DODGY STRATOSPHERE

New to the board? Start a post to tell us about yourself and/or learn more about our other members.
User avatar
MrJagsquire
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 51
Joined: Mon Sep 14, 2020 9:52 am

Re: DODGY STRATOSPHERE

Post by MrJagsquire » Wed Oct 14, 2020 5:32 am

We can dream...would be great if that happens as I get tired of searching for things only to find the seller is in USA. I don't know what the typical extra costs are on top, but I once got my fingers burnt buying a piece of home cinema gear from the USA and it had to go back for repairs...I got charged twice for customs and VAT, the second time was much more than the first, so not even consistent. Maybe I should have filled a form in similar to what you did, but I just accepted it (great piece of kit in the end once sorted), but just decided importing is too much hassle.

I thought I'd found a set of pickups this morning, sold from Spain, but still a decent price allowing for postage, then noticed that they were sold but still showing as a search result on Reverb. ???

It's just annoying that most searches for guitar parts seem to end up on Stratosphere site, it's like they have a monopoly on parts. >:(

User avatar
Francer
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 427
Joined: Mon Sep 14, 2015 10:11 am
Location: Uk

Re: DODGY STRATOSPHERE

Post by Francer » Tue Oct 20, 2020 1:56 pm

MrJagsquire wrote:
Wed Oct 14, 2020 2:34 am
Thanks for the info about import taxes and charges; everytime I'm looking for something it seems to end up being available and apparently cheaper from the USA. Once you add those sort of charges on and the hassle like in your case, it doesn't seem worth it. I'm currently looking for a set of '65 Pure Vintage Jaguar pickups, but can't find any in the UK new or used (except one rip off place that wants 30% more than the usual price ::) ). Plenty available in the USA via eBay, but if they arrive faulty then not worth the agro.
I think pickups will be below the cost threshold for UK import duty, can’t remember the exact value, something like £130 perhaps? You could buy brand new from a US dealer, pretty unlikely to be faulty.

Naturally you will do your own research to confirm this before making a purchase.

User avatar
MrJagsquire
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 51
Joined: Mon Sep 14, 2020 9:52 am

Re: DODGY STRATOSPHERE

Post by MrJagsquire » Tue Oct 20, 2020 11:51 pm

Francer wrote:
Tue Oct 20, 2020 1:56 pm
I think pickups will be below the cost threshold for UK import duty, can’t remember the exact value, something like £130 perhaps? You could buy brand new from a US dealer, pretty unlikely to be faulty.

Naturally you will do your own research to confirm this before making a purchase.
Thanks Francer; I'll have to look into that as I didn't know there was a threshold.

User avatar
Francer
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 427
Joined: Mon Sep 14, 2015 10:11 am
Location: Uk

Re: DODGY STRATOSPHERE

Post by Francer » Wed Oct 21, 2020 4:06 am

MrJagsquire wrote:
Tue Oct 20, 2020 11:51 pm
Francer wrote:
Tue Oct 20, 2020 1:56 pm
I think pickups will be below the cost threshold for UK import duty, can’t remember the exact value, something like £130 perhaps? You could buy brand new from a US dealer, pretty unlikely to be faulty.

Naturally you will do your own research to confirm this before making a purchase.
Thanks Francer; I'll have to look into that as I didn't know there was a threshold.
It looks like it’s £135 according to https://www.gov.uk/goods-sent-from-abroad/tax-and-duty.

But don’t forget, that’s not the same as VAT which I think you’ll still need to pay.

User avatar
MrJagsquire
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 51
Joined: Mon Sep 14, 2020 9:52 am

Re: DODGY STRATOSPHERE

Post by MrJagsquire » Wed Oct 21, 2020 9:00 am

Yes I'd come across similar info. I checked and the price of new ones from the USA, plus VAT and shipping isn't really much of a saving at all to be honest. I might as well just order them from a UK shop and just wait for stock as I'm not in a hurry for them. I've got a blank pickguard to cut while I'm waiting. :)

User avatar
Steadyriot.
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 773
Joined: Wed Mar 09, 2011 2:16 pm
Location: The Netherlands

Re: DODGY STRATOSPHERE

Post by Steadyriot. » Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:26 pm

MrJagsquire wrote:
Wed Oct 14, 2020 2:34 am
Thanks for the info about import taxes and charges; everytime I'm looking for something it seems to end up being available and apparently cheaper from the USA. Once you add those sort of charges on and the hassle like in your case, it doesn't seem worth it. I'm currently looking for a set of '65 Pure Vintage Jaguar pickups, but can't find any in the UK new or used (except one rip off place that wants 30% more than the usual price ::) ). Plenty available in the USA via eBay, but if they arrive faulty then not worth the agro.
Thomann has them..
"If someone duetted with a Bald Eagle, they could rule the Country charts from here to eternity." ~shadowplay

User avatar
MrJagsquire
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 51
Joined: Mon Sep 14, 2020 9:52 am

Re: DODGY STRATOSPHERE

Post by MrJagsquire » Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:54 pm

Yes, but with a 15-17 week wait. :squint:

But lets not turn the OP's thread into a search for pickups for me. :blush:

User avatar
zhivago
Mods
Mods
Posts: 20877
Joined: Tue Sep 12, 2006 6:18 am
Location: London, UK

Re: DODGY STRATOSPHERE

Post by zhivago » Thu Oct 22, 2020 2:21 am

MrJagsquire wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:54 pm
Yes, but with a 15-17 week wait. :squint:

But lets not turn the OP's thread into a search for pickups for me. :blush:
I wouldn't worry about it...this is probably the most off-topic member introduction thread in OSG history.
Resident Spartan.

Post Reply