland

Post by andy_tchp » Tue Oct 06, 2020 3:16 pm

Glasgowm82 wrote:
Mon Oct 05, 2020 10:08 pm
Hi Andy. Only just saw your reply. Offset guitars needs an app right!? Good to know there’s some locals on here, where in the uk are you from and what Jm do you have?Thanks for the info on pic posting will test that later to show off my vintera jazzmaster in ice blue metallic!
Oh, I'm not in the UK. I'm a few (thousand) miles away, in Australia.

I've pared things back from having 'way too many guitars' to just 'a few too many'. This is my only Jazzmaster these days:

Image

Latest update from the build thread here.
"I don't know why we asked him to join the band 'cause the rest of us don't like country music all that much; we just like Graham Lee."
David McComb, 1987.

User avatar
Maggieo
Expat
Expat
Posts: 10899
Joined: Mon Oct 02, 2006 10:36 am
Location: Nebraska, USA
Contact:

Re: New jazzmaster lover from Scotland

Post by Maggieo » Tue Oct 06, 2020 3:27 pm

UlricvonCatalyst wrote:
Tue Oct 06, 2020 2:55 am
Welcome to the offset world, but please be aware that calling your fellow Glaswegians here "Brits" could result in a Glasgow Kiss. ;)
Image
“Now I am quietly waiting for/ the catastrophe of my personality/ to seem beautiful again.”- Frank O'Hara
I am not an attorney and this post is for entertainment purposes only. Please consult a licensed attorney in your state for legal advice.

User avatar
blunderbuss
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 91
Joined: Fri Sep 11, 2020 3:58 pm

Re: New jazzmaster lover from Scotland

Post by blunderbuss » Tue Oct 06, 2020 6:34 pm

I was in Glasgow a little over a year ago. Fantastic town. Though I was introduced to the Glaswegian term amidst a taxi ride where the driver gave us many, many doubtlessly offensive terms for neighboring towns. 😭
Ryan

User avatar
Glasgowm82
PAT PEND
PAT PEND
Posts: 22
Joined: Mon Sep 21, 2020 11:30 pm

Re: New jazzmaster lover from Scotland

Post by Glasgowm82 » Thu Oct 08, 2020 2:08 am

UlricvonCatalyst wrote:
Tue Oct 06, 2020 2:55 am
Welcome to the offset world, but please be aware that calling your fellow Glaswegians here "Brits" could result in a Glasgow Kiss. ;)
Haha actual Freudian slip or something, I’m proudly Scottish but I don’t mind the south lot either haha Depends what side of Glasgow the forum members are on? I’m assuming our sectarianism is world renowned!

User avatar
Glasgowm82
PAT PEND
PAT PEND
Posts: 22
Joined: Mon Sep 21, 2020 11:30 pm

Re: New jazzmaster lover from Scotland

Post by Glasgowm82 » Thu Oct 08, 2020 2:09 am

:-*
Maggieo wrote:
Tue Oct 06, 2020 3:27 pm
UlricvonCatalyst wrote:
Tue Oct 06, 2020 2:55 am
Welcome to the offset world, but please be aware that calling your fellow Glaswegians here "Brits" could result in a Glasgow Kiss. ;)
Image
If only we could reference Tucker on here in censored....

User avatar
UlricvonCatalyst
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 6334
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 4:05 am
Location: Glasgow, Scotland

Re: New jazzmaster lover from Scotland

Post by UlricvonCatalyst » Thu Oct 08, 2020 2:46 am

Glasgowm82 wrote:
Thu Oct 08, 2020 2:08 am
UlricvonCatalyst wrote:
Tue Oct 06, 2020 2:55 am
Welcome to the offset world, but please be aware that calling your fellow Glaswegians here "Brits" could result in a Glasgow Kiss. ;)
Haha actual Freudian slip or something, I’m proudly Scottish but I don’t mind the south lot either haha Depends what side of Glasgow the forum members are on? I’m assuming our sectarianism is world renowned!
I'm very much of the "a plague on both your houses" where the sectarian divide is concerned, but I just don't identify as "a Brit". I have too much Irish in me for that not to angry up the blood.

User avatar
Glasgowm82
PAT PEND
PAT PEND
Posts: 22
Joined: Mon Sep 21, 2020 11:30 pm

Re: New jazzmaster lover from Scotland

Post by Glasgowm82 » Thu Oct 08, 2020 3:49 am

UlricvonCatalyst wrote:
Thu Oct 08, 2020 2:46 am
Glasgowm82 wrote:
Thu Oct 08, 2020 2:08 am
UlricvonCatalyst wrote:
Tue Oct 06, 2020 2:55 am
Welcome to the offset world, but please be aware that calling your fellow Glaswegians here "Brits" could result in a Glasgow Kiss. ;)
Haha actual Freudian slip or something, I’m proudly Scottish but I don’t mind the south lot either haha Depends what side of Glasgow the forum members are on? I’m assuming our sectarianism is world renowned!
I'm very much of the "a plague on both your houses" where the sectarian divide is concerned, but I just don't identify as "a Brit". I have too much Irish in me for that not to angry up the blood.
I agree on the plague. I support Thistle. Bare with me while I try post my first pic on the forum.... Image did it work?

User avatar
Glasgowm82
PAT PEND
PAT PEND
Posts: 22
Joined: Mon Sep 21, 2020 11:30 pm

Re: New jazzmaster lover from Scotland

Post by Glasgowm82 » Thu Oct 08, 2020 3:50 am

https://www.flickr.com/photos/19053207 ... ed-public/ hopefully this works. View from my sofa

MrJagsquire
PAT PEND
PAT PEND
Posts: 44
Joined: Mon Sep 14, 2020 9:52 am

Re: New jazzmaster lover from Scotland

Post by MrJagsquire » Thu Oct 08, 2020 4:50 am

Welcome...the link works, though the picture doesn't show in the thread itself like some others further back do. I didn't realise this site couldn't upload pictures directly when I joined recently (as various other guitar sites I'm on do). Shame because it means I can't post pictures of my own project/new guitars as I don't want to set up a Flicker account for this one site.

What upgrades are you planning? I've found a few UK suppliers since I got my Jaguar (Player), though to be fair most of the issues I've been able to sort with good old setting up and giving the frets/ends a polish. I was going to get a Staytrem, but found I just needed to put some thread lock on the saddle screws to stop them slipping and a shorter intonation screw on the bottom E string saddle. Still might buy one in the future, but only if these fixes don't last.

Be aware though; I joined here 2-3 weeks ago having bought a Jaguar and I'm going to try a Jazzmaster tomorrow. :whistle: ;D

User avatar
Glasgowm82
PAT PEND
PAT PEND
Posts: 22
Joined: Mon Sep 21, 2020 11:30 pm

Re: New jazzmaster lover from Scotland

Post by Glasgowm82 » Thu Oct 08, 2020 6:57 am

MrJagsquire wrote:
Thu Oct 08, 2020 4:50 am
Welcome...the link works, though the picture doesn't show in the thread itself like some others further back do. I didn't realise this site couldn't upload pictures directly when I joined recently (as various other guitar sites I'm on do). Shame because it means I can't post pictures of my own project/new guitars as I don't want to set up a Flicker account for this one site.

What upgrades are you planning? I've found a few UK suppliers since I got my Jaguar (Player), though to be fair most of the issues I've been able to sort with good old setting up and giving the frets/ends a polish. I was going to get a Staytrem, but found I just needed to put some thread lock on the saddle screws to stop them slipping and a shorter intonation screw on the bottom E string saddle. Still might buy one in the future, but only if these fixes don't last.

Be aware though; I joined here 2-3 weeks ago having bought a Jaguar and I'm going to try a Jazzmaster tomorrow. :whistle: ;D
Welcome I’m fairly new to the forum too. Always had jazzmasters tho. Funny you ask about upgrades. They just arrived... fender locking tuners, mustang bridge and mastery brushed metal tremolo! Still deciding pickups but the stock vintera ones are actually pretty damn good! What jazzmaster are you gonna see?

User avatar
UlricvonCatalyst
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 6334
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 4:05 am
Location: Glasgow, Scotland

Re: New jazzmaster lover from Scotland

Post by UlricvonCatalyst » Thu Oct 08, 2020 7:37 am

Glasgowm82 wrote:
Thu Oct 08, 2020 3:49 am
I agree on the plague. I support Thistle. Bare with me while I try post my first pic on the forum.... Image did it work?
Not quite (in my browser), but I can view it by right-clicking and opening the image in a new tab.

This never used to be an issue, but something changed at some point. It might have coincided with MS forcing the switch to Windows 10 onto everyone, or it could be an issue with Chrome.

If you want to embed images, using another photo hosting site could be the answer. I use Deviant Art, personally, but even then I have to open my image in a new tab and copy the (reeeeeeally long) URL from that, as opposed to the short version on Deviant.

To illustrate, I can do this with the new tab function....

Image

....or this if I copy the DA url....

Image

Not really sure why the latter just shows that wee graphic with 'Image' next to it, but at least I figured out the workaround. Eventually.

Post Reply